Thread: Red Shirt Lake to Flat Horn Lake

Default Red Shirt Lake to Flat Horn Lake

So I've been studying this route for most of the winter and I still can't get in touch with a ranger, but I'll keep calling. I had a few questions for him about the route. Have any of you done this one, or heard of it being done with a canoe or kayak?

I would take my kayak, since it has much less draft than a canoe, and the creek that connects the two lakes seems like it has a few jams and shallow spots. It's about 30 miles, so two days would cover it I assume. I'll be fishing and taking my time.

Any tips or comments you could provide on this topic would be appreciated.
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Ripface View Post
    So I've been studying this route for most of the winter and I still can't get in touch with a ranger, but I'll keep calling. I had a few questions for him about the route. Have any of you done this one, or heard of it being done with a canoe or kayak? .....
    I haven't done Fish Creek, but I've done another creek in Susitna Flats State Game Refuse in a canoe.

They get so shallow in spots you walk it while dragging the canoe. Beaver dams abound, and you have to manhandle your craft over them often.

The shorter the craft the better. A 15' is easier than an 18' due to the curvy nature of the waterway.

Be prepared to cut lots of brush.

There are lots of moose and black bear, and no people.

I saw your old post about floating from Redshirt to Flathorn Lake. My understanding is that Fish and Game used to do it years ago in a canoe and tear out all the logjambs and beaver dams on the way to improooove the route for salmon. Just what I heard from some of my neighbors out there. I have the A frame white cabin on your right as you are coming down the Fish Creek slough in Flathorn Lake.
    If you make the trip , I would be really interested in hearing from you about how it was. Flathorn

Hi Ripface. I practically grew up on Red Shirt and have canoed the whole thing 4 times and various parts of it many times over the last 25 years or so. Last time took 4 days to Flathorn Lake. Flathorn is correct when he mentions how F&G USED to blast beaver dams to help the reds and silvers get into Red Shirt. Seems to me that since the pike have basically eliminated the runs that doesnt happen anymore, in fact the last time I canoed a little past Cow Lake there was a nice lodge under construction. It is a really cool float with varying river depths and bottoms. Everything from deep rocky holes to shallow weedy mosquito havens, and you WILL do a fair amount of portaging. There are bears and moose all along the route. The rainbow fishing used to be fantastic until the pike became dominant, but I wouldnt be surprised to see a few down low.