Thread: New to Alaska Moose Hunting

Cool New to Alaska Moose Hunting

Been in Alaska for 1 year now, and I love to hunt and fish, But the US Army has seen fit to send me to Afganhanstan so I Missed Moose season, but did get to spring bear hunt ( with no luck), but plan to make up for all the hunting and fishing missed. I was interested in any advice or tips to hunt Alaska with out the use of a guide( like to do my own hunting hit or miss) or spending thousands of dollars, I rifle and Bow hunt, along with the wife who rifle hunts. Any advice on Moose, Caribou, Bear, Deer etc would be great. Look forward to the help.

weseod, first, thank you for your service.as far as hunting advice, your in the right place. I think so much has been discussed about specific hunts I recomend you use the "search " feature in this site. When you narrow down an area and type of game then you can ask specific questions.Stay safe.

As one well respected old timer on here would say: "Its all about boots in the field...."

the more time you spend out and about this winter, spring, summer, fall etc. you more you will learn about where you wanna hunt, when, and how you you wanna do it.....look up some past threads on this forum- tons of valuable info you can look up for research....but really though, you can do all the reading in the world, talk to everyone and follow their advice, and all that, and still not get a shot at anything....so the best route to go is to JUST GET OUT THERE and see for yourself.....

you dont need a guide to have a great successful hunt, and you can do it on a pretty easy budget, within a couple hours drive of anchorage....without atvs or a boat even, but you have to be ready to commit to the hard parts....

best advice i can give you....

Thank you for your service to our country.... If you are up for it I could show you some decent places relatively close for moose and black bears.....

Release Lake Trout

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

One of the first things to do is figure what you can afford to spend. Maybe it doesn't have to be thousands of dollars, but the fact is everything costs. Once you figure out what you are willing to spend, you can proceed with planning a hunt or two within that budget.

Where are you stationed? If at JBER, I'd be happy to sit down with you over a cup of coffee or a beer to discuss options. The application period for drawing permits is about to start (November 1st), so looking over those options might be a place to start. You're able to hunt all of the species you mentioned with general season harvest tickets (over-the-counter tags), but the drawing permits can sometimes enable you to hunt areas with easier access, better game populations, or less competition. Anyhow, I know no secrets, but I'd be happy to spend an hour looking over maps and talking ideas. If you're stationed elsewhere, I'd bet someone else might chime in.

For the time being, spend some time on here and read, read, read as much as possible. Your question is much more detailed than you might realize. It's a huge state with countless opportunities, so once you read enough reports and get a better idea of what you're hoping to do folks might be able to offer specific advice. Things to consider are preferred species, preferred means of access, time available to hunt, budget, etc.

Stationed on JBER but live in Wasilla, dont like to live in big cities, I plan to retire in AK if all goes well. I got the truck and 4 wheelers do do the hunting, but any help is much appericated. My feeling is worst day in the woods is better than a great day at work.

First - Download a copy of the draw supplement. http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/li..._draw_supp.pdf

There are lots of hunts for residents and non residents...although, residents seem to have more opportunities. I'd give you more information but am just wet enuf behind the ears myself... and those that posted above would likely have more useful information (based on years of first hand experiences) for you.

For starter hunts, consider the nelchina caribou herd. If you go the tier route, I believe the tag is about automatic but you can't hunt moose outside unit 13. They can be hunted under all sorts of permits (tier or draw tags). If you go the draw tag route, you can hunt in unit 13 and other parts of the state for moose. I had a draw tag last year and had fun getting my first bou. Got to see part of unit 13 in the process.

After you read the regulations .. get familiar with hunt boundaries ... familiarize yourself with the draw permits ... I'm sure you'll have more questions. After the draw results are posted, its time for the black bear baiting season, time to have those scouting trips, and finalizing the fall hunting schedule.

Are you deploying with 4-25 or are you going to be here for next years moose season? I live in wasilla if you ever want to get together let me know

Buy a Suzuki Quad Runner. The best way you could possibly start, IMO.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

have 2 4 wheelers