Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anybody Hunt with a M-44 or Mosin Nagant 7.62 x 54R?

Default Anybody Hunt with a M-44 or Mosin Nagant 7.62 x 54R?

Just curious if anybody hunts with theses guns. I have both and love them. Very accurate and reliable and seems
    to me a decent round for big game. After you guys stop laughing let me know your thoughts.

I think you are going to get an ear full from our friend out in NW Alaska...

What do you mean? Is it a good earful?

I just got a M-44 and like it. Stranger probably takes a hundred head of game a year with Nagants
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

They seem to be the new poor manís hunting rifle in Alaska, they do just fine.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

What did you pay for it? Just curious. I bought mine in a Tallahassee Pawn shop for $140. Its in great shape the metal looks almost new
    and it was made in 46

Quote Originally Posted by tabmarine View Post
    What did you pay for it? Just curious. I bought mine in a Tallahassee Pawn shop for $140. Its in great shape the metal looks almost new
    and it was made in 46
    They are $109 at forum sponcer Arctic Ammo here in the Valley. $130-$150 at other places in these parts.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

What do you mean? Is it a good earful?
    A dam good ear full. Strangerinastrangeland hunts with a whole crap load of those weapons. Everything from bunnies to bears. Surprised he has not chimed in by now.

If Stranger does pop in, clean out your inbox. Been trying to send a pm but you are full.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Oh, heck, here I am..........~~LOL!!~~ Been gone Shootin.......

In my thoughts of the Rifle, its not "Cheap" nor a "Poormans" rifle, Im of th opinion that its a Bargin, the rifle of the highest scoreing Snipers in the world and an Olympic gold medal winner as well..........If you ARE Poor, this low cost bundle of accuracy will be the tool to feed cloth and profit from in the Alaskan wilderness, with good ammo and good shooting on your part being nessessary, of course, but the rifle will do it every time
    Hard to break, impossible to screw up, unless you neglect to clean it,no different than any good rifle. A very positive saftey, and a trigger that is easily made very smooth, you can do alot with one, for sure.

Get the ammo you shoot best in quantity, I use an M-39 finnish variation, and Czeck Light ball, but soon enough, Ill be stocking up on cases of ammo while its still cheap and plentyfull.

Train often, shoot often, the Mosin will do everything you need.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

My biggest problem is no one will ship ammo here and the two stores don't carry it and have yet not been able to get me any.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Have used a M44 Nagant. My first loading was pulling FMJ's and replacing with a 180 soft point (.308 diameter, not .311...) One of my 44's shoots the wrong diameter into an 1" group. The rest usually go around 2 and a little bit, still plenty good enough for black bear, deer, and moose. Was real fun shooting bunnies once for a friend a mine who wanted a rabbit dinner. Head shots at 50 yards, no tracking of those dangerous wounded bunnies! We now carry soft point ammo at the store, so will "test" those for accuracy next spring.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    My biggest problem is no one will ship ammo here and the two stores don't carry it and have yet not been able to get me any.
    I get all the cheap ammo you can carry at the gun shows down here, milatary surplus its about .19-.20 cents per round. I bet if you
    check at the gun shows you will find it.

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    Oh, heck, here I am..........~~LOL!!~~ Been gone Shootin.......

In my thoughts of the Rifle, its not "Cheap" nor a "Poormans" rifle, Im of th opinion that its a Bargin, the rifle of the highest scoreing Snipers in the world and an Olympic gold medal winner as well..........If you ARE Poor, this low cost bundle of accuracy will be the tool to feed cloth and profit from in the Alaskan wilderness, with good ammo and good shooting on your part being nessessary, of course, but the rifle will do it every time
    Hard to break, impossible to screw up, unless you neglect to clean it,no different than any good rifle. A very positive saftey, and a trigger that is easily made very smooth, you can do alot with one, for sure.

Get the ammo you shoot best in quantity, I use an M-39 finnish variation, and Czeck Light ball, but soon enough, Ill be stocking up on cases of ammo while its still cheap and plentyfull.

Train often, shoot often, the Mosin will do everything you need.
    Hi Stranger! I now see what they were talking about. A big believer in the rifle and why not there is something to be said
    about a rifle that has been in service since the early 1890's with very few modifications. It took the AK-47 to replace it. I really
    like the fold out (Spike) bayonet. Good to have deployed if a mad hog charges you. The Russians put the Spike on because
    regular knife bayonets would bend and glance off of the heavy wool coats worn in winter battles. I believe the Movie
    "Enemy at the Gates" was the best marketing promation this rifle ever got.

Just curious if anybody hunts with theses guns. I have both and love them. Very accurate and reliable and seems
    to me a decent round for big game. After you guys stop laughing let me know your thoughts.
    Some folks do I am almost sold out of Lapua 7.62x54R Hunting loads

Different world no gunshows here but I guess I could fly 800 miles to Los Anchorage for one.

Different world no gunshows here but I guess I could fly 800 miles to Los Anchorage for one.
    Wow I forget how big Alaska is. That would be like me having to go to Washington to get Ammo. the good thing is the way
    they are packed in the tins. One gun expert told me that in the right environment the ammo could last 70 years. Buy it
    in bulk one time and you will be good. One day this cheap military surplus will run out.

What, Juneau doesn't have gun shows?

Oh, yeah... it's Juneau...

Getting it deliverd to the airport is the biggest problem in anchorage.

Near every gunshop in the town says theres too much paperwork, which means waiting for the airline guys, who have the training and experiance at NAC to fill it out, and have you sign on the line, they will even point to the line to sign on. Then go pay the hazmatfee and freight in one payment.....Ive explained that I ,myself , do this, and it hasnt changed in years,,,,but still, when I bring it up as I always do, they will not ship, 'cause of "Paperwork"

Fact IS , is someone wants to make some good $$ sell ammo to the Bush. Theres a great demand and the "niche" is being to kinda guy who will deliver ammo to the airport and sign on the line. People here KNOW that theres rediculas freight prices, but we're willing/Have to pay.

Untill that happens, I use J&Gsales in prescott arizona, they will ship it to a consolidator, I use NAC-Linc I think its called and they UPS it there and then onto you.......again, all in one fee. Pay J&G with a card ad wait for the ammo to arrive.

I would preferr to use an Alaskan based company, and buy bulk Milsurp, but untill then, Amigo, give that a try, you might get it by barge.

Polish, Russian and very much Czeck light ball (Fmj, 147grn.) will make holes where you aim them. The Czeck tumbles and wreaks havok on bones with it steel core penatrating through Bears, Muskox and such. Great groups, especcially with Czeck, but Polish is pretty close. Some Mosin are picky, some just do it again and again with any ol' ammo.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast