Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Question from another forum...

  1. #1

    Default Question from another forum...

    Do you find a difference if you shovel the snow away from a hole or shanty to let more lite through the ice? I like to do it so I can see better in depths up to 20 feet any thoughts on scaring fish or drawing them in with this practice?

  2. #2

    Default

    Nothing scientific, but only experience. I rarely catch fish at night and have left bait and tip ups out over night and nothing bit until well after sun up. I have to think light is a huge factor in fish activity in winter.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  3. #3
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    485

    Default

    I have always shoveled the snow away from the hole and always clear the area that I am going to set up my shelter. Sometimes I shovel a little extra to let more light in.

  4. #4
    Member Hunt&FishAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Valley trash
    Posts
    2,316

    Default

    it seems to me more productive especially when using lures that dont have a glo or scent advantage....and definately helps in deeper water.....+ we always shovel snow away for our shelters....ive never found it to be a bad thing.... also seems like they are attracted to the light depending on water depth, clarity, etc...



    Release Lake Trout

  5. #5
    Premium Member kasilofchrisn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central Kenai Peninsula
    Posts
    4,887

    Default

    I don't. I will shovel a spot for the shanty at times.
    I feel the light is unnatural and could spook the fish. Mostly though it is a pain to shovel all that snow.
    Why shovel more than you have to?
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

    "Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

  6. #6
    Member sameyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Kenai, Alaska
    Posts
    269

    Default

    Little as possible from the hole when fishing in the open. With a shanty it does not matter. Found that ice fishing when the ice is wind blown and clear is the worst time to fish in the open. I believe that is because the fish see you, this has been especially true with lake trout. When there is a snow cover, my partner always fishes in a shanty with the snow removed and has about the saem catch rate as I do in the open.

  7. #7
    Member cjustinm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Kotz
    Posts
    1,004

    Default

    i've heard both ways. in really pressured areas expecially for rainbow trout go real light like 4lb vanish and leave the slush in the hole and try to make it as natural as possible. using this technique i outfished my buddy who was using 8lb ice line, same bait, fairly close to my sets with the snow cleared off. he caught none i caught about 8. i'd say the facts didn't lie.

  8. #8
    Member JediMasterSalmonSlayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    North Pole, Alaska
    Posts
    1,837

    Default

    I usually get my buddies shovel the snow...haha

    I do like to clear out the area for the portable hut, I dont think it affects the fishing much at all.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com


  9. #9
    Member gutleap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Posts
    308

    Default

    I like to leave a little snow on the area where the ice hut is going to be. That way it does not become so slippery after awhile that you need ice cleats just to stand up. I have shoveled some snow away on the outside to let in more light at times and have not noticed any difference one way or another.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •