Thread: Brooks?

Default Brooks?

Anybody have anything to say about the Brooks story? Thought that it would be all over the boards. Albeit this is the first one that I have looked at.

I think it's something we all hope will just blow over, as it's going to be bad for sleddog racing. It also tends to be overblown to an extent by those who oppose mushing and consider sleddog racing to be inhumane. Some parents don't believe in spanking their kids; some do. It may be considered okay to spank a child in some cases yet it's not okay to spank a dog in a dog race. What Brooks did was unacceptable. It makes all mushers look bad. But I've been in the same place in my 20+ years of mushing and made the same mistake. Only difference was that no one was looking and it wasn't in a dogsled race.

If I want to break up a dog fight between two 80-pound huskies and were to use my gloved hand to try to actually 'hurt' one of the dogs, the only thing I'm going to hurt is my hand. So in that sense I think things can be overblown if a musher is seen to cuff a dog or dogs. Again, totally unacceptable in the context of a dogsled race, and I think Ramy's disqualification was warranted. I don't think it should extend past a year; everyone should cut the guy some slack and offer him an opportunity to prove he can do better next time around.

I know people who are very close to Ramy and he and his wife have sat here at my kitchen table. This is a very unfortunate incident and one I beleive is NOT an expression of his character as a musher as a whole. Just one incident that went from bad to worse. The Iditarod is just so televised, etc. that it's like putting a magnifying glass on the world of dog mushing. The race officials to some degree have to be motivated by politics. If they don't slap Ramy hard and satisfy PETA and the likes they will catch all kinds of heat, lose sponsorships, etc. I'm not justifying Ramy totally but am saying that I beleive there is more to the story. This could have happened to any musher. Ramy just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. And then to have a dog die on top and how he handled it just makes it worse. Hopefully this won't tarnish his whole career. Last season he was set to run the Quest and some things happened that I'm aware of that caused him to have to pull out. It cost him quite a bit. I hope he can bounce back.

Feel the heat in the sun yet Mark?? It's been a cold spring in Fairbanks.

Perry

I've known Ramy for about 12 or 13 years and he is one of the finest young men you could ever meet. I was so disappointed in this situation. After running those dogs through so many miles of terrible conditions to have them balk at the end had to be very frustrating. You know that he was as tired as the dogs and he used poor judgment. Like Mark says, you are under the very watchful eyes of cameras all over the world and he just plain screwed up. These dogs and mushing are Ramy's life along with his family.

Does anyone remember the famous pic of Dick Mackey crossing the finish line in 1978????????? Maybe you could still find it on the net somewhere.
    He is carrying a whip!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd
    Feel the heat in the sun yet Mark?? It's been a cold spring in Fairbanks.
    Hey Perry,

Yep, feels good in the sun now, same cold March here too but really warming up now. Lots of electricity for the batteries lately from the solar panels; cold temps and clear skies really boost the efficiency of the panels.

Btw, my son wrote an article for Mushing magazine on training sleddog pups using the 'spoiled rotten puppy-training technique.' It may be in the current issue. The days of whips is over. I've been glad to see mushing and mushers move toward more humane treatment of dogs, and the sport of mushing has seen incredible advances in veterinary care and knowledge. These guys who run these races are among the toughest men and women I know, and they all love their dogs. I hope Ramy comes back next year and we can put all this behind us. And major kudos to Lance Mackey and his dogs; what he and they did is absolutely incredible, and I'm sorry the Brooks situation is sorta overshadowing his accomplishment.
    Best to all,

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    Hey Perry,

Yep, feels good in the sun now, same cold March here too but really warming up now. Lots of electricity for the batteries lately from the solar panels; cold temps and clear skies really boost the efficiency of the panels.
    That's great. Another arctic winter under your belt. How many does that make now?

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    .....These guys who run these races are among the toughest men and women I know, and they all love their dogs. I hope Ramy comes back next year and we can put all this behind us. And major kudos to Lance Mackey and his dogs; what he and they did is absolutely incredible, and I'm sorry the Brooks situation is sorta overshadowing his accomplishment.
    Ya, it's amazing that they can even finish theses races. Mackeys dogs sure looked good coming into Fairbanks when he won the quest. And then to turn around and run what, 12 or 13 of the same dogs and win the Iditarod!?!?! That guy is doing something (rather a lot of things) right.

Ya, I'm hoping we see Ramy in the mix next year as well.

Later