Thread: .45 cal cast bullets/ruger sr 1911

Default .45 cal cast bullets/ruger sr 1911

looking over bullet options for my new ruger sr 1911 i am considering 200gr cast semi wadcutters.......but am unsure about feeding. my old gold cup will feed about anything ( including empties ) but i am reluctant to pay postage on 1,000 lead bullets that won't slide up the ramp.

anyone with experience with this bullet design?? i want to use cast bullets only, so options are limited.
    happy trails.
    jh

Can't help you with what bullet to use, but have you shot the Ruger yet? I have one on order and am anxiously waiting for it.

hi king; i pick it up from my dealer tomorrow...and so can't tell you anything about reliability. it really looks good, the fit & finish is great, and it feels very tight. the trigger breaks a little heavy, but crisp ( around 4# ) the feed ramp looks smooth with a clean taper, so it should feed well. we'll see.

glad to own it, and it looks nicer than the pics in the magazine articles.
    happy trails.
    jh

Thanks. Please post a shooting report, OK?

I hope to end up with an sr1911 this winter myself and wonder the same thing as you. Here's one guys experience/opinion...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ghlight=sr1911

"
    I bought the only one I've seen for sale, but the dealer tells me that they are going out about as fast as they are coming in. I'm going through a series of treatments now that leave me kind of weak sometimes so I haven't had a chance to shoot the gun much, but so far I really like mine. I'm shooting 200 grain cast semiwadcutters, both commercial, and the lyman, and haven't had any failures to feed that couldn't be traced to some rounds that I didn't get quite enough taper crimp on. The gun shoots well, and shoots where it points. My trigger pull measures about the same as the one in the video, or perhaps just a hair lighter. I'm getting around 4 1/4 pounds on my trigger scale. Others have more experience with 1911's, and will give their thoughts, but mine isn't for sale.

Thanks Snyd. I ordered mine from my dealer (wholesaler) back in June. they had ordered 1300 from Ruger. My order was in the 800's. When I talked them two weeks ago they had only received about 350 units from Ruger and weren't sure when their next batch was coming in..

thanks snyd; i prefer the semi wadcutter design for paper & social purposes...and think standard velocity will be just fine. of course the 1911 was made famous as a stopper just using 230gr ball at about 830fps. using ball or even hollow points usually result in the same size hole in standard loadings. if more power is needed heavy revolver options are available.

after a "break in" period i will report back on this hard to find pistol.
    happy trails.
    jh

I may just bite the boolit and buy one off gunbroker for about 700. I've got a 4 holer Lyman mould and several hundred of these 200gr swc's cast and lubed along with about 500rnds of 45 acp brass. Now all I need is the gun I've loaded these in 45 Colt brass before for plinkin rounds in my wheelguns. This one's lubed with Lee Liquid Alox.

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    I may just bite the boolit and buy one off gunbroker for about 700. I've got a 4 holer Lyman mould and several hundred of these 200gr swc's cast and lubed along with about 500rnds of 45 acp brass. Now all I need is the gun I've loaded these in 45 Colt brass before for plinkin rounds in my wheelguns. This one's lubed with Lee Liquid Alox.

snyd; that bullet looks just about perfect........and is what i am looking for. checking online there are several companies who make something similar, the big difference is shipping. lead is heavy. duh.

having sold my dillon press, my single stage classic cast will have to do.........actually though loading is more fun than work. if kept below 500 rds at a time, that is.

thanks for your input.
    happy trails.
    jh

Thats a great looking bullet. It should feed fine. For my 1911 ammo i use a 230grn rn bullet. I have a ton of them i cast years ago and they shoot great. I would not hesitate to load that bullet for one second. I think if it does not feed there is another problem other than the bullet. One thing i have noticed with some bullets is they are swaged from pure super soft lead. they are junk no matter what style. They can be a pain to get to feed and they seem to grab and drag on the feed ramp

Have not had the pleasure of shooting or even seeing the new SR1911. I do shoot 200gr LSWC's out of 3 different 1911's almost exclusively except for some defensive ammo to check reliability. I have experienced no feeding problems or malfunctions with them for what its worth. My 1911's are Kimber, Sig, and S&W. My bullet looks different than the picture posted earlier by Snyd. I think mine is a H&G design??? Best deal I've found as far as price is from Missouri bullet Company, decent shipping flat rate prices and quality bullets. I have also wanted to try Penn bullets, have read nothing but good about them! I found the secret to getting the SWC's to feed reliably is to leave just a tab bit of the shoulder of the bullet sticking out of the case and taper crimp. They cut nice clean holes in paper and would probably do a decent job as emergency defence ammo IMHO.

I have fired several hundred 200 gr SWC's in my Ruger SR1911 with no problems are failures to feed. I load them with Power Pistol and the shoot VERY WELL.

Dan

thanks for all the advice on bullets! so far so good with the ruger sr1911, on feed & function. it shoots about as well as i can shoot it at 25yds. the frame / slide fit is very good as is the barrel & bushing. this is a nice pistol for any money, and really nice for the price! i like the idea of cast lead semi wadcutter and will be putting some together soon. i wish aluminum cases were available, as that would reduce the price of loaded ammo considerably.
    happy trails.
    jh