Thread: what to use for bear bait

Default what to use for bear bait

im gonna start bear baiting next year and i was wondering where or what can all be used as bear baits up here. i know what can be used in wisconsin but never baited in alaska before and i have that certificate for baiting. so all i need is a bait dealer

I know a few guys that bait and they used dog food. U might want to do an archive search on this forum, there will probably be plenty of info on this subject

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=70.323558,-148.923965

Doughnuts!

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    Piscor Ergo Sum

popcorn you can pack in alot

Popcorn is a good one to use but start popping now cause once they start hitting they will clean a barrel out in a matter of days usually less than 2 days. I finally got tired of popping popcorn and started using horse feed with mollases 50lb bags from 3 bears for 15 bucks. Also do marshmellow burns and brown suger burns as well, also get soem of the vanilla extract they sell in 1 gallon jugs dump that stuff on everything near your bait sites. Hang trail cams as well, we had problem with bears screwign with them, so might build boxes to protect them.

I use popcorn, its light cheap and you can make it smell great! Also molasses, peeps (marshmallows), syrup, honey, and anything else thats sweet. I did a experiment last year and found the bears at my stand preferred the popcorn over dog food. I also used a bait 'em sent ball, which they got to and ate! Last I agree with putting up a trail camera. It will show if the bears coming in are grizzly or blacks, and what time they are coming in. If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me or ask on here. Most of us are very wiling to help out.
    Hunt until you don't like it any more

Mix dog food with sweet feed ........ bears like the smell and taste of sweet feed, dog food is just a filler.

Popcorn w/ molasses and marshmallows mainly. I also buy whatever candies are on sale after Xmas and Easter, some good deals to be had at some stores(Target mostly). I also start saving leftover desserts and sweets in the winter for bear bait. Oh and for scent products, hard to beat Bait Em 907 scent balls.

it matter what kind of dog food or just cheap ****?

I don't like popcorn because, simply, it takes too darn long to obtain a bunch of it, and the bears can eat ALOT (Hundred gallons or so) in just a day or two. I like COB with molasses and marshmallows. They get full easy and come back more often in my experience.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

has anyone experimented with a "slower hunting buddy?"
    "Western Alaska is a place where the Government does things for you when it isn't doing things to you."-Craig Medred
    "You can't eat Antlers"-Anonymous
    "Antlers fly forever!"-Jacob Carl

Ditto what Pike Palace said... popcorn tends to be eaten up too fast. This little black bear's behavior is typical - they love to shake the barrel until all the popcorn has fallen out. Then it gets eaten up even faster. Once a bait site is really established and lots of bears have your barrel as a regular part of their travel route, you will be going through tons of bait I end up losing at least half my bait to nusiance, hungry brown bears.
    If you use dog food, mix it up good and sticky with molasses or something similar, otherwise it tends to end up all over the ground as well.

brown bears.jpg
    black bear.jpg

Eulachon and doughnuts
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

I would not worry about using the wrong bait. I would just start saving food scraps now, especially with the holidays coming up. The more bait you save now, the less bait you'll end up having to buy in the spring.
    Many folks advise staying away from greasy and protien heavy baits, thinking that they are more attractive to brown bears and they stick to sweet/carbohydrate based baits to try to hold black bears and not attract browns. In my experience though, I can't keep the brown bears out of the strictly sweet stuff either, so I accept that brown bears are just a part of baiting that I have to deal with (at least in unit 7). As a consequence I end up throwing a large quantity of bait at the problem. I save the meaty and greasy stuff anytime of year that I have freezer space to store it.

Quote Originally Posted by stick+string View Post
    Ditto what Pike Palace said... popcorn tends to be eaten up too fast. This little black bear's behavior is typical - they love to shake the barrel until all the popcorn has fallen out. Then it gets eaten up even faster. Once a bait site is really established and lots of bears have your barrel as a regular part of their travel route, you will be going through tons of bait I end up losing at least half my bait to nusiance, hungry brown bears.
    If you use dog food, mix it up good and sticky with molasses or something similar, otherwise it tends to end up all over the ground as well.

brown bears.jpg
    black bear.jpg
    To fix this problem cut your hole up farther so the bears cant shake it out. That is what I did and it took them a lot longer to get it out of the barrel. I cut it about half way up the barrel between the rings. It makes it harder for them to reach in and get the bait out. Try this and popcorn and it stay longer.
    Hunt until you don't like it any more

Yeah, that hole should have been another 8" or so higher up.
    This year I will have two barrels at that bait station. That will help too since I can only make the trip to rebait and hunt on weekends.
    That said, pure popcorn still has a way of disappearing fast. You stick an old turkey carcass, rotisserie chickens, donuts, loafs of bread in the barrel and they have a way of clogging up the hole, slowing bait consumption down. Or mix the popcorn in with bait like that.
    What I do like about popcorn is that is weighs so little - it's great when you want to hike in a load of bait along with bow, arrows, backpack, etc. without getting all sweaty with a heavy load.

The majority of what I use is popcorn because its light for the 2.5 mile hike in to my spot. I save up a bunch of scraps throughout the year and holidays usually consisting of leftover sweets, bread, steak fat, bacon grease, etc. Last year I had some extra beef suet in the freezer and I brought that out.
    They came in and went right past the sweets, popcorn and bread and went right for the raw fat. I guess that bear was trying to stock back up on protein and fat lost from hibernation.
    For the most part I just use bread and popcorn covered in sweets.

A quart of bacon grease will last all year easy to pack and it just takes a little to bring them in and keep them licking.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Default Smoked Bacon!

When I was stationed at Fort Yukon in 1969, my buddies and I would go fishing and camping up the Porcupine River. Being new to bears, we brought along bacon & eggs to fry for breakfast. Fortunately we never attracted a grizzly, but the black bears were coming in every morning for breakfast.