Thread: I want to go moose hunting

Default I want to go moose hunting

Hello all, Im over in New Zealand and looking at going hunting somewhere else. How much would it cost me to hunt a moose? is it much hassle to get permits? What time of year is best?
    Also keen to do some fishing for halibut and salmon. what time of year is best for these?

Get ready, you are going to get alot of responses being from New Zealand, many of us want to hunt there!....................K

If you're looking to combine trips, the time to come is mid Aug. to mid-Sept. time frame which includes the moose hunting season and the silver (coho) salmon run. Halibut fishing is good then also. I've got a really nice B&B style fishing/vacation lodge that we just started located near Homer. Beautiful place and very reasonably priced. If you like bank fishing on rivers, it's a great place to go. You won't be alone, but with two other rivers 15 minutes away (Deep Creek and Ninilchik) besides our own Anchor River, there's lots of water to cover. There's nothing quite like the thrill of catching a 15 lb. leaping Silver on a fly rod in a river small enough to wade across in places !! Check out our website at www.AnchorRiverLodge.com
    Apologies for putting my own plug in here on the forum but we've got a first class operation and I welcome you to shop around and compare. I wish I could be more help regarding the moose hunting. Haven't done it up here yet but planning to. There's a healthy moose population in our area, but I think inland is better. You can get a lot of good info on the AK F&G website - look it up. I'm sure some of the guys here on the forum will steer you in the right direction.
    Regards, EMO

Default EMO

Looked at your web page. Nice lodge and very reasonable rates.

NZ hunter, as a non resident alien you'll have to hire a guide for a moose hunt, easy to do once you start writing checks! lol your gonna be looking at anywhere form 8-15 grand for a moose hunt, for the best time of year i'd get as late into september as i could, lots of options as far as float hunts, spot and stalk, calling in heavy timber and so on.
    Some outfitts i know of that do well for moose, are Sandy River Lodge, Wildman Lodge, Adams Guide service, and Alaska Remote Guide Service, theres a pile of others that probalby do as good or better, i'm just not familiar with thim, none of these guys are my buddies or anything i just know some guys that have worked there or i have worked there before.

Your moose tags are all over the counter for what you'll be doing, a few drawing hunts but alot of the guided hunts are just over the counter tags. Good luck.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default less expensive moose hunts

I hunted in NZ last year on my own and I did not have to have a guide which is the only way that I could have afford it. Your less expensive hunts will be not in Alaska but British Columbia and Alberta and in BC you can fish as well. I have found hunts from $3500 up which is cheaper than I can go to Alaska on a do it yourself hunt. Do to the price I my personal choice whould be Canada. Your moose in Canada will be from 45 to 60 inches with 50 inches the norm. I hunted moose in BC in 98 and was able to get a 49 inch Shiras Moose.

If you want any research done e mail me and I will do some research. The NZ hunters that I hunted with last were some of the best people on earth and anything that I can do to return the favor I will do.

Just wanted to say I've always wanted to hunt/fish NZ.

EMO top notch place ya got there I might be giving ya a call soon.
    Last edited by Rick P; 03-24-2007 at 13:45. Reason: Added info

I'll give you my moose tag for a New Zealand Red Stag hunt and a flyfishing trip for monster browns!...hehehe...(wish I could do that)...K