Thread: fishing at night

Default fishing at night

Do Alaska fish bite after dark during ice season? May seem like a crazy question, but in the lower 48 most fish bite better at night. Some, such as blue gill, don't bite at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Fergy View Post
    Do Alaska fish bite after dark during ice season? May seem like a crazy question, but in the lower 48 most fish bite better at night. Some, such as blue gill, don't bite at all.
    Burbot definitely bite at night, its the only time I've caught them.

Fish on!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Fergy View Post
    Big cox is right. Burbot are very active at night. But in my experience the other fish we typically fish for the answer is a qualified no.

I have caught rainbows in one particular lake and only that lake. Maybe the food source is nocturnal since the bows from this lake only, the meat looks like sockeye meat. I think they stock char there now. Setting line inside our wall tents we have caught big lakers and big pike. But we never seem to catch them fishing at night. We wake up and the tip up is tripped. I think we are catching the early cruisers...not night fish.

It's odd because during open water, the night fishing can be crazy good. I bought a set of underwaterlights I wanted to try from a kayak but will try them thru the ice as well. At least I don't have to stay awake to 2am to try them in winter!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What Bigcox said. I remember last year ice fishing at night where the burbot were hitting all three of our lines all at once. It was pretty crazy.

Thanks guys, did not want to be the odd ball sitting on the lake at mid night. Then again it would be more fun than siting at home...

All my burbot have come at night. Have caught all if my lakers at night as well typically 1-2hrs after sunset then switch to burbot
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

ive had my best icefishing for char and burbot at night, usually within 1-3 hours of sunset/sunrise.....rainbows like early morning and before sunset, and stockers will bite anytime....

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    ive had my best icefishing for char and burbot at night, usually within 1-3 hours of sunset/sunrise.....rainbows like early morning and before sunset, and stockers will bite anytime....
    Char at night through the ice? That's cool. I may have to try harder. back in the old days when you could fish bait for burbot and set out lines we fished hard waiting to go check the lines and in the years we tried it, I can only think of one char we caught. Have you noticed if it was lake specific or is that your general experience? I'll definitely have to try my underwater lights out. They are super bright so should be fun if I can get them to hit.

giant burbot.jpgAXL pike.jpgHere is a very large interior burbot I caught during the day and a healthy pike just at sunset.