Thread: I just put a 2" hole in the side of my boat...

Default I just put a 2" hole in the side of my boat...

Yes, there's a story behind it. Will post photos later...

Quote Originally Posted by IceKing02 View Post
    Yes, there's a story behind it. Will post photos later...
    I hope it was intentional.

I cringed when I used a 2" hole saw to install the through-hull for the Espar heater, but the warm cabin made me forget all about putting a hole in the boat.

Umm. Yup, that was it! Taking a 2" hole saw to the pristine wall of my ACB required repeated measurements prior to the cut, a half-dozen strips of bacon and at least one good beer. Before AND after cutting. Thankfully it went as planned and was a snap to install.

Heck, it was SO warm in my cabin this weekend that I even forgot to post the pictures from the installation! Will do tomorrow. The Espar D4 is hot enough to fry us right out of the cabin if we wanted. I have yet to install the ducting and can't wait to have the hot air directed to the windows and to the cuddy. It is already so darn nice that I cannot believe it took this long to take the plunge for a boat heater. The installation required some problem-solving and assembly (which sucked) but it was nice to be out there this weekend and to have t-shirt 'n flip-flop weather inside the cabin. The First Mate is already primed for going out next weekend! I guess that says it all--the investment really IS worth it.

Looking forward to seeing pics of the install. I too am contemplating an espar purchase. How did you decide on the D4? There are few different models that will meet my needs? I'm struggling to decide.

Quote Originally Posted by Avid outdoorsmen View Post
    Looking forward to seeing pics of the install. I too am contemplating an espar purchase. How did you decide on the D4? There are few different models that will meet my needs? I'm struggling to decide.
    What type and size boat are you thinking of installing one in?
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

26ft aluminum. In speaking with the various heater manufacturers, the recommendations have been to purchase a smaller heater that can run at a higher temp. The idea being the heater runs more effeicently at a higher temp. What has been your experience?

I have heard the same thing. You might pm Mort here on the forum. He has 26 foot hewes and went with the airtronic D4. He had the D2, I believe, and upgraded. If your cabin is insulated, you might be able to get away with the smaller model. I have kicked my espar on at -20 at the house and it will bring the temperature up to shirt sleeve weather. Pretty impressive units.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Avid,

I'd not mess around with the D2 as there is the greatest flexibility with the D4 and you're going to have to pipe heat around an aluminum boat that dissipates that heat quite quickly. Pete isn't kidding about being able to run around in a T-shirt in the cabin when it is cold outside. The part about which I am most interested is the ducting installation for defrosting the windows and heating the cuddy. I'm not there yet but I'll try to show how that part goes as well.

Guys,
    I appreciate the advice and insight. I certainly do not want to re-invent the wheel. I'll look closer at the D4.

thx

Avid,

Budget extra time to do the D4 installation. One of the ways that they make it more affordable is that there is no pre-assembly of the wiring harnesses, wiring end-gear or fuel pump plumbing assembly. You'll do it all yourself. It is not difficult to put together but that makes it far from a drop-in unit, as well.

Iceking02

Iceking02,

Did you eve get around to running the ducting? I'm looking at a 26'Hewes that has the D4 but no real ducting yet. Just one hose that blows into the cabin. I'd like to see how you routed yours around.