Thread: Reference or light reading about powders?

Question Reference or light reading about powders?

I was introduced to "trail boss" today by my local gun shop and realized I had NO IDEA how much variety there is in poweder and what effects the differences should have on a load. Anyone have a good reference/website/book whatever that goes into the why's and hows of powder?

I've been reading the Lyman manual front to back for a while to get familiar with the basics but i'm quickly learning there is a lot of info missing!

Thanks in advance!

One of the "books" on my want list is PROPELLANT PROFILES. I haven't actually looked at one, but it comes well recomended (Murphy, etc.). Midsouth has it in their catalog and I'm sure other mail order places sell it as well.

Propellent Profiles is a great reference... wish someone hadn't "borrowed" my copy. Guess I will order another

Chris

Thanks guys!

In the last 5 years or so powder has become like new cars....everyone has an improvement over the competition. I've tried some of the "improved" powders and some are as advertised, some are not. Like flying on instrament...believe the chronograph and not the advertising or what your head tells you. The velocity figures are very optomistic for some new powders....so many variables out there too. I've given up on performance (read velocity) and I'm looking for the best accuracy with the best bullet for the job. Just MHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    In the last 5 years or so powder has become like new cars....everyone has an improvement over the competition. I've tried some of the "improved" powders and some are as advertised, some are not. Like flying on instrament...believe the chronograph and not the advertising or what your head tells you. The velocity figures are very optomistic for some new powders....so many variables out there too. I've given up on performance (read velocity) and I'm looking for the best accuracy with the best bullet for the job. Just MHO.
    Thanks, the more input the better!

I'm not too worried about getting the most velocity possible, more concerned about accuracy too. I figure i'm already shooting a .375, what difference is another 100 fps?

My question actually stemmed from the variety of powders available, what difference shape makes, how important case volume is, is it important in ALL cartridges or just some, etc.

Trail Boss is a powder developed specifically for loading light, low recoil loads in large revolver cases. The 45 Colt first and foremost and of course it applies equally to the 44 mag and such cases. It is very bulky and nearly fills the case and gives good ignition and a pretty clean burn. It also is a visible shooting powder meaning it smokes a bit similar to Unique. It has been used for light loads in rifle cases and Hodgdon's has load data for that application.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by akgun&ammo View Post
    Propellent Profiles is a great reference... wish someone hadn't "borrowed" my copy. Guess I will order another

Chris
    Yeah, I'll sure agree with this, "Profiles," has a ton of info and was a great help for my attempt to choose, "just a few," go-to powders, simplify somewhat, from the masses of choice for my favorite calibers.

For casual reading that will teach you, "more than you ever thought you would want to know,....
    I bet you'll be captivated by all the info in there

Unfortunately, I lent mine out also,.... a while back,.....
    Gonna have to order another

Thanks to forum guys for my finding that book, probably was a Murphy recommendation
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !