Thread: Baxter's 1st bunny

Default Baxter's 1st bunny

This last weekend I took Baxter (my beagle) out rabbit hunting. We had been a couple places before, but never saw a thing. This time I took him to a place I knew there were rabbits. It was unreal watching his instincts take over out there. He would start his baying(sp?) every time he got on a fresh scent. Every rabbit we got (6 total) was a minute or 2 after he started howling. It was cool because other than a little scent training with a rabbit foot at home, I never taught/ trained him on rabbit hunting.

The 1st one he jumped about 25 yards from me. The rabbit ran, stopped and looked at me, and was down. Baxter immediately ran over to it and didn't want to give it up to me This was the case with every rabbit we shot. He thought they were his.

He also jumped 2 spruce hen that we got. I would have never seen them if he didnt spook em.

Anyways, here are some pictures. I feel like a "proud father."
    Attached Images Attached Images

Way to go Baxter! What a cute little dog. Enjoy.

Jim

Yeah Buddy! Cool pics. Good idea using an orange vest.

I have to ask, is that a Mossberg Plinkster .22LR I see?

WOW!
    thats one cute pup you got there!
    nice bunny too, hope its the first of many....
    “We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.” - (Aldo Leopold)

Nice job Baxter and proud Father of Baxter. Keep it up.

Quote Originally Posted by tailwind View Post
    Yeah Buddy! Cool pics. Good idea using an orange vest.

I have to ask, is that a Mossberg Plinkster .22LR I see?
    Thanks guys. Its actually a little Rossi 20ga. Bought it for the GF, but I use it quite a bit. Not bad for like $90.00

Not bad at all! I miss a little savage .410 single shot that I never should have parted with.

I was actually going to chime in and guess NEF 20 gauge after getting a closer look but that was wrong as well.

he sure is a handsome 'lil guy - where did you find the vest for him?

Quote Originally Posted by duckoholic View Post
    he sure is a handsome 'lil guy - where did you find the vest for him?
    Thanks, he gets a lot of compliments on his looks. I might be biased, but I think he is a pretty good lookin' beagle

As for the vest, Cabela's had them on clearance. They are called "Tummy Savers" I believe and I got it for like $5. The main problem, and I found this out quick, is when a male dog wears it and has to piss, he ends up just pissing all over it, haha. I had to fold it back a bit. I think I will cut a little section out for that. Other than that, it works really nicely for spotting him running through brush, and is suppose to protect against brush and stuff tearing him up.

Where did you get the pup at.

Don't end your sentence with a preposition.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

We got him from a small breeder in Arizona. I was in the my final year of college down there and my GF really wanted a beagle, so I got him a couple days before I flew up here.

Quote Originally Posted by J2theD View Post
    As for the vest, Cabela's had them on clearance. They are called "Tummy Savers" I believe and I got it for like $5. The main problem, and I found this out quick, is when a male dog wears it and has to piss, he ends up just pissing all over it, haha. I had to fold it back a bit. I think I will cut a little section out for that. Other than that, it works really nicely for spotting him running through brush, and is suppose to protect against brush and stuff tearing him up.
    Thanks, it looks like they still have them available - reviews are pretty mixed as to fit. I do like your idea of being able to see the dog, though. Sometimes the blaze orange collar isn't enough. I like to wear blaze orange even though it's not required in Alaska and I'm in places that aren't populated with other hunters because the dog can see me. I don't know much about color-blindness in dogs - whether they see it as bright white or a shade of gray - but I've noticed that the dog can find us hunters better when we wear blaze orange.

Beautifull dog for sure! Might consider a vest with a bit more coverage for the dogs. My dog just took a stick that impaled him 4 inches, the hole was about the size of a quarter, $400 dollar vet bill. Crazy thing is we weren't even in very thick brush, I think it was a spruce branch down low. Don't even know exactly when it happened, he never yelped or anything, didn't notice it until we got home. Luckily it glanced off the rib cage instead of going through it.

Main point I was going to make is the stick went in right behind the shoulder about 3 inches, right where your dogs vest has a big open spot. Just a thought any how.

Sweet! Nice story and photos. Birds and bunnies make a great day afield. I had to trim the neoprene vest my males wore or they'd end up smelling like pee if I forgot to send them for a finall dunking. I've never had a chance to hunt over a beagle or hound. One of these days I'm hoping I get somebody to take pity on me.
    ARR