Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buffalo down!

Default Buffalo down!

Would like to post this for all the lucky folks that drew this tag in the Delta area. I was lucky and with the help of my son and god's good grace and Donna Schultz this dream hunt ended with the most precious memory of a life time hunt that I will remember till it my time to go. Folks if do go, get a hold of her. Listen to her!! She knows what she if doing. I truly think she if half Buffalo herself! Just want folks to know that the Delta folks are very helpful and willing to help u if u ask. Just be courteous and respect peoples property and privacy!!! Now I will enjoy a big steak tonight. This was alot of work but mmmm will taste so good! GOOD LUCK and if I can help someone else let me know. And yes this took 20 years to get!!!

What, no story, no pictures, you don't think we will let you get away with that, do you ?

Congratulations !

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    What, no story, no pictures, you don't think we will let you get away with that, do you ?

Congratulations !
    you wouldn't believe me if I told u!! I wouldn't believe it. Only by right place right time and god's good grace!!!

Congrats on your buffalo! One of these days I will be posting about mine.

Congrats Fwilkin, even just a picture of your steak on a plate is better than nothing!
    What did you shoot this majestic critter with? Give us some details!!!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Congrats. Bull or cow? Post a picture. I'm at 18 years now, so hopefully I'll be getting close.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Congrats on your buffalo! One of these days I will be posting about mine.
    You can today go to one of the 2 farms up there pay 1500 bucks or whatever they are charging these days, wander around there 2,000 plus acres ranch and shoot one... Not much different than going to the schulz farm paying them a small fee and wandering around there farm and shooting one hhhmmm see no difference at all.

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    You can today go to one of the 2 farms up there pay 1500 bucks or whatever they are charging these days, wander around there 2,000 plus acres ranch and shoot one... Not much different than going to the schulz farm paying them a small fee and wandering around there farm and shooting one hhhmmm see no difference at all.
    More like 2700, I think I'll wait till I draw a tag and pay the small fee to a local farmer. My dad shot one last year and dropped one on a farm that just wanted them off their property. No fee, just get them outta here they said.

Congrats on a successful hunt, it will definitely be remembered forever.
    Huge difference - one is fenced and the other isn't. For those who haven't done this hunt before, it is actually quite difficult to be successful. Good luck to all.
    Mike

Ok, so I don't need a story but I at least need to see a picture!! I drew a cow tag up there a few years ago and have to say there's nothing quite like putting a stalk on a bison. Makes you feel like you went back in time a couple hundred years. A big bison roast in the crock pot sounds pretty good.

I have to agree with PPR, you can find farmers that are more than happy to let you hunt their property just to thin out the herd. One owner I spoke with told me he had 90 bison in his field the day before and to bring out everyone I knew with a tag. It takes a little more effort to make some contacts and to find the right land owners but can save you some money in the end. I think it feels more like a hunt this way as well, rather than being time slotted and ran through the property so the land owner can get on to the next paying customer.

Default You can today go to one of the 2 farms up there pay 1500 bucks or whatever they are c

Fence or no fence, wild vs farmed. Hmmmm
    Oh it's not as easy as one would think, especially after they have been poked at a few times.
    Even a jackass won't stumble on the same stone twice.

Quote Originally Posted by ACNDHO View Post
    Fence or no fence, wild vs farmed. Hmmmm
    Oh it's not as easy as one would think, especially after they have been poked at a few times.
    I thought someone tied yours up last year???????

I just want a story and what he used to shoot it. Kind of cool when folks use the 45-70 for these hunts.

or just to make it interesting you could drive 40 minutes to point mack and shoot one off the game farm for 2500 bucks for a 2 year old or 3000 for a 3 year old (the 3 year old is better cause your getting about 800 Lbs of meat, as I was told, off the older one)
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

It's "Diana" rather than Donna. She's very helpful especially to children and ladies.

If the Delta Bison Hunt were so easy why was last year's success rate <60%??????

Quote Originally Posted by VernAK View Post
    It's "Diana" rather than Donna. She's very helpful especially to children and ladies.

If the Delta Bison Hunt were so easy why was last year's success rate <60&#37;??????
    Didn't say they were easy just pointing out there is another option besides waiting for a tag... To the OP I apologize for getting your thread off track.

Quote Originally Posted by FurFishGame View Post
    or just to make it interesting you could drive 40 minutes to point mack and shoot one off the game farm for 2500 bucks for a 2 year old or 3000 for a 3 year old (the 3 year old is better cause your getting about 800 Lbs of meat, as I was told, off the older one)
    I did not know there was a game ranch out there?? I know there are bison out in Plamer out on clark-wolverine trail road. 2500 almost seems worth it....

[QUOTE=323;1029408]I did not know there was a game ranch out there?? I know there are bison out in Plamer out on clark-wolverine trail road. 2500 almost seems worth it....[/QUOTE ]OK folks for all of u who think this is a cake walk some of these tracks are 3 miles long by 440 yards wide. all have multiple fields. These animals have no set pattern to feed. They only move at night after some hunting pressure. They have great eyesight, smell u hundreds of yards away even when u r down wind, have hearing that is amazing. I used a 338 ultra and hit him 2 times my son hit hit twice and he would not go down. I have been lucky taking lots of animals in my life time but this us the toughest animal I have ever been lucky to take!!!!!!!!!! I talked to lots of folks while I was there. everyone says they are very elusive, cunning, and just bad tough!! AND NO IT'S NOTHING LIKE PAYING 2700 WHICH IS THE GOING PRICE AND U PICK ONE! The hardest thing is during all the excitement is to determine if it is a boy or girl. Shoot the wrong one and u get a present for Troopers and u still get the opportunity to cut it up and donate it to the state. One was shoot last year and traveled 7 miles before it was found. I will post a pic as soon as I figure out how to do that. thanks for the replies

[QUOTE=Fwilkin;1029611]
    I did not know there was a game ranch out there?? I know there are bison out in Plamer out on clark-wolverine trail road. 2500 almost seems worth it....[/QUOTE ]OK folks for all of u who think this is a cake walk some of these tracks are 3 miles long by 440 yards wide. all have multiple fields. These animals have no set pattern to feed. They only move at night after some hunting pressure. They have great eyesight, smell u hundreds of yards away even when u r down wind, have hearing that is amazing. I used a 338 ultra and hit him 2 times my son hit hit twice and he would not go down. I have been lucky taking lots of animals in my life time but this us the toughest animal I have ever been lucky to take!!!!!!!!!! I talked to lots of folks while I was there. everyone says they are very elusive, cunning, and just bad tough!! AND NO IT'S NOTHING LIKE PAYING 2700 WHICH IS THE GOING PRICE AND U PICK ONE! The hardest thing is during all the excitement is to determine if it is a boy or girl. Shoot the wrong one and u get a present for Troopers and u still get the opportunity to cut it up and donate it to the state. One was shoot last year and traveled 7 miles before it was found. I will post a pic as soon as I figure out how to do that. thanks for the replies
    Sorry , I didn't mean my post to say that your hunt was easy, and your didn't deserve your animal, I was replying to the other comments about going to a farm. I'm sure wild buffalo hunts are a pain in the butt.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

I did not know there was a game ranch out there?? I know there are bison out in Plamer out on clark-wolverine trail road. 2500 almost seems worth it....
    Lol, well, it is a meat hunt, HAHA more like you can just walk up to it and pop it i the head with a 30-30, witch is what he does. you just buying meat. its not meant to be a hunt, id be like me walking into out field and shooting one of our cows that runs up to us cause we bring it food.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast