Thread: What the Heck is this little Squirrel chaser

Default What the Heck is this little Squirrel chaser

Have had a problem with squirrels last couple years getting into the garage attic and insulation. Couple weeks back there was a heck of a commotion going on around the yard with the squirrels running all over the roof and side of the house. I finally went outside to find this little guy has scared them away.
    So what is it? Was at the back porch scratching on the glass wanting inside. It loves the dogs Kibbles and Bits, but only the Green ones. It throws the rest about and makes a mess, but the dog like the thing and the two get along as they both chase the Squirrels.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Fish IT! Hunt IT! or *#%@ IT!

Pretty sure that's a pine marten,neat little critters.

That is a Marten, or Pine Marten, pretty common in many areas of AK. Interesting story about the dog food and your dog, cool to see one in your backyard, and nice picture!

Was thinking maybe a Martin or Fisher. It was just outside the window at eye level and I got a real good close look.Almost like a Ferret. I hope it sticks around. Kind of neat watching the dogs reaction as it goes through her food dish just picking the "Greenies"

Marten. Nice photo. You won't find Fisher up here Bob. They don't range north of BC.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

post some action videos of it
    Semper Fi!

After you are done with him, send him my way. I currently have a long term war going on with squirrels also. I will make sure he gets well fed.

I have a funny story about my buddy and a martin. Many years back he travelled around the state working on a drilling rig taking core samples for mining companies and during one of his trips he was walking around the camp and as he walked under a tree he heard something hissing at him from above. He looked up and a martin was giving him a bunch of grieve.

My buddy picked up a snowball and knocked the martin off the branch. He said it hit the ground snarling and was coming for him. He ran into the camp cook shack and slammed the screen door behind him. The martin, hot on his tail hit the screen door and hung on while hissing and snarling at him. The camp cook handed my friend a .22 and he shot it through the screen.

He said he wasn't sure what that thing was going to do to him but he wasn't going to give it a chance.

Cool picture, You dont see too many marten in the light of day....or night for that matter. More rare to see than the elusive northern flying squirrel.

I used to love sitting on the back porch drinking coffee, having a smoke and watching the resident woodpile ermine chase down voles and eat them. Better than TV anyday :)

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    The camp cook handed my friend a .22 and he shot it through the screen.
    LOL! Great story. My buddy harvested a Marten last winter in the valley with a P22. He is one heck of a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    Cool picture, You dont see too many marten in the light of day....or night for that matter. More rare to see than the elusive northern flying squirrel.

I used to love sitting on the back porch drinking coffee, having a smoke and watching the resident woodpile ermine chase down voles and eat them. Better than TV anyday :)
    REALLY? We have gotten to be friends I guess you could say. I get off work and go in the backyard, make a little chirping noise, now that the leaves are gone he runs up to make his presents know. I go back inside, get the Kibbles and Bit's bag and rustle it real good as he/she watches and pour some in the dog dish. It isn't more than 10 minutes and he has been down and picked out the "greenies". He uses the wide fence top as a freeway and runs down jumping here then there to the food dish.
    I will try and get some video of the critter. I took over 100 pictures of him in the trees at about 20 or 30 feet. I'll try and get some close ups. The ones I have have now need to be re sized as they are way to big.

Default Few Pine Martin Photos

Here are just a few of the better ones that are raw with no corrections.

Very cool. I can only recall seeing two marten ever, and I certainly have spent plenty of time in their habitat with my eyes glued open. Those are excellent pictures.

u need to shoot that thing and turn it into a cool tail hat!!!
    Semper Fi!

looks just like the ones we have in Idaho,, took pics of this one while Elk hunting this year, we see quite a few of em.
    Attached Images Attached Images