Thread: Delta Clearwater to Tannana to the highway???

Default Delta Clearwater to Tannana to the highway???

Hey all,
    I am looking for floats to do next spring and summer. Some road access trips to get some river time and experience under my belt. After going through tons of posts and old data on here I saw a thread on the above float. Not much info on it though.
    Has anyone here completed that float?? If so can you tell me how it was?
    I would be floating a pro pioneer.
    How long did it take?
    What hazards did you run into?
    What class of water is the Tannana on that stretch?
    Would you suggest doing anything in particular on that float?
    How was the grayling fishing?

I plan to visit fish and game and talk to them about the area when I get home. Figured I would get started on here first.

Thanks for all
    Jason

That's a fun float. You can do it in a long day, but it's much more enjoyable to make it a two day trip and take your time. Conditions on the Tanana are variable depending on time of year and water level, but it's not technical. I have done it very early in the spring and very late in the fall, and ice on the Tanana can present a hazard then. Be especially careful in early spring when shelf ice is present.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Hey Jason, i've done that float a few times. here's what I have:From the boat launch at Delta Clearwater it's about 8 or 9 miles to the Tanana. Takes about 2-3 hours. grayling fishing doesn;t pick up until june, but whitefish plenty in may...grayling spotty for some reason, maybe migration in spring to other drainages.From the Tanana confluence, expect this stretch to be fast class I with sweepers and silty water to be the only hazards...except for ice until memorial day weekend. I wouldn't float before then, as ice bridges may still exist and could pose threats to reach the shore in emergency. float time from the confluence to the bridge takes an average of 7-9 hours.Bring a bicycle for legging from take-out to the put-in unless you have a second car, since the chance of hitch hiking to the put-in once you stage your vehicle might prove unsuccessful. seems like it's about 12 miles (from memory) from take-out to put-in.black bears are around, but not common. you'll see their tracks in may, but i've yet to actually spot a bear alogn the shores. timing maybe?hope this helps.larry

I've done it several times and an alternate take out is to turn up the drainage of Clearwater lake and take out at the dock there. The drainage is a hard row in a PP but short.

Either way is a good float with few technical hazards other than strong, silty current on the Tanana and power boats on the Clearwater not looking where they're going. Fishing doesn't seem to pick up until mid summer but can be fantastic in the right spots. You can do it in a long day, but as previously mentioned 2 days is a more fun and relaxing. Several great islands to camp on.

Hope that helps.

Thanks all for the info. Sounds like a great trip to do on a long weekend mid summer. Maybe 3 days and A LOT of fishing!

I have done the Clearwater to Clearwater Lake route that hodgeman mentioned and thought it was a nice easy float with plenty of grayling fishing but that was later in the summer/fall. That was years ago in Coleman canoes with boyscouts that had never floated anything before.

Ive done the float many times. The tanana stretch is 17 miles. At the confluemce there is an old trapper cabin that you can stay in a couple of hundred yards down on the right. The confluence leads you to a smaller branch of the tanaa. Stay left if you want torow up to clearwater lake. I would disagree with larry though, it is only about a four and a half hour float on the tanana. I have clocked it several times. That river is big and the current moves up to 8 mph at normal water levels. If you turn you turn your raft around and row hard it takes time off as well.