Thread: Midwest Newbie

Default Midwest Newbie

first off kudos to those of you that have harvested any species here. After an 8 yr wiat I finally got here. I live on JBER and would like some tips for chasing blackies up here. I know it is to late for baiting but was wondering about glassing. Is it to late and what elevations are they at this time of year I am not used to mountain hunting but am quickly getting used to making a fool of myself as i climb up and make alot of noise. the physical work is not the issue just want some tips on strategies and also i was told this is awesome area for waterfowl but my eyes see few birds where i have been is this a slow yr.

With the snow blanketing the mountains over the past few days most black bears will be quickly heading for the den. I was hoping it would hold off another week so I could get one more try, but at this point I don't consider it a likely bet. Folks have reported seeing bear tracks (or bears) any month of the year, but once food gets covered up there really is no motivation for the bears to stay out. There might be some out in the bottoms of the valleys and along streams yet, but it is difficult to spot and stalk black bears in such habitat.

Next fall your best bet is to glass south-facing mountainsides where there are ample berries. Look high - very high - often above where you spot goats and/or sheep.

Default Missed

Aprreciate the input wish I had arrived a little earlier in the year. Seems that would have helped.