Thread: Finally have time to hunt.....

Default Finally have time to hunt.....

but I have no idea where to go. I just moved up early last month and just bought a house. I am in the Army stationed on Fort Richardson. Unfortunately it seems I may have missed most of the duck judging from area reports. Also about to leave for the other side of the globe in a couple months. I was wondering if anyone in the area would be interesting in helping a fellow out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

OK maybe I took the wrong approach, I am not sure. There has been almost 100 views and no one has said a word. I know i asked like a newbie and an internet scouter...my mistake. I haven't posted much on this sight but spend a considerable amout of time on DHC. I am just trying to get a little friendly advice for a Soldier who is preparing to deploy for the fourth time and would like to hunt some ducks before I leave. Again, any elp would be appreciated.

Hello, usually folks here very helpful but I guess you hit it on the head. Most hunting about done here. I went to the Knik today and it was full of ice flows, we had jet boat with us and turned around and left. Intake would get plugged. You might try driving to portage, just past 20 mile river. See if you can find some open water to walk along and jump shoot or put out deks if you have some. Just past the portage river is another river you might walk up looking to jump shoot. Pickins pretty slim now. Also go jump shoot along the matanuska river or knik. I assume jim creek area is pretty much froze up now also. Another choice would be to drive down to Homer or ferry/fly to Cordova, still water open there I think. Might get some other input since I broke the ice. Good luck, and thank you for your service. Bud
    Wasilla

Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    Just past the portage river is another river you might walk up looking to jump shoot. Pickins pretty slim now.
    Placer overflow can be good to jumpshoot. Check out the tidal channels that always have some water flow. Not terrific, but can be done.

Tried to send a PM but your profile is set for no PMs.

On Fort Richardson, if you get an area access pass (from the Richardson gate visitor's center) you can hunt Waldon lake and Clunie lake (haven't been out there in a bit, these might be frozen now). When you get your access pass, they give you a map. These lakes are 25-35 minutes from the main part of post down otter lake road. Not too many ducks, but the area is close.

Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    Hello, usually folks here very helpful but I guess you hit it on the head. Most hunting about done here. I went to the Knik today and it was full of ice flows, we had jet boat with us and turned around and left. Intake would get plugged. You might try driving to portage, just past 20 mile river. See if you can find some open water to walk along and jump shoot or put out deks if you have some. Just past the portage river is another river you might walk up looking to jump shoot. Pickins pretty slim now. Also go jump shoot along the matanuska river or knik. I assume jim creek area is pretty much froze up now also. Another choice would be to drive down to Homer or ferry/fly to Cordova, still water open there I think. Might get some other input since I broke the ice. Good luck, and thank you for your service. Bud
    I think this is your best bet. Head south and try jump shooting. I do this at least once a week and come home with a few birds. Not alot but a few. Plus the jumping will keep you warm.

Thanks to everyone who has responded. Hopefully next week I will be able to give this advice a run. I honestly don't care if I get any ducks, I just want to get out there. Thanks again and will hopefully be able to post a success story soon.

The longer you wait, the less ducks will be around to shoot at. Bud
    Wasilla

pickins are beyond slim, even worse if you walking. the water is pretty dang hard. Ice was thick enough to walk on this morning