Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: how big is it?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    fairbanks, ak
    Posts
    491

    Default how big is it?

    moose 11.jpg
    So I put this one in the freezer this year. I guessed him to within an inch but as I look at him and I try to remember what everyone said about how to field judge antler size Im juts trying to remember what everyones formulas were. What are your guesses and whats your method?euro moose.jpg

  2. #2
    Supporting Member Amigo Will's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Wrangell
    Posts
    7,599

    Default

    Best I can guess from the small pics is around 48" by guess skull lenght at about 21"
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

  3. #3
    Member skybust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    alaska
    Posts
    2,426

    Default

    To small of a pic to be able to tell or Im just getting to old to see LOL

  4. #4
    Member Mountain Man Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Los Anchorage
    Posts
    308

    Default

    Need to pull out the spotting scope for that one. F&G says 10" from eye to eye, so thats the reference I use.

  5. #5
    Member Smokey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    3,334

    Default

    Man, for a minute I thought those were off the rare and endangered "horned field mouse" - i'm guessing 53 from what I can see with the magnifier...
    Nice rack - CONGRATs !
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

  6. #6
    Member Roland on the River's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,690

    Default

    OK I'll bite. How about 51 3/4 ? Let us know.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    fairbanks, ak
    Posts
    491

    Default

    moose bag head 1.jpgeuro moose 1.jpg
    sorry about the old eyes on here, maybe this'll help.

  8. #8
    Member GAredneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    459

    Default

    49" Is my guess.

  9. #9
    Moderator kingfisherktn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Ketchikan, AK
    Posts
    4,076

    Default

    48.5"......

  10. #10
    Member AKFishOn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Eagle River (Home!)
    Posts
    1,285

    Default

    50.1....................

  11. #11

    Default

    I'll put in a second vote for 48

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    220

    Default

    I'd go 50.5" It's that cheater on the right that makes it that way to my eyes. He'd be a passer in a 4 brow tine 50" area. Not worth the risk.

  13. #13

    Default

    50" on the button.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Wasilla, Ak
    Posts
    3,901

    Default

    51 inches Im guessing

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    fairbanks, ak
    Posts
    491

    Default

    You are all too high. 45" on the nose. What are your methods for on the hoof width judgement? As I add everything I can up with 10 between the eyes I get something like 52" I guess this guy just had a small head.

  16. #16
    Member willphish4food's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Willow, AK
    Posts
    3,357

    Default

    i use 10" for head; not between the eyes. He's missing the opposing point on his right palm to make him over 50". No where on that rack to get a straight line 50". The first look is the better look for estimating him; looks wider in the second one, with the hair and meat missing.

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sambuck12 View Post
    You are all too high. 45" on the nose. What are your methods for on the hoof width judgement? As I add everything I can up with 10 between the eyes I get something like 52" I guess this guy just had a small head.
    I was using the width of your shoulders and the length of your outstretched arms...Didn't realize people came in such small sizes!!!
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  18. #18
    Member iusckeeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    374

    Default

    I'm going 1 inch north of 50. When do we get the measurement?

  19. #19
    Member Smokey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    3,334

    Default

    As many wrong "guesses" as there are on any of these fun posts by experienced moose hunters, it makes me wonder if there should not be a better system for a hunter to harvest a bull moose than simply "guess". It sure puts a person in a stressful predicament - I am guessing than many "would be" successful hunters pass legal moose while others are shot and left to waste that were under legal size. It seems rather rediculous to make a hunter a law breaker if one has to guess anything???
    The browtine count at least makes some sense as it is much easier to judge for the most part...
    Thanks for posting sambuck12. For fun I outstretehed my arms like you had and added what I thought was appropriate tine length and was wrong.
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Girdwood
    Posts
    1,123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    As many wrong "guesses" as there are on any of these fun posts by experienced moose hunters, it makes me wonder if there should not be "a better system" for a hunter to harvest a bull moose than simply "guess".
    Why not use a range finder and mildot scope?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •