Thread: Too early?

Default Too early?

Already thinking of which draw permits to put in for. Am I too early to get excited for this? What permits do you plan to put in for? I was drawn for a sheep permit this year and was able to fill it so I might be a little more anxious than someone that did not get drawn.

I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing this year. Trying to plan something with a few other friends. Usually I put in for sheep and goat near the house (Eagle River). Pretty long odds, but it would be nice to hunt so close to home. If I don't win, I can hunt them somewhere else. I always put in for Delta Bison. Thinking about putting in for the Farewell Bison this year. This might be the first year that I put in for Kodiak Bear, but only if a few things come together for me. Probably be some moose permits in there somewhere.

Generally my annual bill is about $70 for these permits.

For the conspiracy guys out there, I didn't win anything for about 8 years, then in 2009 I won 2 good permits and one other permit, in 2010 I won another good permit...then nothing this year. Hopefully I don't have another 8 year dry spell.

im way excited about the draws. i didnt get anything this year and am hoping for the best. the supplement comes out on nov 1, ill be taking a good week or so to do some homework on which tags i apply for. i usually get moose, caribou, bison, and sheep. its just deciding where i want to apply for.

Quote Originally Posted by ToolMan907 View Post
    Already thinking of which draw permits to put in for. Am I too early to get excited for this? What permits do you plan to put in for? I was drawn for a sheep permit this year and was able to fill it so I might be a little more anxious than someone that did not get drawn.
    Show us a picture of your sheep. ....so we can all decide if we'll put in for it or not.

I'm about to call it quits on this draw thing haven't been drawn for anything that has been worthwhile come on unit 13 any bu permits that were my last choice lol seriously though hhhmmmm usual for me any bull permit probably put in for unit 13 draw permits for unit 13, don't bother with bison myself, the usual sheep permits as well Usually spend around 100 bucks I put my wife and daughter in for moose, caribou and bison.

The big choice for us this year is whether to put in for the Tier I permit again or not. We're liking the idea of taking the two kids along with us next year (ages 2 and 4) and that hunt is great for a family excursion, plus it's nice to have the almost-sure-thing caribou for the freezer. I don't care for being locked into Unit 13 for moose as it keeps me from some of my favorite drawing permits, but....we're probably leaning towards yes, but not for certain. Other than that it'll be the usual slate of 3 sheep, 3 goat, 2 bison, and 3 brown bear for the wife and I. The real fun during the application period is helping friends who are new(er) to hunting put together their lists. Maps, supplements, and beers...November is a good time.

DSCF1893.jpgI drew a Delta motorized permit(not bad for my first draw). I will be putting in for 3 sheep and bison not sure about anything else? I have heard people talk about drawing "party hunts" and then telling stories about two people getting a permit, what is that about?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    The big choice for us this year is whether to put in for the Tier I permit again or not. We're liking the idea of taking the two kids along with us next year (ages 2 and 4) and that hunt is great for a family excursion, plus it's nice to have the almost-sure-thing caribou for the freezer. I don't care for being locked into Unit 13 for moose as it keeps me from some of my favorite drawing permits, but....we're probably leaning towards yes, but not for certain.
    Ditto that. Maybe the board will realize just how many locked in hunters there were in Unit 13. I'm of the opinion that it backfired on them.

Its never too early to think about the next season! While the sentiment is early...good luck to everyone!
    Karma is like a rubber band; it can only stretch so far before it comes back and smacks you in the face.

kinda in the same boat, not sure if I will put in for the Tier 1 and also be locked into the area, or put in for drawings, which I have not got a draw permit in 4 years.

I have heard people talk about drawing "party hunts" and then telling stories about two people getting a permit, what is that about?
    For party hunt applications you go in with another person under a single application. If you get drawn, both hunters are awarded a permit. The drawback is that you only are entered in the drawing once for the two people (versus two applications if submitted separately), and if you are the last to be drawn and there are not two permits available they will bypass your names and award the permit to the next individual applicant.

I've never applied for a party hunt, but my wife and I will be doing so this year. We're booking a fly-out sheep hunt as part of a celebration that we've been planning for five years, but if we both win sheep drawing permits then we will postpone our fly-out hunt for a year. We wouldn't want to cancel if only one of us had a tag, thus our preference for the party hunt this time around. Generally, though, I would rather have more names in the hat as opposed to dual tags if we win. It does, however, make a lot of sense for logistically difficult or expensive trips, as then you can split the work and the bill among multiple hunters who all have a chance to hunt.

It depends on what is available, except sheep is a given. Muzzleloader moose is a possibility. A friend wants me to proxy Nelchina caribou for him so I put that in the given category if Teir 1 remains the same. I may give the kenai mountain caribou a try again, I haven't drawn on that hunt since I won it the first or second year it was available. Of course I always throw $ at bison chances, so it looks like I will be tossing $65-85.00 into the pot as usual.