Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best halibut bait yet

Default Best halibut bait yet

this past summer we got a few reds where the belly was torn up pretty bad. We saved them and tried them for Halibut. They were by far the best bait we have ever used. The would not touch the cod or pollock. We also never got a touch on the octopus we tried. we caught one and cut up part of a leg for bait. Herring was ok but they just pounded the bellies. a belly also lasted for more than one fish. they stayed on the hook forever. the only bad part is that its the best part on a salmon. On the grill or on the smoker you just cant beat them. As good as they are for bait i just could not bring myself to use them for bait when i can eat them. we also dug some out of the fish cleaning barrels. I cant see why anyone would throw the best eating part away. What is your favorite bait for Butts?

I like a whole humpy rigged to roll like a herring with the belly pumped full of butt juce. Next best is chums you get three baits two fillets and the carcass. Just don't use them in the sand waves

Fresh, unbled humpy steaks are the best, IMO.

Kodaik jig with a small peice of herring.....hands down it a butt killer..
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

In over 100 charters last year I found that halibut can be very finicky. I think salmon bellies can be quite effective, but have had times where I'd have salmon belly on one hook and something else on another hook and they'd hit that instead. Same thing with herring. I've had days where they just didn't seem to want herring and would hit something else, or they wouldn't touch anything BUT herring. Go figure. I usually bring herring, octopus and, if I have them, salmon bellies and try them each. If one seems to work better that day I'll switch all the hooks to that.

And not to confuse the issue any more (LOL) I've caught some nice butt on Boneyard curly tails without any bait, though a lot of the time I'll put at least a little chunk of something on the hook or give it a good dose of herring oil.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

First Choice is Salmon bellies marinating in Butt Juice overnight. Second is Cod treated the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    In over 100 charters last year I found that halibut can be very finicky. I think salmon bellies can be quite effective, but have had times where I'd have salmon belly on one hook and something else on another hook and they'd hit that instead. Same thing with herring. I've had days where they just didn't seem to want herring and would hit something else, or they wouldn't touch anything BUT herring. Go figure. I usually bring herring, octopus and, if I have them, salmon bellies and try them each. If one seems to work better that day I'll switch all the hooks to that.

And not to confuse the issue any more (LOL) I've caught some nice butt on Boneyard curly tails without any bait, though a lot of the time I'll put at least a little chunk of something on the hook or give it a good dose of herring oil.
    There is no rhyme or reason. You need all the bait options available of the highest quality. Octopus, salmon, herring, bait cocktails, little baits, big baits, no baits, butt juice, any Procure( I like the Glo in the dark stuff or mix a couple different ones), its all good, and all works most days. When in doubt switch it up. Try live herring sometime, it can create quite the bite!

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    Piscor Ergo Sum

I forgot to say Muttlys right on. Jigs can be the big butt killers!

Piscor Ergo Sum

I love using sockeye salmon bellies for halibut, but be careful if your using sport caught fish. I heard the Feds are cracking down and giving tickets for using bellies from sport caught fish here in Southcentral. Of course this does not include pinks and chums in P.W.S.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    I love using sockeye salmon bellies for halibut, but be careful if your using sport caught fish. I heard the Feds are cracking down and giving tickets for using bellies from sport caught fish here in Southcentral. Of course this does not include pinks and chums in P.W.S.
    I was unaware you couldn't use salmon you caught? Or at least the parts you might throw away...I better read up on the legalities.

Did quite a bit of halibut fishing last summer, and I have to concur. Some days one thing will work, and the next they won't touch it but hit something else. We did well early in the summer using whole sockeye heads with herring jammed into them slathered in herring oil. My theory is salmon are coming in in huge numbers and the halibut start to take advantage of that. The herring just adds an attractant. A couple weeks later, though, and they wouldn't touch our salmon. We seemed to be able to "call them in" with herring and bait bombs, but we got BY FAR the most fish on jigs of various sorts jigged intermingled with the herring and bait bombs.

I'm quickly turning my efforts to concentrate on jigging. And it's more fun then letting a fish hook itself on a circle hook while you try to ignore it so you don't pull it out of it's mouth. I like slammin' em with the J-hook and basically being forced to old-school fish for them, where they will come off if you give them an inch. Much more fun this way, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    I was unaware you couldn't use salmon you caught? Or at least the parts you might throw away...I better read up on the legalities.
    I think this has been argued before, but this is what it says on p.4 of the regs: "Use of sport-caught fish as bait: (1) Unless provided for in this section, fish taken under sport fishing regulations may not be used as bait (except as permitted in Prince William Sound, where it is legal to use pink and chum salmon as bait). (2) Whitefish, herring, and other species for which no seasonal or harvest limits are specified in 5 AAC 475 AAC 75, as well as the head, tail, fins, and viscera of legally taken sport fish, may be used for bait or other purposes."

So the question comes down to what one defines as "fins" and "viscera". I use the part of the belly with the fins on it, so I take that as being "fins".

All salmon bellies I use for bait are a result of dumpster diving. Its amazing what folks leave on a fish carcass. When in Homer, I make my run to the fishhole dumpster around 9 pm. They usually dump in the early morning I think. As far as the reg quotes, that really gets old! We can all read and research if we really want to know the anwser.

I apparently did know the regs but the previous post made me question it. In my case I used heads from PU caught salmon, so it's not technically sport caught fish anyway.

Thanks for the clarification, Muttley.

Quote Originally Posted by chico99645 View Post
    As far as the reg quotes, that really gets old! We can all read and research if we really want to know the anwser.
    LOL! I love it when I get admonished for helping someone out. I always thought that was what this forum is for.

Anyway, at least the person that questioned it was appreciative. You're welcome coho slayer.

LOL! I love it when I get admonished for helping someone out. I always thought that was what this forum is for.

Anyway, at least the person that questioned it was appreciative. You're welcome coho slayer.
    If you say/think so!

Quote Originally Posted by chico99645 View Post
    If you say/think so!
    Someone always has to be a d--- and turn a helpful thread negative. Unfortunate.

Hey Muttley, I have a hard time cutting a humpy in half, but if I did where does the head stop and the tail start I think it is about the dorsal fin isn't it? As for the best bait for halibut, it's the one in its mouth! GO Kill Kings it's to good not too!

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus1 View Post
    Someone always has to be a d--- and turn a helpful thread negative. Unfortunate.
    Yeah, Rufus. I couldn't agree with you more. All I can do is laugh. Fortunately the vast majority of people on this forum appreciate helpful information and I do my best to be as helpful as I possibly can.

Quote Originally Posted by MGH55 View Post
    Hey Muttley, I have a hard time cutting a humpy in half, but if I did where does the head stop and the tail start I think it is about the dorsal fin isn't it? As for the best bait for halibut, it's the one in its mouth! GO Kill Kings it's to good not too!
    Yeah, I'd say the dorsal fin is about right. And if the water is fishable tomorrow I'll be out there doing my best to kill a couple of kings.

I did appreciate the quick help, too. Yes, I could have eventually looked it up on my own, but I'm on the road and internet is spotty and slow at times, so the info was definitely helpful. My hotel has wireless internet, but it's about the same speed as dial-up. It works ok for a forum like this, but state websites are sl-o-o-o-w and painful....

On that note, another on-topic question: What exactly is halibut juice? It's been mentioned a couple of times. Is it a product or everyone's secret recipe? I don't often buy "extra" stuff to put on my bait other than herring oil as they are usually more expensive than I can seem to justify in my head.

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    I did appreciate the quick help, too. Yes, I could have eventually looked it up on my own, but I'm on the road and internet is spotty and slow at times, so the info was definitely helpful. My hotel has wireless internet, but it's about the same speed as dial-up. It works ok for a forum like this, but state websites are sl-o-o-o-w and painful....

On that note, another on-topic question: What exactly is halibut juice? It's been mentioned a couple of times. Is it a product or everyone's secret recipe? I don't often buy "extra" stuff to put on my bait other than herring oil as they are usually more expensive than I can seem to justify in my head.
    Pro-Cure Butt Juice. It works along with some of their other products. Also Pautzke has the Halibut & Rockfish Nectar. Pautzke was doing a promotion that if you caught an IGFA record halibut on their nectar you got 10 grand. I guess my picture was on the ad. Never did see the poster, was out on the water most of the summer!

Piscor Ergo Sum

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast