Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wooldridge Pilot House for Ohio

Default Wooldridge Pilot House for Ohio

Yeah you read it right. Some crazy guy from Ohio decided he couldn't live without a new boat (imagine that).

What made it even worse,once my wife found out you could be in a boat and not be cold wet or scared,she encouraged

the idea. I had looked at both aluminum and fiberglass boats, more fiberglass than aluminum. I got a lot of funny looks

when I asked about welded aluminum boats at the shows in Ohio and Michigan. Once in a while I got to see a patrol

boat or other government boat, built like a brick _ _ _ _ house. After 6 months of web searches and traveling over 3

mid-west states to see boats and attend boat shows I finally saw a few. How to see more?? Go to where they build

them. Seattle boat show, here we come. I knew the names of most of the major builders that I wanted to look at.

Thanks to the web,and this site in particular, I found a couple of smaller builders to look at also. Cudo's to "Gundog"

and "bcriverhunter" for their posts on this site about their Wooldridge Pilothouse builds. Talked to lots of sales people

and a few actual builders,got a bad case of mass confusion/ sticker shock. I visited the Wooldridge plant

met Glen & Grant and found them very informative and easy to work with. Fast forward 5 months,and back to Seattle,

decide between two boats 1 glass, 1 aluminum. I had the opportunity to talk with two current Wooldridge owners at the

factory (they very happy with Wooldridge). Glass lost, aluminum won,based mostly on the confidence of dealing with

Glen & Grant Wooldridge. Oh yeah,they also build a very nice boat.

Now if I can figure out how to post boat pics,I will show her to you.

Tom

Congrats on your new baby , Alloy is hard to beat.

Default You may not post attachments

Well I tried to figure out how to post pics but:

Under "Posting Permissions" it reads "You may not post attachments"

Not quite sure what that implies, maybe someone dosn't love me

any help??

Tom

Tom, I believe you should be able to post them up if you use an image hosting site like www.photobucket.com.

Followed forum directions, that said there should be a paper clip icon to right of smileys,no icon

or are you saying I should link in the text by inserting the photobucket address of the pic??

thanks tom

Once you have the pic loaded in photobucket you will see a line of txt that starts with [ img]. Copy that and paste it into the post reply box wherever you want the pic to show up

Thanks so much for the help

what is the permitted pic size. I have seen them on the site at about 640x480 OK

thanks tom

Default lower hull

We will give pics a try, this is the lower hull

Default Wooldridge 29' Pilot in Progress (guess I got pics figured out OK thanks LuJon)

Mark at work on my boat

Looking at the bow

Welding

Pilot House Rear

Smile I don,t think it will fit under the Christmas tree

A few more pics (this is kinda fun )

Port side

They cut holes in my boat

Transom Live Box

Under deck fish boxes & gas tank

Rails and radar arch

Thats all for today,hope you enjoy the pics as much as I enjoyed showing them

The only difference between men and boy's is the size of their toy's

gee this is kinda like what I remember Christmas being

I love seeing these Wooldridge threads Tom. You'll have to post some pictures from fishing the Great Lakes.

Smile More baby pics

Thanks for the encouragement. It was this site with a few posts on Wooldridge boats that got me interested in looking at them.I guess this thread was a way of saying thanks and putting out there the same kind of information that helped me with my boat decision. The difficult part is that in another few months all the water here will hard ice. Oh well spring still comes after
    winter and the boat will have a heater.

I have an idea how about a few more pics. (smiley fun)

Inside toward the bow

Welding the Davit Socket Base

Transom Door

Helm and cuddy

Glen and Grant Working on my boat

Their name is on the door,and they still get their hands dirty,you gotta respect that

all for now tom
    Last edited by tviel49; 10-28-2011 at 22:28. Reason: can't figure out how to get spacing on sentences correct

It sure is fun to see the progress on these builds, now if only I could afford one !

Where do you intend to use this and what will be pushing her? Cool project.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Ohio wont know what hit it when that beast shows up. I'm hear to tell ya , every trip to the launch ramp will be a boat show so plan a little extra time at launch and recovery .

HEY MISTER , IS THAT THANG MADE OUT OF STAINLESS STEEL ....That's one of my favorites.Then there is the guy you talk to about your boat [ boat can't be seen ] and he tells you " Yep there nice, I had a johnboat once " then he sees your battleship and tries to comprehend what he's looking at ....It's a lot of fun to be the NEW ALLOY GUY, I have a blast with mine .

Welcome to the world of Plate Alloy boats.

1250 miles S/O paradise in the lwr 48 dreaming of SE AK

Great to see another one going together I really like mine if I had it to do over again I would. Wooldridge is great to do business with.

Mike

Do you have TWO spray rails going on there?

Great pictures btw, +1.

Default Wooldridge back again

Where do you intend to use this and what will be pushing her?

For the first year at least we have leased a slip in the Cleveland area on Lake Erie.

Basically Lake Erie and the Great Lakes US & Canada in the summer and hopefully haul her to South Florida in the winter. Being able to trailer her was one of the reasons for an alloy boat easily 2 or 3 thousand pounds less than a glass boat

There is just so much to learn. We Will be picking her up in late March and want to play with her on Lake Washington and see some of the San Juan Island area. ( Any help or opinions on how to best pull this off would be greatly appreciated.) We then will trailer her back home using the cabin as our road home.

I thought about power a lot I favored Yamaha over others and wanted Fly by Wire control,this allows full control of both engines at the rear station. As cruising is a main use of the boat and I am not a go-fast guy I chose a 300 Yam plus a 9.9 Yam high thrust kicker. I would have picked twin 150s if Yam built them with fly by wire. Twin 200s just seemed like overkill.

As to the attention that the boat will bring,I guess I need to be prepared for that. I know that when I was trying to see alloy boats in the mid-west there was not much I would not have done to see one and talk to the owner. Heck I flew to Seattle just to get a really good look. I don,t think I ever met anybody that wasn't proud enough of their boat to talk and show a little bit.

As far as spray rails, the lower of the 2 aluminum lines is a cove spray rail, as far as I know the upper is a rub rail. But I am no expert on boat design.

Gundog your boat build had me ready to buy a 26 Wooldridge. When we were in Seattle in June, Wooldridge had both a 26 and a 29 sitting side by side. That kid of gave me the opportunity to go back and forth between the boats and compare space and get a feel for the boats. Somewhere along the line I decided that if others could muster the courage to tow that 29 foot beast so could I. PS you do some real nice looking custom work.

I have a question for all out there. What size and number of fenders on a boat this size. I was thinking 8x26" probably a minimum of 4 if I get involved in a rafting situation. Opinions please I also see boat carrying at least one of the large orange teardrop shaped buoys, what for?? My experience is with a 17' Lund and 2 6" fenders. A little hep please.

Thanks Tom

Tom, that new F300 sure sounds like a nice motor. I wouldn't mind having a pair of them. I carry three or four of the orange buoys you are referring to. We several of them on the beaches each season. One is used to pull my anchor and the other two or three are used when we raft up. They keep that pesky gel coat off of my plate alloy hull. The bumpers you are referring to should work just fine.

Consider having them install front windows that open. Having that air flow through the cabin will be nice on those hot, humid days.

Cheers,

Pete
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

"We Will be picking her up in late March and want to play with her on Lake Washington and see some of the San Juan Island area. ( Any help or opinions on how to best pull this off would be greatly appreciated.) We then will trailer her back home using the cabin as our road home."

As far as the San Juans, its about a 2-3 hour drive up I5 N to Anacortes from Lake Washington. Take the Hwy 20 exit and head west. Here is a link to Washington Park in Anacourtes. There is a launch with a dock and you should be fine unless you launch on a really low tide. There are other launches nearby with slings. In March, the blackmouth fishery should still be available if you want to fish. If you haven't been to the San Juans, its a must see. Sounds like a good plan!

http://www.cityofanacortes.org/Parks/WaPark/wa_park.htm

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast