Thread: Winter Launching in Homer

Default Winter Launching in Homer

I've got a friend who's going to let me store my boat at his place in Anchor Point. I wondered what I need to know about winter launching in Homer. How icy and nasty does the launch get and what do I need to launch a boat there? Any advice? Also, I'm hoping to pull the boat down this weekend and maybe do a little king fishing....if the weather cooperatres. Does the ramp stay pretty functional this time of year?

I've never had the opportunity to do a winter launch, but I'd say a 4X4 truck with chains front and rear would be prudent.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

We launch all the time, ramp stays pretty good. But when the harbor start to freeze is when the problems start. Never had to use chains in the last 10 years but might need them someday.

Slow down the hill into Homer.........

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Homer is easy maybe after a ice storm but heck if you had to sand the whole ramp after a couple winter Kings are in the boat, what the heck. And yes that has been done.

aion12

The ELSWORD of Korea Q Edition online role playing games,
    Elsword ED
    in October 2006 Korea open beta for the first time
    .Elsword Gold
    Where rich or die tryin is the ELSWORD, will have giant agent in China.

Cheap Elsword Gold
    This Korea KOG company developed action game using 2D and 3D game interface match game scenes,
    simple and realistic action, readily easy even to twist, many tasks such as role playing elements of class joined,
    making it a rare action network role playing games
    .Elsword coins
    Initial public of Korea Q Edition online role playing game of the Elsword

aion12

Mode of the SilkRoad technology currently under operation of online games,
    this is one by Korea with Korea's Blizzard Joymax company reputation,
    at a cost of millions of dollars,
    silkroad gold Qing Li 3DMMORPG,
    2 years to build.sro gold
    Different from the numerous and many on the market of Korea mass production type online game in the background of most of the aerial structure,
    and unique use of Seventh century AD "SilkRoad" concept of history as a theme in this Flash,
    silkroad online gold
    huge world view structure on a real ancient SilkRoad.

Default I-C-Y

First off, aion12, bite me please...

I had Skookum in the water over the winter last year until the harbor ice got to be too much and I pulled it for the month of February. The boat froze into the slip and to get out I had to put in in reverse and chip my way slowly backwards until the boat was out of the slip and pointed towards the fairway. Then I gunned it and riding up on the ice broke through to the fairway. After that I parked the boat on the end of the float but it was still a rodeo trying to get away from the float and back into it when I left the harbor. The ice got so bad that I wondered if I was going to get back into the harbor when I did an overnighters at the cabin across the Bay.

Pan ice builds up on the north side of the Spit and flushes in and out of the harbor entrance. It can build up to a half mile offshore. I figured it was 3-4 feet deep right at the entrance, and I bet I had to run at half throttle just to keep the boat moving forward through it dead slow. Lots of bottom paint scraped off ($100 a foot / 27 foot long boat), and I worried about the stress on the lower unit and prop.

This year Skookum is coming out of water in Jan and Feb. Here's a photo of Dave Seaman January 21st coming back from a mail run as he punches his way back into the harbor. You'll understand why it freaked me out as a new boat owner...

icy.jpg

That said, the launch ramp was never so icy that I couldn't launch and retrieve Skookum (6K pounds) with my F150 in FWD on all-season radials. Never needed the chains I bought. I just tried to L&R on the high tide to minimize the travel up and down the ramp. I think the city sanded at times.

Fishing has been hit or miss lately. Got 2 in 5 hours of trolling on Saturday, a nasty day to be out there, but I'll be back out there today with Ruth and a visiting friend...

Thanks Cliffhanger. I'm not interested in fishing in January and February just November and then March to April. I want to hit the King Derby this year so I as mainly curious about launching around that time of year. April I'll bring the boat back to Anchorage for the shrimp opener in PWS. Anyway, thanks for the help. I've got studs on the truck so it sounds like I should be okay especially if I'm willing to work around the tides.

We saw you out on Friday. We only managed one very small king and a couple butts. It was well worth it though as normally my boat is winterized for the year by now. How'd you do on Friday?

Jim,

The boat froze into the slip and to get out I had to put in in reverse and chip my way slowly backwards until the boat was out of the slip and pointed towards the fairway. Then I gunned it and riding up on the ice broke through to the fairway....
    This just makes me cringe.

Here's a photo of Dave Seaman January 21st coming back from a mail run as he punches his way back into the harbor.
    Dave' boat is a wood/epoxy/fiberglass boat, correct? After spending 7 years maintaining a wooden Tolman widebody skiff, this makes me cringe even more.

Doug

Patrick, didn't get a bump, but today had a good one one but lost it shortly after hookup.

Doug, I believe all Dave's boat are plank, but I may certainly be wrong. Either way, he didn't see too concerned about it and was proud of his 100L% success rate on getting in and out of the harbor for his Tues/Fri mail runs last winter...