Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ceiling Material?

Default Ceiling Material?

I'd like to insulate the ceiling of my boat's cabin & cover it with sheeting of some sort. Having seen a number of boats with saggy, carpet-covered plywood ceilings, I'm not too fond of that option. My Hewescrafts have had vinyl-covered aluminum, and I thought they held up pretty well.

I have priced out 1/16" aluminum sheets, but before I pull the trigger on materials, I'm looking to see what other options are available. Thoughts?

What about PVC. Its cheap lightweight, flexible and will not rot or pit like aluminum

How about Divinycell or similar closed cell foam product for insulation and sound deadening..comes in sheets 1/4" and up in both rigid for flat surfaces and grid scrimmed for contoured areas. You might look at frp...has a nice, tight "pebble" finish...at both Lowe's and HD for the interior surface. The pvc that tabmarine suggested is probably quite a bit lighter than frp, though.

That sounds great if you can do both with one product. The pvc I was thinking about was the cover only.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. It looks like PlasChem Supply in Anchorage carries Divinycell, so I'll have to go take a peek at it. I'll also look to see what Lowes & Home Depot has for FRP and PVC panels.

My ceiling has an exposed grid of welded aluminum square tubing. I was planning to cut squares of blue board (similar) insulation to fit into the the grid, and then sheet it. It sounds like Divinycell might make the whole process a one-step ordeal.

Well if you have the grid and just put the Divinicell would you not have voids?

Quote Originally Posted by tabmarine View Post
    Well if you have the grid and just put the Divinicell would you not have voids?
    Yes, it would be hollow between the grid if I went with the Divinicell. Is that something I should avoid, and stick with my original plan of using squares of insulation & sheeting?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan in Alaska View Post

My ceiling has an exposed grid of welded aluminum square tubing. I was planning to cut squares of blue board (similar) insulation to fit into the the grid, and then sheet it. It sounds like Divinycell might make the whole process a one-step ordeal.
    Divinycell won't make it a one step ordeal. Unless you like the look of raw divinycell..bad idea.. or are particularly fond of the color blue, you'll need a finish layer of something. Too bad you didn't mention the grid or blue board in your 1st post when initially asking for advice. I don't see why that couldn't work well until you get to curved surfaces, if you have any. I'd definately stop by PlasChem. Stuff like you are contemplating is what they are all about. In the dead of winter, they may give you a bid on your project that's too good to refuse. At any rate, they can tell you the best way to do it and which materials/adhesives to use. Then you could realistically weigh "do it yourself" vs "pro installation". Good luck!

Stop by Alaska Rubber they would be the experts and have stock. I used the foam interlocking sheets Lowe's sells on the cabin berth floor, did so well I ran it up the wall. Some good carpet tape keeps it together nicely.

Dan,

I'd definately fill the voids with blue board, more insulation is always better, it makes the boat both warmer and quieter.

When we replaced our garage door last year I recycled the foil backed bubble rap insulation by putting it on my pilothouse roof and sides. I plan to cover it with marine vinyl, but I'm trying to find somebody that has both good prices on the vinyl and reasonable shipping costs.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I was on the phone with Koffler today, with other questions, and I brought up the subject of insulating my ceiling. He recommended lauan plywood & marine carpet as a headliner. Lowes sells 4x8 sheets of lauan plywood (5.2mm thick) for $16.97, which seems cheap enough. They also have an outdoor carpet for 50-cents a square foot. I'm thinking we might go this route, and if it sucks, we're not out much if we decide to scrap it.

Dan,

Don't discount the value of your labor, well unless you're having Chris do the work

I got some luan for building a small dinghy. I hade one sheet laying on edge and after a few months it twisted up like crazy.

I hope the inside of your boat doesn't turn out looking like an inverted peewee golf course
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I stopped by Lowes on my way home last night and took a look at their lauan plywood. The top couple of sheets were pretty well twisted & gnarly looking. I was fairly unimpressed, so maybe that's not going to be my first choice...

I looked at their selection of FRP, and I like the idea of a waterproof, one-step sheeting process, but I didn't see any colors other than white & almond. The inside of our boat cabin is a dark gray, so I'm not sure I'd be happy with those color choices. Can FRP be painted?

How about gluing up some Formica to the lauan or to some nice 1/4" plywood? Then you can get the color to match your interior and its easily washable. Though a lighter color ceiling would make the cabin brighter.
    One other thing! Why would a guy use very expensive Divinycell foam when all your looking for is insulation for the ceiling? Blueboard would work just as well and be 20% of the cost.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    How about gluing up some Formica to the lauan or to some nice 1/4" plywood? Then you can get the color to match your interior and its easily washable. Though a lighter color ceiling would make the cabin brighter.
    The 1/4" hardwood plywood at Lowes looked much better than their lauan. I may end up using it.

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Why would a guy use very expensive Divinycell foam when all your looking for is insulation for the ceiling? Blueboard would work just as well and be 20% of the cost.
    I priced DiVinylcell, and they wanted over $300 a sheet for the 1" stuff. I agree with you; I'll use blueboard instead.

I think Gary recommended Divinylcell before he had the whole scope of my project in mind. I was a little sparse on details in my first post. That's my fault.

We finished the ceiling project, so I figured I'd hang a couple of pictures. Here is what we started with:

We added 1" blue board to the existing grid. We're hoping it helps with sound dampening, as well as with heat retention.

The finished ceiling. For the headliner we used 1/4" oak veneer plywood and covered it with marine grade carpet. While not a fan of carpet on the fishing boat, it should help with condensation.

Looks good, Dan. When are you planning to tackle the trailer?
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I'm saving the trailer work for warmer weather. In the meantime the Espar is certainly making the boat projects more comfortable.

Nice, can't wait to see how well it works.

That looks very nice.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast