Thread: Thanksgiving deer hunt prince William sound

Default Thanksgiving deer hunt prince William sound

I wondering if anyone has any pointer on deer hunting late November in PWS. I have never been out there that late. I was on knight island a few weeks ago with nothing. Any suggestion on what to bring or what to expect. I have a 22 boulton soft top. We will be staying a few days

Well there's the obvious, good rain gear and extra food as water can get nasty fast. I'd have supplies that would get you through at least several extra days in case she blows.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Dura flame logs!!!!

I did the Thanksgiving hunt a few years back. Few deer and cold, wet snow. I prefer Kodiak.

Make sure to pay attention to the weather forecast and be prepared to spend several extra days if not a week or more, waiting for some good enough weather to get home.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Were doing that same week. Good rain gear. A week of extra food. Were beiing droped off. So we will be tenting it. Hope barnes bombshell tent and the cableas outfitter tent work good.

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Make sure you have a good anchor! And figure out a few good anchorages beforehand so if the weather comes up (which it most likely will) You have a plan to get to protection. Lots of little coves you can hide in, but it's good to have an idea where you want to go instead of having to make that decision in a panic.

Deer should be down in the lower elevations by then and the bucks will still be stupid from the rut. Cruising the beaches the last two hours before low water and the first couple hours after is usually good that time of year. Especially if it's at first light or before dusk. And if there's a heavy snow, it doesn't matter the time or the tide, the deer will be close to the beach. Some years back 7 of us made a trip to Montague in Dec and the night we left town, it snowed three feet. We were anchored in Rocky Bay at daylight which was high water. Literally as soon as the tide started dropping, deer were wading into the water to get at any exposed grass or seaweed that the high tide had uncovered. Wasn't really hunting, but it was harvesting. We all limited out in two days and saw hundreds of deer.

PS If you do beach hunt, always make sure you have a safe way to get to an animal you kill. It's easy to get excited and kill one, then realize those waves that were pretty gentle off shore are breaking on the beach. Also, if you get off your boat to hunt, be very aware of weather changes. It can happen suddenly. Many years ago my brother and a friend skiffed in to the beach to hunt and the weather came up and they couldn't get off the beach. They spent the night huddled under the overturned skiff, and when the weather still hadn't come down in the morning, they had to hike a couple miles to a spot where the others on the boat could get in to pick them up. Needless to say, they were pretty happy somebody else had been there at all to pick them up. Otherwise, it might not have ended good.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

twodux thanks for the info I will put it to use here in a months I cant wait. I hoping to get to montague but if not naked or knight. i more less worried about the weather (waves)

You're welcome. Also a tip for shooting from the boat. Time your shot for the top of the swell, there will be a slight hesitation where you can get off a clean shot before the boat starts falling. I have a buddy who's a way better shot than me at the range. But put us side by side on a boat and I'll shoot circles around him. He has trouble concentrating when the boat is rocking.

And remember, the boat can't be moving under power when you shoot, or still be drifting from your forward momentum when you throttle back to neutral. You come to a complete stop. Then get set. Wind or tide drift and you're still legal. You can usually get fairly close, like 100 yards or less. No need to hurry. I always idle in, then get set. Also, watch for submerged rocks near shore. Another reason to take it easy.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Have you ever heard anything about latouche? I have hear a few things nothing special, I was thinking I might have better protection heading out if the weather is bad then heading straight to Montague.

Pass on LaTouche.. I had a cabin there and never was quite able to get a deer; all of mine came from Montague.

thanks driveacub i will pass