Thread: Shipping shot shells

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default Shipping shot shells

Used to have NO trouble shipping or taking as luggage via ERA now ERA cargo says no, I must go and fill out hazmat forms? Anyone ship or take shells to kodiak?
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Thats not what I was told by the Era counter at Anchorage. Two weeks ago, I took 5 boxes (1/2 a case) of 3.5 inch shells to Valdez with me in my luggage. When I went to tell the lady about them, she said there was no need to declare the ammunition. Sounds like contradictnig company policy.

I would guess that the difference is in "shipping" it and taking it as luggage.

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakcombo View Post
    Used to have NO trouble shipping or taking as luggage via ERA now ERA cargo says no, I must go and fill out hazmat forms? Anyone ship or take shells to kodiak?
    If you are shipping them as cargo you will need to complete a declaration of dangerous goods. That has been federal law for over 20 years. In order to sign a declaration of dangerous goods you need training, which has been federal law since 1991 or 1992. However, I have never seen where someone not shipping in commerse is required to have the training. I think the DOT law says "anyone" which would be people shipping their own belongings. Since 9/11/2001 you also need to be a known shipper, which requires a long time lag to get some background check stuff completed. Huge PITA when I was in business of shipping hazardous stuff every week back then.

This is from the ERA website:

Ammunition allowance:
    Regulations allow for up to 50 lbs permitted if packed in the original manufacturer's package or in a container designed for ammunition and of sufficient strength to protect it from accidental crushing or discharge; for example wood, fiber plastic or metal. Ammunition must be no larger then 11/16" in diameter. Era Alaska will not transport fully automatic weapons.

Passengers must identify all firearms during check in. You must read and sign a special tag for each firearm(s) container. This declaration states that the firearm is unloaded and that weapon(s) and ammunition are properly packaged. Failure to declare firearms will result in fines from the United States Government and local authorities.

This follows all other commerical air carriers I have flown on in the last 30 years in AK. Whom ever at ERA told you to ship it cargo needs some training.

Ak Ray is pretty right all around. The "known shipper" rules, as I understand them, do not apply to instate transportation of goods as freight. Whether in state or cross state lines, you can carry ammunition in checked baggage like he says.
    Companies are being forced to do things differently now due to TSA, even though most regs as noted have been in place. This is not a desire on the carriers part to make your life as a customer more difficult, it is just the hoops they need to hit.
    Normally, when shipping freight, the carrier will provide the forms and information that you need to fill out to help you along. Expect a Hazmat fee in addition to shipping charges now, something likely you did not pay for before.
    ARR

Banned

So how did you do hunting there?

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ownerstate View Post
    So how did you do hunting there?
    Just made to the island, packed my ammo as baggage. The gal at the counter was more up to speed than the cargo guys.
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    Ammunition must be no larger then 11/16" in diameter.
    A 12 g shell is larger than 11/16"