Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: A couple exciting new boats from Wooldridge

Default A couple exciting new boats from Wooldridge

I had to take a trip to Seattle for work recently and so I made time to go check out the Wooldridge shop. I was excited to see a few new boats, all of which I'd like to have sitting in my driveway...I visited with the intention to check out a specific project that they are working on, as I have great interest in a new 'back country' boat in development, but I left much more unsure of exactly what I wanted for my next boat...now I've got a few boats to think about...

The first one is a new entry level ocean boat. I've always been enamored with the large aluminum ocean boats. I can't stop thinking how much fun it'd be to spend the weekends exploring the salt with my family. Unfortunately, every time I think about the cost of the boats I quickly realize that an outfitted ocean boat isn't in my near future. That is until I checked out the new pilot house that Wooldridge is building. I don't have a lot of specs on the boat yet but I'll be keeping my eye on this one as it's being built. I believe it is intended to offer another option as an 'entry' level boat, and priced such. I have checked out a couple of the 'entry' level boats, and honestly I haven't been impressed. But to be fair, I've always compared them to the pilot's in the 30' class so not exactly a fair comparison. This little guy has a head, storage, little dinette, and a sleeping area up front....Just like the 29' pilot's Wooldridge builds.

This little 20 footer is basically just like the 29's only shrunk down, hopefully the price is shrunk too....if so, I just might be spending a little time in it at the boat show this year...

This is the only picture I have of it now, I'll try to keep up on the build of this one...

The other boat I have a couple pictures of is a new Sport Jet. They are putting the SJ into a 17' Sport Drifter...this is going to be a neat little boat...I've always liked the Sport Drifters, in fact a 23' Super Sport Drifter was high on my list for my next boat, but I've got to say this boat should be a hoot....again, I don't have all of the particulars on the boat yet, but I'll try to keep up on this boat as well...What I do know is it will have the same 3/16" bottom of the outboard Sports, but additional reinforcements will be added throughout....having driven the Sports before, I'm excited to check out the handling of this boat with the Sport Jet, this boat simply turns.....hard...

The third boat that really has my interest is a 'back country' style little boat...I have no pictures of that one but I'll keep the info coming as it becomes available....there's not many places I haven't been able to take my previous boats but I think there may be a new toy on the horizon that will get me even further up some head waters and then back again with a moose or 2 ...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Thanks for posting the info! Come on you know you want an ocean boat, everyones doing it!
    In 2011, the United States military finally starts to enforce the no sodomy rule...

Quote Originally Posted by ken210 View Post
    ...! Come on you know you want an ocean boat, everyones doing it!
    you are correct.....someday I'll be cruising the sound with all of you guys
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

I can't help but think a 23' wooly AK with a 6.0L would be SICK!

The 20' Pilot sure looks top heavy..............

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AKBassking View Post
    The 20' Pilot sure looks top heavy..............
    I was thinking the same thing. I am curious how tall of a person it will be able to sleep without being in a yoga position. What will the beam be? Interesting. Thanks for the pics.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I think it's going to be a great new boat. Build it in 20 and 22' with a 150 on the back and it will be a great new affordable boat to fish out of. One thing I'd like to see is a sliding cabin door. Swing doors on little boats take up too much room when opening and closing. I think having a slider would be great. Keep sending the pics.

I think the pilot house will look a lot more balanced once the windows are cut out. Right now it looks like a boat shaped wedding cake.

To make a couple points and answer a few questions.

First, the 17' Sport "Sport Jet" is based on the 17' Sport hull not the Super Sport Drifter. Second, the 20' Pilothouse we're building does not have the dinette option.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I think the pilot house will look a lot more balanced once the windows are cut out. Right now it looks like a boat shaped wedding cake.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. I am curious how tall of a person it will be able to sleep without being in a yoga position. What will the beam be? Interesting. Thanks for the pics.
    The beam is 97 1/2" and the bed width is 6'.

The head height in the aisle is 6'5". We get this by recessing the aisle down between the rails. You step down approximately 8" into the cabin from the rear deck.- Glen

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Wooldridge View Post

The head height in the aisle is 6'5". We get this by recessing the aisle down between the rails. You step down approximately 8" into the cabin from the rear deck.- Glen
    Thanks Glen. This should be a popular model.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Keep up the innovative work Glen. Its always exciting to see what you guys are building. Just don't show my wife or she'll be talking about downsizing.

That 20' cabin looks like an awesome fish killing machine, with a nice cabin to get out of the weather!

But to the op, if you want to explore the sound with a family and sleep on the boat, you're going to want something signifigantly bigger than a 20' cabin boat, just the way it is.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Twin fifty's on the 20' would be the cats meow....I may have to look into it. Anyone have a good story to tell my wife why 3 boats are needed in Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by f0zzy2 View Post
    Twin fifty's on the 20' would be the cats meow....I may have to look into it. Anyone have a good story to tell my wife why 3 boats are needed in Alaska.
    His, Hers and a spare.

I would do at least twin 90's.

Wonder if WB will be doing the full UHMW bottom on that 17' Sport?
    From experience, that 17' Sport was/is a nimble rig, a 200 SJ on there and a plastic bottom would make it a very fun boat for rivers and creeks.
    I think I would want a 1/4" bottom on it if I was going the SJ option, but all the extra structure in there will probably do the trick.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Wooldridge View Post
    To make a couple points and answer a few questions.

First, the 17' Sport "Sport Jet" is based on the 17' Sport hull not the Super Sport Drifter. Second, the 20' Pilothouse we're building does not have the dinette option.

Glenn, this is looking like something those of us who want the space of a cuddy but don't necessarily need the dinetee and galley. The OP said something about seeing it at a boatshow. Will there be a model available here in Anchorage, AK for the Feb boat show or are we talking a Lower 48 boat show?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    That 20' cabin looks like an awesome fish killing machine, with a nice cabin to get out of the weather!

But to the op, if you want to explore the sound with a family and sleep on the boat, you're going to want something signifigantly bigger than a 20' cabin boat, just the way it is.
    You're correct. The larger boats are much better for PWS. However, they cost more and not everyone is comfortable towing or handling a larger boat but would like the features normally found in them.- Glen

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
    Wonder if WB will be doing the full UHMW bottom on that 17' Sport?
    From experience, that 17' Sport was/is a nimble rig, a 200 SJ on there and a plastic bottom would make it a very fun boat for rivers and creeks.
    I think I would want a 1/4" bottom on it if I was going the SJ option, but all the extra structure in there will probably do the trick.

The 17' Sport SJ has .190 bottom with a .160 doubler between the rails running the full length of the planning surface making a total of .350 in that area.- Glen

Glen, be sure to show MORE build pictures of the cuddy as it progresses .

Interesting design. I often wondered why more boat builders did not build a quality, lightweight boat with a cabin that would weigh under 5,000 pounds including the trailer. And you have a knack for building lightweight sturdy boats.
    The reason I mentioned 5,000 pounds is because this is the max weight most gas motorhomes can tow. Good luck with this boat, it seems to have a lot of potential for Alaska.
    Will it get in under 5K on the trailer with the motor and fueled?
    Tennessee

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast