Thread: the wife's 3yr wait for a moose

Default the wife's 3yr wait for a moose

Attachment 54498Attachment 54499
    So I will keep this one short. My wonderful wife and mother to my great kids got her hands on a cow moose tag for the 3rd time in her hunting career. The first year we had a missed opportunity on a cow while she was pregnant with my youngest son. She was quite a trooper walking through alot of tundra and bushes without one complaint. The second time she got a tag I was out of town and she was tied up with work so she was unable to get out and get a day of hunting in. This year she went out with her brother a couple of times but did not see one single cow. I took her out right before I left on my hunt and I spotted two cows sidehilling in the early morning. After a long stalk up the hill we descended to the area where we last spotted the cows and found a four foot trench with ten foot high willow bushes on both sides where the cows dropped into and used to elude us. I could see the disappointment and frustration on my wife's face but yet she kept her head up high. So I am back from my hunt and boy am I tired and exhausted, but I see my wife still has some drive in her to go hunting one more time. So we load up and head out the next day which just happens to be the last day of the cow season, no pressure on me! We are about an hour into her hunt and my hawk eye wife says " hey! what's that moving over there?". So out come the binos and low and behold there are two cows walking through a clearing as clear as day. Now, after the excitement of finding our quarry we devised a plan to intercept them so she could get a shot. At about 600 yards one cow dissapeared into the brush and the other decided to stare at us make our way closer to her. It couldn't have happened any better, wind in our favor and enough brush to hide us but not block our view of the cow now frozen with the fear of not knowing what we were. So we get my wife set up but I forgot that she is shorter than me and can't see the cow, so she moves herself into a position where she is comfortable. Now the fun begins as she is steadying her breathing and looking through the scope mounted on my Winchester .300 focusing on her target ever so diligently. Next thing I noticed was the cow looked up the hill and then started to turn her head back toward us and then BOOM! WHACK! And peace fell on the valley for a brief second till I realized that my wife just dropped her first moose with one shot! I made my way over and gave her one of the biggest hugs ever and congratulated her. We made our way up to the cow and found her laying in a clearing and the look on my wife's face at that moment was the best thing I have seen in a long while. To sum it up, 3 tags, 194 yrds uphill, one shot, the chance to hunt with my wife....priceless!
    Thanks again for letting me share my long winded hunting stories with you.

PICS man, PICS! Congrats to the wife.

Outstanding! Congrats to you both! Retry those pictures!

Tell her congrats nothing like hunting with family.

Congrats to you both! Hopefully you can get the picture feature worked out!!!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Way to go ! Thanks for sharing, now about those pics.

hopefully the pics came out. nothing like being with family and enjoying the outdoors. I love living in Alaska!

Quote Originally Posted by akhunter4811 View Post
    hopefully the pics came out. nothing like being with family and enjoying the outdoors. I love living in Alaska!
    I share the same sentiments! Good job!!!

Congrats to your wife! Thanks for sharing the pics/story!
    Karma is like a rubber band; it can only stretch so far before it comes back and smacks you in the face.

Very nice. Looks heavy too. My wife just got her first moose after 4 years of applying.

Three times is a charm! Its great you were able to get out there with your wife and help her connectw ith her moose good job and congrats!