Thread: Big bear out of Cold Bay

Default Big bear out of Cold Bay

Anyone else hear about it? Got a buddy finishing up a job over there, said a couple from Ak shot a potential record, 11 ft, 30" skull. I know stories have a way of growing, wondering if anybody else heard this.

Default 3 big boys

I heard from a friend that one 30" was taken, one @ 29", & someone found the skull of another 29" bruin down that way. I have yet to see pictures or hear the stories. This was from a guide who works down in the area.

About 3 weeks ago I was talking to 2 guys in the Sportsman's Warehouse parking lot in Anchorage. They were just back from Cold Bay and said they took one bear that squared well over 10' and one that was 9' 6". They told me some other guy took one in some bay over there that squared over 11'. I hope it is all true, I like thinking there are 11" bears running around and wish I could pin one of their hides on my wall !

Like .338 mag said I sure hope its true since thats what I have been looking for over the years. Just need to be in the right location at the right time.

aah big bear rumors, i love 'em!! seen an 11 foot plus once, it ended up at 11'4" on kodiak, got shot the week after i saw it by the guide next to us.
    they are out there, just gotta put in the time and be the one with the numbers and stars that all line up! i hope these stories are true and we get some pics!!!
    rumors a few years back about a new world record outa the ak pen, then they had it sealed and it only measured 28"...someone got a little excited rough scoring it!!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I haven't heard these rumors first hand yet but I believe them! I used to do a lot of work out of Cold Bay in the summer and fall. Biggest bears I've ever seen hang out within a few miles of town. I used to take a can of plaster of paris with me, When I found a nice set of tracks I'd make a mold of it. I watched a sow with cubs cross the road one day, she turned to look at me and I'd swear her head was 2 feet wide! After they were a good ways gone I poured a cast of her tracks. Her front paw was 9 inches across and back paw was 14 inches long not including claws. I still have those casts sitting in my office. She pressed the soil down 2 full inches in an area my 200 pound's could barely leave a boot mark.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,
    Teach a man to fish and he'll also learn to drink, lie, and avoid the honey do list.

Can't say on all three but I flew back in to town with the guy that shot the 11' bear. He was hunting with R&R and said that the skull was 29 and change. Also heard of one coming out of Unimak this spring that was well over 30. The refuge guys down there were saying it was the biggest they had seen. Good year for bear hunting.

The trick to harvesting a really monster bear.........is don't shoot a NON-Monster bear. More easily said than done.

I heard there was a 12 footer taking off the Kamchatka? Just cant remember where I heard it? Anyone remember the one a few years back with the Airforce guy?
    HL Mencken, defined a demagogue (American Politician) as "one who will preach doctrines he knows to be untrue to men he knows to be idiots."

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    The trick to harvesting a really monster bear.........is don't shoot a NON-Monster bear. More easily said than done.
    Its been working for me for 20 or so years.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Its been working for me for 20 or so years.
    hahaha...............

I believe the guide is a member here. I saw some pictures of it on his facebook page, yes it is a huge bear! I'll leave it up to him if he wants to share the details......