Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Wife's 1st Successful Hunt (Big Game)

Default My Wife's 1st Successful Hunt (Big Game)

She was lucky enough to get drawn for the unit 13B East Caribouhunt, We Planned our trip for the 20-25th of October. Hit Denali Hwy late onthe 20th and crashed. Woke up to a cold crisp day, drove the Hwy all day andsaw Zip. Day two headed to Swede lake trail. Lots of trucks and ATZs. Ran intoa nice heard of about 25-30 with a few bulls (tag was Bull only) tried to makea stalk as they were about 350 Yds. Another group of hunters came down the trail andspooked the herd. She was bummed. Not liking the cold and the missed oppurtunity. Three hourslater she spotted another herd I estimated approx 200 in the group again too farfor her to shoot and behind a lot of brush. She got within 150 yards of a smallgroup but they were all bunched she couldn’t' get a clean shot. we-shepatiently waited then here comes another hunter on an ATV and poof all 200gone... She was very upset. However, I was proud she made the right choice notto shoot into the herd. That day we saw numerous bous taken out of the trail.Next day long and cold no caribou to be seen then a snow storm hit we debatedstaying but the parking lot was empty and we didn't want to chance gettingsnowed in and hit the road. We parked just outside of Paxson and woke up to aclear morning. She wanted to give it one more try. Hunted hard all day and shewas getting worried-bummed ran into a few hunters no-one seeing anything. At4-PM made one more trip down the trail and she spots a herd about 300 yards offin thick brush. She makes a Stalk and gets within 150 yard but still no clearshot. They start moving in our direction she finds a clear shot on the paththey have chosen. Several decent Bulls pass. Then bang. She scores with anice lung shot at 50 yards. She did great and I am very proud of her....
    IMG_0286.jpg

Way to go man!! Great story and congrats to the wife. Nothing like getting the Mrs. that first animal....WAY cooler anything I have shot myself. Thanks for sharing.

Nice congrats to your wife!

Concrats to the both of you for spending time in the outdoors together.

Chris

Congrats to both of you and good job not giving up when frustrated!

gman- congrats to your wife on a fantastic bou! looks like I wasn't the only one who took the wife out into the wild.

Good looking caribou tell her congrats

hunting is funny that way....sometimes it just take time. your wife really came through when it was important to do everything right, taking her cariboo cleanly with one shot. good going!!
    happy trails.
    jh

Great job - congrats on sticking with it and making a great shot!
    The anticipation for taking game is always at a peak the first day or two and its easy to start getting bummed out as the clock keeps ticking - thats when one must take a deep breath and remember its the "whole" experience that really matters - you did great!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Excellent ! Way to hang in there and get it done, Congratulations to you both !

Great Job! I bet you are very proud of her as you should be. Nice pic. Love the big smile.

Awesome! Hunts like that where you have to work through multiple missed opportunities and days of frustration tend to make the sweetest memories. Congratulations to your wife! It sounds like she'll be a great hunter for years to come, as patience and persistence trump all else in finding success.

Very nice. I enjoy hunting with my wife as well.

Nice mature bull, that's for sure! Beautiful cape as well!!

Her smile says it all!! Congrats and thanks for sharing her story/pic with all of us!!!
    Karma is like a rubber band; it can only stretch so far before it comes back and smacks you in the face.

Congrats thats a great looking bull and happy wife! Way to stick with it and keep trying.

Awesome!!!
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Cool beans............nice looking bou. I like when a plan works, even when it gets hard.

Gman,

She was so tickled by her first ptarmigan I can't imagine how pumped she was for this! From falling down shooting birds to getting back up and hoisting that big ole Caribou. Great job and congrats to you and Mrs. Gman.
    Go Big Red!

It was a pleasure to meet you and misses Gman. You two seemed to be having a good ol' time and that was before you got the fine bull! Congrats on the successful hunt, maybe we will see you up there next year!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast