Thread: Stinky Lab Pup

Default Stinky Lab Pup

Got my first "Real Lab". My last one was a major disappointment. Would not fetch, petrified of anything that went bang, and didn't care much for water.
    Hated him so much I kept him for 13 years - he was a year old when I got him and some slob spoiled him for anything but a cowering pet. But what a great pet he was! Hence the home for his whole life. Finally had to put him down a few weeks ago - really hurt - so you see I really didn't hate him at all!
    Anyway got me a real nice little AKC Lab and he already likes to fetch and is not at all afraid of gun fire - so maybe now I have the makings of a good friend AND a hunter. My dogs live inside with us and this little guy has a real oder about him. The vet proclaimed him healthy as can be but I forgot to ask about what I can do to keep his smell down somewhat.
    Any ideas out there? His name is OD (for Our Dog, pronounced Odie)
    Thanks
    RonEmailOdie.jpg

I'd check with you vet to be sure. Some dogs just smell and some just smell at times. I noticed my lab had an odor about him when he was younger. We learned that when he was wormed the "good bacteria" in his body was also killed. On the advice of a doc I went to the grocery store and bought yougurt with as many different live cultures as I could find. A spoon full a day and soon the odor was gone. The odor my pup had was more of a strong sour smell. Just something to check, but I'd talk to a vet before trying any home remedy.

Change your dog food brand.

Ron,

Sometimes the little guys hit the backs of their front legs when they pee. After a few days they can get pretty ripe. I have 11 dogs that share their house with me, and occassionally a CRP plot full of pheasants. Thankfullly, they haven't punished me for missing the occassional shot at a rooster, but they definitely don't understand why I won't shoot at hens. I have found that high quality dog food with meat as the first ingredient and Omega 3 fatty acids not only keeps the odor down (they are dogs afterall) but, results in less yard clean up and fewer visits to the vet. If you can get it, Diamond Large Breed Puppy, Pro Plan Large Breed Puppy, Nutro, Iams Large Breed Puppy, or Eukanuba are all good bets. Fish oil capsuls are a good training treat, and sometimes salmon breath is preferable to D.O. ( Had the pack break into a bottle of their treats on a hunting trip. Woke up in the morning and thought bagels and loks were on the menu). Have fun with little OD.

Just wanted to chime in and comment on a fine looking lab!

I just got myself a black lab female pup myself, shes not quite a year old yet and man shes lookin good!

How are his ears? My Springers ears starts to stink sometimes if I haven't cleaned them out.

The other thing is that he might just have a higher oil content in his fur than other labs, which would be a good thing, for him anyway! I know most chessies are that way.

Nice lookin pup!!