Thread: 300 SAUM question

Default 300 SAUM question

Who has one? and what do you like about it?

I have done quite a bit of searching on the subject and see that there are many folks that love this round over the 300WSM. Benchrest, "snipers", reloaders, AR-10 lovers, all seem to have great things to say about it.

Why I am asking. I am getting older and the .338WM is kicking my rear these days. The 30-06 is in a Ruger Ultra light and I can't get the most out of the round in that short barrel. However, I love this little gun, and since I am on the small side it works so well compared to my old 338WM work horse.

Right now there appears to be a lot of folks selling their 300 SAUM's since Remington has dropped it for the WSM and ammo is getting harder to find they say. Since I reload the ammo issue does not bother me.
    Finding an affordable, SS, light, short action in 300 SAUM is pretty easy these days, so it has me thinking about it.

There looks like a pretty good deal on Gunbroker in your caliber and SS/syn. The price seems good but it has a muzzle brake.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=257564588

Remington Model 7

My wife has one, Remington 700 RMEF version, it has been shortened to fit her, trigger set to 2.5# and a brake installed. When she first bought it we took it to Birchwood to get it sighted in and just see how she liked it. She went through a box of shells and had to get some more. They are very close to the WSM in performance with a little less powder.

Gus

Quote Originally Posted by Speedo View Post
    My wife has one, Remington 700 RMEF version, it has been shortened to fit her, trigger set to 2.5# and a brake installed. When she first bought it we took it to Birchwood to get it sighted in and just see how she liked it. She went through a box of shells and had to get some more. They are very close to the WSM in performance with a little less powder.

Gus
    Gus, how many AK critters has she taken with it? and how did the round work on them?

Ray, I've taken everything in Alaska with my 300 RSAUM, short of a brown bear. I took my brown bear with a 300 WBY, but I am sure my model 7 would have done the same job. You've given me a shameless reason to post another pic of the caribou I took last month, so here ya go, trusty model 7 strapped on the pack. One shot, 350 yards, 168 grain TSX. I love my 300 RSAUM, and will never get rid of it.

Thanks for the additional photo. I met a guy tonight at Mountain View sports that has a 300 SAUM and loves it. Sounds like I should pull the trigger on the deal I am looking at. then get some dies, a shell holder, some brass and get after it.

BTW I saw the little brother to your bull about 20 miles from the area you were in. He needs another year to grow some points. He had the mass and height though.

I've got a custom job coming in any day now from a gunsmith in AZ. The 300 RSAUM is his go to round. A good friend who introduced me to this gunsmith has been hunting with the same recipe of rifle has taken Goats, Griz and Sheep with it. His kills are on video and those critters don't get any deader than that, no matter what the are shot with. The custom ammo he tweeks for his riffles are loaded with burger VLDs and gets tiny groups all the way out to 700yards. The VLDs make me a little worried just because I have never shot them before and their termanial ballistics properties are designed to loose a lot of weight. The new riffle that comming is worked up with 180gr VLDs.

I've shot a Model 700 VSSF for about ten or so years now as a target rifle. I bought it originally because a 308 wouldn't stay supersonic to 1,000 yards. I did like the idea of the cartridge fitting in a 308 length magazine box, as opposed to the WSM needing an "intermediate" length box. After the addition of a speedlock adjustable buttplate, a forend rail for a handstop, a Mo's 15 minute extended scope base, and a Leupold 8.5-25x, it's my go to long range rifle. Hornady 178's with RL-22 for the powder.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."