Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bush flying the Taylorcraft

Question Bush flying the Taylorcraft

Does any one, or knows of anyone useing the taylor craft for hunting ,trapping etc. in the back country? What plane set ups work best and who's out there doing it.Thanx. Looking into these planes .

I don't know much about T-Crafts, but there is no shortage of them around. You see them on floats, wheels, and skis. Smaller motor usually means lower fuel burn. They are relatively inexpensive. And I'm sure they have hauled lots of critters over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by madtrapper47 View Post
    Does any one, or knows of anyone useing the taylor craft for hunting ,trapping etc. in the back country? What plane set ups work best and who's out there doing it.Thanx. Looking into these planes .
    It has been said that the T-craft climbs at 40, glides at 40, and stalls at 40. it's a very safe airplane, though rather small in the cockpit area. It's not for the big guys! In its original, it was a 65-hp ship with no battery, so no starter, radio or much of anything else electrical, which wa okay with most of us who flew them. They don't have a great load-carrying capacity.

It the plane has been fitted with an 85-hp engine, it's a much better performer, and a little better in load carrying. In its original configuration, the pilot, one passenger, and two beaver plews would be something of an overload, as I remember it. All in all, it's a very safe, inexpensive airplane.

I hear ya Grizz, looks like that guy better have some snowshoes. Thanx.

The F-19 series w/100hp. is a nice airplane. My hunting partner used to own one. We got rid of the cable/drum brakes, installed rotor/disc brakes and hyd. master cylinders. For a 100 horse it hauled a good load. Nothing beats horse power for getting out of the snow on skiis though....and it needed flaps....save your dollars and buy a supercub.....

Years ago there was a guy up on Anderson Lake strip between Palmer and Wasilla who managed to get an approval for the installation of a 0-290D2 engine (135 hp at cruise 140 at take-off rpm) into his T-craft.
    It was one of the older models so the legal gross was not helped any... but the reality gross and performance did pretty good.
    He cleared the ground about the same distance as my old PA-12, but he climbed out at a slightly shallower angle.
    But he was much faster in cruise speed.
    He had Lexan windows all over his doors which helped with that "I'm in a coffin" feeling that I always got in the older T-crafts.
    I do like T-crafts on skis since they are pretty lightweight. They are much easier to muscle around and they don't settle much if left unattended while you are ice-fishing.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    Years ago there was a guy up on Anderson Lake strip between Palmer and Wasilla who managed to get an approval for the installation of a 0-290D2 engine (135 hp at cruise 140 at take-off rpm) into his T-craft.
    It was one of the older models so the legal gross was not helped any... but the reality gross and performance did pretty good.
    He cleared the ground about the same distance as my old PA-12, but he climbed out at a slightly shallower angle.
    But he was much faster in cruise speed.
    He had Lexan windows all over his doors which helped with that "I'm in a coffin" feeling that I always got in the older T-crafts.
    I do like T-crafts on skis since they are pretty lightweight. They are much easier to muscle around and they don't settle much if left unattended while you are ice-fishing.
    Good review of a good ol' airplane.

Quote Originally Posted by madtrapper47 View Post
    Want to know about the T-craft go talk to Heidi at Lake Hood. She's been flying hers for 40+yrs I betcha. I flew it with her in 1983. Slow climb as I recall and pretty squirrelly in the wind gusts.

Heidi and her son, Richard, still teach out of Lake Hood.

Seems like she told me she had to put down in the inlet once but was able to swim to shore. I'm gonna ask her about that the next time I see her.

Good luck with it.

vb.taylorcraft.org
    -Out-of-State for school, remembering why I love Alaska so much

Here is a good article about the T-craft:
    http://www.airbum.com/pireps/ClassiccompTCraft.html

T
    he T-craft is a great little bird for off field work as long as you have a long enough runway and don't go to heavy. It is not a Supercub, and doesn't climb to fast, but is plenty capable with 8.50s or bushwheels. I have also heard that it is a sweet ride on skis and does fine on floats. I'll second the suggestion to go talk to Heidi Ruess at arctic fliers on lake hood. She knows her stuff with the T-cart.

Kenai pen, in summer. Matsu vally in winter

If you do decide to get a t-craft i do have a few pointers for you. You want at least a 85 hp motor, one with the inch and a half gear.
    and the lighter the better no electrics starter battery.
    I have a 95 hp motor beefed up gear 29 inch bushwheels floats and ske's Ive done every kind of hunting you can do from a plane with it.
    been all over the state. They are better than a cub in turbalance Your legs dont get black and blue. they are rated for loops spins and rolls they do fly upside down not recomended unless you have inverted fuel system.
    They make a great ske plane I was on a small lake a few years back a pacer landed and taxied up by me and fell thru the overflow took us both three hours to get it out. I took off no problem he went to take off in my tracks and fell thru the overflow again.
    I landed another two hours to get him out Finaly he made it . Ive landed in 4 ft fresh snow with no problems just do two touch and go's and land in your tracks and you have a runway. The hole key to the t craft is knowing what you can and cant do. When i am light and by myself on bushwheels i paced it off the other day was 38 deg i could get off in 65 feet. I have a sin,74-38 prop its as flat as she gets i turn 2650 on take off. But i only cruse 85. It is a great float plane Light i can get in and out of some small lakes
    If i get a moose i just haft to make a few loads to a little bigger lake then two trips home. I have almost a 600lb useful load on floats.
    I started with a 1946 bc-12-d then upgraded to the 1500 lb gross wt. Most all the hunting i do is with other freinds with planes the - t-craft is a great bush plane when you are light and fair when you are heavy if you are willing to make a few trips to a bigger strip or lake when you have your buddy and gear and fuel and two big moose on the ground. Have had this t-crft sice 1989 Finaly have her where i want her and all on 5.5 gallons a hour..Attachment 0[IMG][/IMG]Attachment 54936
    Attached Images Attached Images

How is the over nose vis compared to the 26s?

Looking over the nose with the 29's is not to bad i do alot of s turns Pluss i use a pad to sit on so i can see over the nose better.<BR>I am only 5ft6 so it would be better for anyone taller. As far as takeing off its no problem at all the tail comes up in about 5 feet.<BR>Landing isnt a problem eather The taylorcraft never has had great visability to begin with. I am just so ust to it. When i do get to fly the cub Its like wow i can see. I had the 26 inch goodyears on her before and when i went to the bushwheels it was like wow what a smooth ride like going from a go cart to a cadilac. The otherthing i noticed is she gets off the ground faster on the bushwheels.<BR>She lands slower because i can carry more power on landing without having the tail wheel hit first. The t-crft is a great bush plane but like anythig else you haft to know your limatations.

I have flown with lance in his T-crate and its a fun lil bird! We wont talk about my 65 hp Avid on floats out cruising him on ski's though

She does look GOOD on those 29's Lance!

The only thing at tcart will out-cruise is a PA-11 or J-3.

Avid when will you be off work.
    my lake will be good to go this week. madtrapper47 thats what you should look into is a plane like avids got it dose real well for what you want to do also.....

Quote Originally Posted by matsuthunder View Post
    Avid when will you be off work.
    my lake will be good to go this week. madtrapper47 thats what you should look into is a plane like avids got it dose real well for what you want to do also.....

Do I detect a three-bladed prop and droop ailerons here? Nice job !!!

Thanx alot guy's for all the input and info. i'm looking at getting a t-craft. You start looking at cost, first plane and handling and i'm hooked on getting one. Now i'm looking at diferrent models for my needs. I'm 230# and i want off field with floats ,ski's and oversized rubber. Looking at a f-19 0200 and floats . Found a couple 32000 to 40000. Never seen the f-22 for sale. Again thanx alot. Jeff.

Are you in Maine or alaska I do know of a t-craft that might be coming up for sale. It has all the goody's Floats wheels and ski's...
    I say might because he is in love with it and sometimes he wan'ts to sell it and sometimes he dont.
    Are you trapping now. I am getting ready.. I flew out to the cabin yesterday 17 below brrrrrrrrrr

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast