Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1990 Polaris Indy Trail Deluxe

Question 1990 Polaris Indy Trail Deluxe

does anyone know how to determine the engine size on one of these machines? i bought this machine last march and will use it heavily this winter. it did not come with an owner's manual or any paperwork. it is fan-cooled, direct-drive, and has two cylinders if that helps...i doubt these options play into it, but it has electric start, but no reverse.

thanks in advance for any help.

If it is in fact a 1990 Indy Trail Deluxe it will have a 488 engine and a chaincase on the right side.

BTW.. there should be a sticker on the right side of the engine. It will have a number like EC50 which denotes the 488 fan.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

As Doug says it is a 488.

I have one and the 90' deluxe has a 2 up seat, mirriors, reverese, and elec. start. It also has a long track, I believe it is a 131-133" track, correct me if wrong on that.

Heck of a machine, cant kill it.

thanks for the input, i will look for the sticker on the side of the engine.

now i feel really stupid. the machine is definitely fan-cooled, direct-drive, 2-cyl, electric start, 2-up seat, no reverse, no mirrors...how do i determine the year of the machine? will one of the #'s in the VIN tell me the year? the machine has never been registered, so again no paperwork.

sorry i am so clueless. the machine looks really good, starts and runs really well, and the odomoter shows less than 1K miles, which are all the reasons why i bought it.

No need to register, keep your machine free!

To determine age, get on your knees next to the right side of the tunnel (as you sit on it). You'll see numbers stamped into the aluminum, the date of manufacture will be there.

These are not direct drive. You have the primary clutch driving the secondary which sits on the jackshaft. On the other end of the jackshaft you'll see the disc brake. The end of the jackshaft is inside the chaincase. There will be a small sprocket on top, and a big sprocket on the bottom. They are connected by what looks like a timing chain. Check the fluid level and tightness of the chain. Owner's manuals are available from Polaris and off eBay for a song, so no reason not to read up. Those are bombproof machines that with proper maintenance will last forever.

The odometers aren't like those on cars, they can be turned back.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

okay, i checked the year printed on the sticker that is on the right side of the tunnel and the machine is indeed a 1990, but i swear to you it is a direct-drive machine, so no chain. i own 3 other machines that are chain-driven, but this one isn't.

I could not find an engine code anywhere on the engine except for a series of about 6 numbers. I found an article on-line about the "star" version of 1990 Polaris that would have come with a direct-drive 340, but did Polaris put 340's in some of the Indy Trail Deluxes that year instead of 488's? i am stumped.

i plan to buy a repair manual on-line, so maybe it will offer some answers to my questions.

if anyone has any other answers, feel free to offer them up.

thanks all.

My family has a couple direct drive Stars and Indy Lites. They are a smaller chasis than the Trail. Take a picture of it and the engine and we will help you figure it out.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

x2 lets check out some pics, if its a 1990 indy trail deluxe it should have a 488 and chaincase, but maybe that's not what it is

i found this info on the web-The last production year for the Polaris Direct Drive snowmobile was 1990. The direct drive models that year were Sprint, Star and StarTrak.

dunno how accurate that^ info is but sounds about right

The only year Polaris put something other than a 488 in their INDY Trail Deluxes was in 1993. I bought one new with a 432 cc and put 24K miles on it in the Bush but put in another motor last winter. The used motor had 5K on it according to the eBay sale. I rebuilt the carbs at 11,000 and put one new clutch on it. It was used for trapping, hauling wood and going on the river to different villages. My 17 YO wil use it this year.
    Wherever you go ....there you are.

Exclamation Thanks

all, i appreciate your input. I'll get some photos, but the machine is inside my enclosed trailer so the photos of only the engine will be good, not the rest of the machine. i'll be outside of AK next week, but i'll get it done and post them up as soon as i return. it seems the engine should be a 488cc, but the apparent direct-drive has me stumped. thanks again for trying to help me figure this out. cheers

Could it be a different cowling? I saw a guy with 340 hood on a 500 rmk in the bush, not sure how it fit but some folks gave him funny looks when he whipped buy on a hot 340.

Quote Originally Posted by yukontools View Post
    The only year Polaris put something other than a 488 in their INDY Trail Deluxes was in 1993. I bought one new with a 432 cc and put 24K miles on it in the Bush but put in another motor last winter. The used motor had 5K on it according to the eBay sale. I rebuilt the carbs at 11,000 and put one new clutch on it. It was used for trapping, hauling wood and going on the river to different villages. My 17 YO wil use it this year.
    Am I reading this right? You put 24,000 miles on that Polaris Motor? If that's true, which I'm not doubting you, that's amazing. I will quit griping that my machines have 3,000 miles and 5,000 miles on them.

Default Pictures of my machine!

sorry it took so long to post photos, but i did some traveling for work and then pleasure, then was too lazy to get my machine out of the trailer for decent photos. finally went ice fishing with it yesterday. Can anyone tell me what engine this is? Note the lack of a chain case...i will attach a photo of the overall machine next.

Picture 205.jpgPicture 206.jpg

Default pics of the machine

Okay, that is a 488cc motor, the brake is mounted on the chaincase.

http://www.polarisman.com/site/Displ...LDLX&Year=1990
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

I love the old Indies! I have two and find them to be so much classier looking than todays machines (though harder on my older body to ride!).
    Your Indy Trail Deluxe is a true "Cadillac". Keep it in good shape as it may be worth something down the line... or just use the heck out of it and enjoy it.

Thanks for confirming my "new" machine has a 488 and not a 340 as I was told by the seller. If the chaincase is below the brake, then the case must be "sealed" and not have a dipstick like my other machines...can I open the case, drain it, and refill it or is it a complete pain in the butt?

Also, I ran this machine in the dark during my ice fishing trip Saturday and discovered the headlight is really dim, is there a voltage regulator or something I should change? The headlight does brighten a little when it is throttled, but it is still waaaay too dim...I checked the headlight bulb, it is an "H4" and looks new.

sorry for all the questions, i obviously need to order the repair manual on CD for Christmas!

Oh, and Sayak, I really like this machine. The odometer turned 900 miles Saturday, and I paid $800 for it so I think I did okay on the deal.

Look down under the brake assembly there should be a fill plug ,don't think that it has a dip stick?

Thumbs up

thanks for the link, nitroman. it turns out my machine is a 1991 instead of a 1990: http://www.polarisman.com/site/Displ...LDLX&Year=1991

given the dim headlight, i think i'll find the alternator and check it.

i will also look for a fill plug on the chaincase beneath the brake...Sure would be nice if it had a dipstick.

if anyone else has input i am open to it, thanks all!

You have an magneto not an alternator and the voltage regulator is located under the pull rope its 2 inch x 2 inch x inch with a single wire coming out of it. Are the lights on only when the engine is running? Can you measure the battery voltage with the engine running 2k + rpms? It will help to understand what your problem is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast