Thread: Gwp pup

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default Gwp pup

Recieved my Gwp pup from castle rock wa, any thing I should know before I start raising my pup? We are still in ANC waiting for weather to improve on kodiak before we head down.
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Have Fun! By far the most important thing.

A common question is; "when do I start training"? Today. Right now. And never stop until the dog is gone.

Be a hard-ass now and you can soften up later (I know it's hard!).

Just be consistent and communicate clearly what you want the dog to do. Remember, have fun!

Any specific questions? Others may be able to offer more help if you narrow the focus.

Quote Originally Posted by tailwind View Post
    Have Fun! By far the most important thing.

A common question is; "when do I start training"? Today. Right now. And never stop until the dog is gone.

Be a hard-ass now and you can soften up later (I know it's hard!).

Just be consistent and communicate clearly what you want the dog to do. Remember, have fun!

Any specific questions? Others may be able to offer more help if you narrow the focus.
    He is so calm and smart! He is learning to heel and so far has retrieved every time. I've had him for only 2 day but he is so observant. I want to just let him run and play but think I need to get him to heel better.
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Read Gun Dog and Water Dog. Wolters lays it out for you from young pup to completion of training (really never happens I do not think) It is a great read I bet you will find yourself not being able to put it down. Lots of training advice out there but Wolters approach seems to be the base that most use today. Have fun and remember -- it is ok for them to play and have fun afterall he/she is still a pup.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose&Duck_Hunter View Post
    Read Gun Dog and Water Dog. Wolters lays it out for you from young pup to completion of training (really never happens I do not think) It is a great read I bet you will find yourself not being able to put it down. Lots of training advice out there but Wolters approach seems to be the base that most use today. Have fun and remember -- it is ok for them to play and have fun afterall he/she is still a pup.
    I have Hey pup fetch it up and will brush up, plus a couple of DVDs waiting at home in the post office, thanks. Is it ok for pup to sleep in car in garage? Can I bring him in stores? He sleeps at my sisters place at night but hangs with me durning the day we drive around and walk some parks every so often, can't wait to get home.
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Dang!!!!!!! I'm green with envy,, I sure need a pup but I'm just gonna wait till my old shorthair can't hunt anymore at all.
    Post some pics when you get a chance,,Good luck and enjoy..

I am by no means an expert but socialization is key to him being a good dog. i did not do a good job with my girl up front and paid the price once I started. Once again Wolters book talks about taking the dog everywhere-- get him all the experience you can so nothing phases him later in life. Mine is much better now and loves to go and experience new things now -- not so much when I first started about the 9-10 month old mark. She was shy of new things. As far as where they sleep i am sure that more experience will weigh in here. Our little girl is kennel trained -- did that first.. but now she sleeps on a bed in our room at night.. but in the event we are gone the kids can have her in the kennel. I suggest kennel training him right off. Also made it easier to house break. Just an idea for house breaking. We bought a door knob toy with a bell at the end. Every time we took her out we rang the bell first then praised her when she did her business. Slowly transitioned to making her ring it and now she rings it whenever she wants out.... ONLY PROBLEM .. not always does she need to potty sometimes just wants out but that is ok we have learned when she needs to and when she does not -- never an accident in the house after she got the hang of it.

Finally--- go by the Barnes and Noble downtown while you wait, they have several good books and also sell the Wolters books. Sportsman Warehouse allows them on a leash. Post some pics we are all anxious to she the pup.

Default Max made it home

Max and I boated 68 nautical miles in 12 foot seas with gusts to 30, he stayed in the kennel for the 4 1/2 hour ride. I did let him out to feed and water him in the calm waters near Old Harbor to give some positive to the long ride.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Default socializing

Best things to socialize pup is kids and other dogs. If pup can put up with young kids, they can put up with anything.

Good luck
    "Next time you feel important, try telling someone elses Chesapeake to do something"-- anonymous

Lots of resources out there out there, sounds like you are checking those out.
    George Hickox is a good one, he trains both pointing dogs and retrievers.
    Joan bailey is good author...
    Chuck Johnson has a book about training versatile dogs and he owns wire haired pointers. I have it but haven't read it yet...it is in second edition so I expect it to be decent.
    Jim Dobbs retriever training is good to help learn about e-collars.....
    Just a few
    Lots of fun time in the field is good for the your pups...if you can get him on wild birds you are ahead of the game.

Enjoy the little fur ball!