Thread: Target stand ideas...

Question Target stand ideas...

I've got five of these 8" AR500 steel targets that fit on a 2x4. I also have five pieces of 4x2 square tube cut into 5" lengths. I was wanting to get some bases made that allow me to transport these targets to and from the range. They dont have to be pretty, just stable and hopefully last a few years. Anybody have any ideas or know anyone that might be interested in doing some welding?

Steel_Challenge.jpg

IMG_0368.jpg

The club I belong to has stands for the hand gun ranges made out of angle iron for the legs and cross piece. Welded to the spots the legs and cross piece meet is an upright piece of channel iron on each end. We supply our own 1X2 wood uprights to put our targets on. I'd think you could modify the general idea to use your 2X4 upright, with a single channel iron in the middle.Sorry, I'm not a photo posting person.

Quote Originally Posted by AK-Bandit View Post
    I've got five of these 8" AR500 steel targets that fit on a 2x4. I also have five pieces of 4x2 square tube cut into 5" lengths. I was wanting to get some bases made that allow me to transport these targets to and from the range. They dont have to be pretty, just stable and hopefully last a few years. Anybody have any ideas or know anyone that might be interested in doing some welding?

Steel_Challenge.jpg

IMG_0368.jpg
    If you want to bring them to the valley I'd be happy to squirt some wire for you, I am barley off church road
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

You could make some folding stands. I made a folding stand from 2x4 since I shoot a great deal during the winter and I needed the stand to fold into a compact unit to fit in a sled.

It is made like a "U" with the smaller "U" that fits inside. I used aluminum plate to reinforce the end of the wood to keep it from splitting, drilled holes for the bolts to pivot, and additional holes for the bolts to keep it from folding. I will take photos later today.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Thanks for the ideas guys. I'm a little hesitant about making it out of wood because I'm not sure how well it will hold up to the lead spray when it hits the steel. Do you have a picture of your stand Nitroman?
    If I end up making them out of steel, I might hit you up ironartist.

Quote Originally Posted by AK-Bandit View Post
    Thanks for the ideas guys. I'm a little hesitant about making it out of wood because I'm not sure how well it will hold up to the lead spray when it hits the steel. Do you have a picture of your stand Nitroman?
    If I end up making them out of steel, I might hit you up ironartist.
    The thing is in the back of my truck, just need to take the pic.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...