Thread: sheep help

Default sheep help

Well I guess that my first thread was alittle much, so let me try again. After watching a number of videos on sheep hunting & reading storys on here. I have been slowly getting my gear together for a sheep hunt next year, I will not have been up here a full year till march so the draws are out . So far i have a remington 30-06, a pair of bushnell 10-42 binos,my old army pack(for the moment, would like to get something better),a MSR tent, +20 deg bag.So if any could help me with my gear list/add on's. a buddy from work has talked about different areas that we could try to reach & yes one of them is the brooks. have any of you had succes with a canoe? thanx

Default Draw applications

Ridgetop,

I was in the same boat as you coming into this season. I unintentionally got into the State just after the 1st of August in 2010. I thought I would be ineligible for draw tags for this 2011/2012 season. Well, I called around and was informed that I could indeed apply for the draw tags (including the Tier I caribou hunt) as long as I had been in Alaska for 12 months prior to the hunt.

You will have to buy a nonresident license to be eligible at the time of the draw. When it gets to March and you've been here 12 months you simply write "Established Residency" on your license. I was checked by Trooper Simeon on the Denali Hwy last week and everything was in order (including SIGNING THE BACK OF YOUR HARVEST TICKET!!!). As far as applying for the draws, ask about how to circumvent the resident/non-resident option online because if you report that you are a non-resident (because you are at the time of applying) it won't let you continue even though you legally are eligible. So maybe making your commitments early and sending in a paper application after an ADFG consult might be your best/safest bet.

Enjoy!! BTW, small game stays open into parts of spring up here, it's AWESOME!!!
    Go Big Red!

Like Stid said BOOTS, tent, sleeping bag, stove and PG13 is correct about the draws.

Sleeping bag is #1 and rain gear! You can wear tennis shoes and shorts, and use a tarp for a tent. If you can't keep your clothes dry and have a warm bag to crawl into, bad things may happen!

Sheep aren't the easiest animals to judge. I suggest finding someone with a few hunts under their belt and doing several hikes now through next season in areas close to anchorage (draw only areas). The more sheep you look at now the better off you will be when the time comes. Full curl is sometimes hard to figure out when you throw in different angles and not so perfect glassing conditions.

Outhike the next guy and good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by PG13 View Post
    So maybe making your commitments early and sending in a paper application after an ADFG consult might be your best/safest bet.
    A quick note on the draw applications - I'm fairly certain that F&G is going to online applications only this year. If not this year, then it's coming next year...but if memory serves there will not be paper applications available this year.

Thanks for all the input guys