Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recomendations for a pop up tent

Default Recomendations for a pop up tent

Looking for a pop-up ice tent, nothing too fancy just something that's easy to set up and get out of the weather. I see they go anywhere from a couple of hundred to several hundred.

The eskimo quick fish shelters are pretty hard to beat for ease of set up and room. That being said they will have to be ancored somehow if there is wind. Frabill makes some good shelters as well. Checkout sportsmans in wasilla or where ever they have them set up and you can see for your self.

Default Quickfish Series

The Quickfish and Fat Fish series is pretty good and easy to set up and comes with the anchors and tie downs. Check out the Eskimo website.

I love my quickfish sometimes you just have to get creative for your tie downs!!!!!!Attachment 54492

Well if you want cheap, light and disposable, you can use a cardboard stove or washing machine box. If your in wet conditions, treat the box with a can of Camp Dry or other Spray Water Repellant. Cut your fishing hole out, pull the box over the top of you and you have a wind break that will stay dark so you can see well under the ice in daylight conditions and when your done, just burn it. You can sit on a flap and have the hole between your legs or you can sit on a milk crate which can be placed on one flap of the top to hold it down. Keep your back to the wind and sit on that flap. I used many of these as a kid growing up. Probably not what you were looking for, but in a pinch or in a light weight restrictive outing, this is system works great to keep you dry and warm.

Another vote here for the Eskimo Quick Fish series. I've got the QF 3 and love it. Plenty of room for me and my dogs. I use an old electric drill to punch good starters holes for my anchors.

I have both the Quick Fish 6 and the Quick Fish 4 and love them both. Easy to set up and take down and they dry overnight if you set them up in your shop or garage after fishing. The Quick Fish 4 has a vapor barrier on the inside top and it cuts down on the condensation if you are using propane heat. I broke all the windows last year on the 4 as I set it up in -30 and they are just not that flexible. As easy fix since all the windows are attached with velcro. I have used the 6 for two winters now and it has held up real well. I do not think you would be disappointed with the Eskimo brand of pop-up shelters. http://www.geteskimo.com/

love the quickfish 6, wouldnt buy a different brand....

Release Lake Trout

I love my quickfish 3 little small if you fish more than 2 people with a heater buy it comes with a back carry case and ice anchors I also have a frabill flip over sled that is nice has a bench seat which is more comfy an a little more sturdy

Quickfish for sure. I'm on my second season with mine and other than a few home repair jobs for minor stuff it works just fine. Setting up inside afterwards is a must though. Let it dry completely. and don't worry about trying to get it back in the bag when you leave the ice. just fold it in and go. I believe Sportsmans is selling the 3 for $199 and the new fat fish for $209? Take a look...

I have had a quick fish 3 for 3 years and going on the second season with a quick fish 6 and I have yet to have a complaint. They are extremely easy to set up and take down. Sportsman's warehouse have a few models up that you can take a look at and even get in. I won't use anything else.

You can't go wrong with a quikfish. Absolute most bang for the buck! Trustworthy Hardware (Soldotna) has them cheaper than about anyone, I believe the QF3 is priced at $139 right now. I have a QF4 because I'm 6'7" and love it!

Sportsmans has them on sale today too! $139.00 for the 767 I think it is(like a Quickfish 3). If your near Soldotna I'd go w/ the truevalue guys, they are local and an awesome group of folks there.
    I have a Qhickfish 3 and have decent room for my wife, 2 dogs and I and heat it up w/ a little Mr Buddy.

Great price on the FF 767, which is on my wish list (the FF-767 is roughly the same size as the QF-3). Think that sale will hold out through next week? Last time I was in SW they didn't have any 767, but only a pile of the 949 model, which is just way too big for what I do. Most of my ice trips are solo, though I sometimes get the wife to tag along, so I've been using the QF-2 for the last few years. Super small and light weight, but that one is certainly maxed out at 2 people as long as they know each other well and no one had chilli for lunch. It will fish 2 (no fat guys) and leave room for a heater and a tackle box, but it's most comfortable on those solo trips.

These new Fat Fish models though... that's the cat's meow. A great upgrade to the QF style. If they've still got some 767's in stock next week, I'll be having one, sale or not.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

My only complaint with the Eskimo shelter is that is made in China. Other than that, these shelters can't be beat.

10-4 on China sayak. I stopped in Cumberland Wisconsin this fall when I traveled through there in my motorhome. That is where the Artisan factory used to be that manufactured the Quickfish line. Now it is a warehouse and office headquarters. I bought 16 windows for the QF 3 as my friends and I all broke ours last year fishing in some minus 48 degree temps for two days. The windows are $8 each there but shipping to Alaska was a killer so I went to the headquarters and bought them with no shipping as I was traveling through there anyway. I still have some if anyone in Fairbanks needs some.

Sportsman's Warehouse in Wasilla was selling the Quickfish 3 for $149 as of two days ago, if I recall correctly. Another QF size was on sale too I think. I'm not sure if they have the Sportsman's Warehouse logo on them which I would find annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by DrZaius View Post
    Sportsman's Warehouse in Wasilla was selling the Quickfish 3 for $149 as of two days ago, if I recall correctly. Another QF size was on sale too I think. I'm not sure if they have the Sportsman's Warehouse logo on them which I would find annoying.
    I bought a QF3 about three years ago with the SW logo because they ALL had them. Seems like all the QF they had there had the logos. I bought a QF 6 last year and without the logos. I haven't seen any QF with logos for quite some time.

thx for all the info, i just went out to sportsman warehouse in anchorage and picked up a quickfish 3, its real easy to popup. perfect for two people and a kid. plus it was on sale for 169.99

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast