Thread: Canyon Lake

Default Canyon Lake

Has anyone flown out to Canyon Lake recently?

Probably not. We are in that time of year where everyone is coming off of floats since the lakes are starting to freeze, but not frozen yet to use on skis. Also, weather has been crap for over a week or more now.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Thanks I figured that no one is flying now but the reason I am asking is that I have just purchased property out there. It seems
    that it is a nuclear waist dump or something as I have not seen any posts or info anywhere on hunting or fishing there. It looks
    like a great spot for both. I sent an e-mail to a guy that runs a hunting/fishing lodge there but had no response. The one float
    plane pilot I spoke to in Talkeetna had never even heard of it. Just wondering that what appears to be a great area is never
    mentioned. I will not fly out until May or so. Just wanted to contact someone who knows thw area. Thanks again

You are going to find that it's it a little too far south and west for the float plane opperators out of Talkeetna. They mainly head north from us. I've been out in that country a couple times in winter and to Shell Lake once in the summer. It seems nice enough. Lots of cabins in the Shell Lake area, but not so many that it's crowded. That's probably why you don't see many posts about the area. Lots of private property on the lakes so it's not exactly a hot spot to travel to for fly-in hunting.

Be aware that there are at least two Canyon Lakes in Alaska. One is WAY out west north of Dillingham and that's where Canyon Lake Lodge is. The other is the Canyon Lake Subdivision (that's the one I am refering to in the post above)Your best bet for flights to there is either out of Willow or Anchorage.

Canyon Lake Subdivision area can be looked at on Google earth at these coordinates 6153'45.63"N , 15136'52.05"W The lake is 3000' long and there is a decent sized landing strip to the east of it. I have no clue if the strip is on public or private land.

Thanks that is starting to make sense now. I am in the subdivision and have veiwed the google pictures. It just looked like Talkeetna
    was closer as the bird flies

Tabmarine,

Did you get lakefront on Canyon lake or just out in the area? What will you fly out there? Hired or do you have a plane tucked away here? I know several property owners around there and one was supposed to go out last week but he didn't make it. Getting close to ski season again and I will be out several times this winter. Plenty of bear around there but the moose numbers seem to be low or at least I have just not seen many.

AAAAHHHHHHHH.......Thanks for the reply. I have 9.5 acres in the west side of the subdivision lots 7&8 its 1/4 mile walk to the
    Skwenta River and a 1/4 mile walk to the lake. I do not have a plane and would be hiring. I wanted to touch base with somebody who knows the area to see the best guy to hire and see how the hunting/ fishing is. Also would love to talk to the locals about thier experiences out there. I plan to build a cabin on the property and talking to someone who has "been there" would be very helpful.

Cool spot. I love it out there. I would think Willow air could get you out there and they have a beaver if you need to haul some supplies. I'll check with my buddy and see if he will chat with you about the area. I'll PM you with his number if he has time to visit.

It appears from the borough website and Google earth is that the strip east of the lake is public property.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    It appears from the borough website and Google earth is that the strip east of the lake is public property.
    I think that the one by the river is public but the short one in between the long one and the lake is private. I could be wrong though.

That's right, the big one I believe is public, but the lots to either side of it are private. I was looking at a lot in this subd. a few years ago. Here's a nice link from the MatSu borough MyProperty section http://gis.matsugov.us/parcelslite/v...&QueryZoom=Yes I think tract 1 is that airstrip and it was set aside in the original subdivision as an airstrip.

I was told that the strip closet to the "finger" of the lake was a state/public strip but also saw somewhere that it is not mantained. If any of you guys are pilots and can get me out there next May ( I was thinking a good time to survey the property before foilage got to thick)
    for one day( AM drop off,Pm pick up) Please let me know. Thanks to all of you for your help.

Oh ok cool!!! That's the one my buddy has a cabin on. He is trying to sell 20 acres on the back of that strip and I have been very tempted. Such a nice getaway back there.

PM headed your way. I'm sure we can get you out there but not sure about getting you back;-)) HA HA HA. I'll PM you my friends number and you can chat with him about the local information. I have not landed on the shorter strip but I have been on the longer one. That would be a bit of an extra hike from the long strip. Best thing is to get in there on floats. If I understand where you are based on the link from AKDoug, I think you are in between the top of the lake and the river but there are a couple different 7,8 lots so I'm not sure?

Thats great! Thanks for your help. You are corrcct about the location. Where would you fly out of and How much would it cost me
    a bag of Florida Oranges or so.....

No problem! The contact that I sent you yesterday knows all the float guys around there, Might be able to get an empty seat with one of them. Ask him about that when you chat. Short of that, Willow air might be the closest. When talking 180/185 floatplanes, the cost would be very close for anyone working out of lake hood but I can't make any knowledgeable recommendations on flying services since I have always paid myself;-) I know another guy who bought my last float plane that would be willing to take you out if he is in town when you arrive. Best thing is to check in as it gets closer to making your plans. Who knows, I might be on floats next year and I'll take you myself. Keep in mind that the breakup is a few weeks behind the Anchorage area lakes.

Thanks for the info. The ice would be the issue. I would hate to get out there only to circle and go back because of too much
    ice. I would think that it would be benificial to the residents out there to work a float plane carpool....

IMG_1958, land marked.jpg

Here is a picture showing the location of my property

As of today your property looks a little different. Lake is froze over but the river is still running. Big grizz tracks all over on the river by the strip thats on the river. I flew around for a minute looking for him but no find. Still a ways away from being able to land on the lake ice.

Quote Originally Posted by roamak View Post
    As of today your property looks a little different. Lake is froze over but the river is still running. Big grizz tracks all over on the river by the strip thats on the river. I flew around for a minute looking for him but no find. Still a ways away from being able to land on the lake ice.
    Thanks for the report. The one consistant things I keep hearing is Bears, Bears, Bears.