Thread: Pacer Gear

Default Pacer Gear

I've heard a couple watch outs when running ski's on a pacer. While driving around airports there seems to be a lot of different beef ups to add to the gear. How big of a worry is pacer gear when running ski's? Are there similar concerns when running big tires? Any thoughts? Advice? Thanks!

Yes the gear is a bit weak. There are a few diferent things you can do from adding some cross braces under the cabin area and putting on super cub gear to some fairly simple weld on braceing. Take a look at Eddie trimmers web site ( I think he has one) or call him at the willlow airport where he has his business. I had a forced landing in muskeg with a stock gear and small tires and the gear came off as soon as it touched the ground. The tires sunk and the frame longerrons tore out and folded back. A common story for Pacers. BTW when the longerron comes appart the wing struts are attached to it right there and the wings get this cool swept wing look like a Harrier! But all in all the Pacer does crash pretty well if thats any consolation.

Do you think it would have been the same result if you had cub gear? I called Trimmer Aviation and it sounds cost prohibitive to add cub gear to a flying aircraft.

I think it would be worth it if you could do the work yourself, if not no. there is a mod that stiffen's the gear with a small brace welded between the gear legs. just drive around Merrill or lake Hood and you will se it, as it very popular. I think the big problem was the 6.00x6 tires. I was flying up from OR where I had just bought it 5 days before. They sunk in the muskegas soon as they had some weight on them. I now have 29" Gar Aero's on my 180 and will never go back. If I were to do this to a Pacer I would have that brace installed to stiffen the gear. My first Pacer I did beach landings with 8.00's and stock gear with no problems but any bigger tires would change the deal. You might also check around for priceing as it could be done by cutting the fabric doing the welding and patching it back together instead of a complete recover. just some thoughs. The gear seems to be a weak point in the plane, but a lot depends where you are going to fly, I never did anything much more than beaches and gravel runways with it.

Thanks, for the info. Even doing the cutting and patching to install the Trimmer mod appears to be pretty involved and probably worth the money to have a knowledgeable and skilled person install it (i'm handy with fabric, but no welder). I have seen a variety of gear mods around and the more people I talk to the less concerned about the gear I have become.