Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pure Bred Silver Lab Puppies

Default Pure Bred Silver Lab Puppies

These dogs have great disposition. I have already started training them with fetching and following me around. 4 weeks old. 748-1116

What are you asking for them? AKC certified? Vision and hip certs?

Kink Alaska surrounded by sled dog kennels, a fabulous view and lots of hunting.

What is a silver lab?

Quote Originally Posted by Linda View Post
    What is a silver lab?
    A lab that is silver.

"When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

Quote Originally Posted by jcsnoball View Post
    The only labs recognized by akc are black, chocolate, and yellow.

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

The AKC registers silver labs as chocolates.
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

isn't that a faulty gene?
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Silver Labs evolved as the product of recessive gene combination from chocolate Labs. Breeding has proven the silver color to be a replicable genetic trait with silver/silver breedings producing litters of all Silver pups.

Quote Originally Posted by tailwind View Post
    A lab that is silver.

Thats a dang cute puppy is what that is!

The AKC registers silver labs as chocolates.

Not according to this....

From this page; Color
    The Labrador Retriever coat colors are black, yellow and chocolate. Any other color or a combination of colors is a disqualification.

http://www.akc.org/breeds/labrador_retriever/

I agree with tailwind.... Beautiful pup!

Quote Originally Posted by akiceman25 View Post

From this page; Color
    The Labrador Retriever coat colors are black, yellow and chocolate. Any other color or a combination of colors is a disqualification.

It's a recessive gene from chocolate dogs. Technically, they're chocolate. It's just another example of people breeding dogs for the wrong reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by jcsnoball View Post
    The important question has not been answered, hips, eyes, elbows cleared/certified?

To the best of my knowledge, silver labs originated from kennels that bred both Labradors and weimeraners. Quite the coincidence that silver labs turned out looking eerily similar to both breeds of dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by lab man View Post
    To the best of my knowledge, silver labs originated from kennels that bred both Labradors and weimeraners. Quite the coincidence that silver labs turned out looking eerily similar to both breeds of dogs.
    Then, they figured out the only way to keep this trait was by inbreeding.

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by lab man View Post
    Silver Labs evolved as the product of recessive gene combination from chocolate Labs. Breeding has proven the silver color to be a replicable genetic trait with silver/silver breedings producing litters of all Silver pups.

Puppies from labrador/weimeraner stock do exsist and are sometimes misrepresented as silver ladradors. They are not pure bred labradors.

Of course this is all debatable and yukon hit the nail on the head, it would be better to know about the hip/eye certification.

Puppies from labrador/weimeraner stock do exsist and are sometimes misrepresented as silver ladradors. They are not pure bred labradors.

Of course this is all debatable and yukon hit the nail on the head, it would be better to know about the hip/eye certification.

Agreed. I wouldn't buy a dog JUST for color, regardless. I'm only going to buy from someone who is trying to improve the breed through their breeding. However, if I WAS interested in a litter and the breeder wouldn't tell me about OFA/CERF/EIC, etc., I'd add them to the list of breeders never to speak with again.

Yeah, the silver debate aside, it does seem odd that the OP hasn't jumped in here to offer some insight on the certifications but it looks like these puppies are about 12 weeks old today and it is quite possible that they have all found homes by now. Either way good luck to the new owners it should be an eventful new year for you!

Quote Originally Posted by akiceman25 View Post

From this page; Color

Well I am with both of you on it's a good looking pup, but I will also add that if the odd color disqualifys it from showing them then it's a fualty gene somone thought they could make a specialty, sounds like it's not bettering the genetics of the animal but trying to draw out the faults. Thats not really good in my book what else could they be doing wrong breeding these dogs? I will take my oladys word on animals I call her ms.pet she is third gen groomer and her pop owned a few large pet stores in the bay area as she was growing up. If any one has a fu fu dog needs special attention her store front is on the p.w. by the go carts called Bark-N-Purr
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Yeah, the silver debate aside, it does seem odd that the OP hasn't jumped in here to offer some insight on the certifications but it looks like these puppies are about 12 weeks old today and it is quite possible that they have all found homes by now. Either way good luck to the new owners it should be an eventful new year for you!

Eventful year, yes. Without clearances, it COULD be an eventful life! Here's hoping the pups are healthy and don't chew TOO much stuff!

Somebody help me out here as it has been a long time since HS science or College biology classes. In labradors, black is dominant, and there are 2 recessive genes, yellow and chocolate. I'm wondering how a recessive chocolate gene can have a recessive silver gene? And if silver is in fact recessive to chocolate, is it recessive to black and yellow too?
    Or is it more likely that the silver trait was bred in from some other source, making it not recessive at all? I'm ok following an articulate discussion on genetics, so again, somebody start and I'll just follow along. Don't be afraid to add in links to support your position. I shouldn't have to say this, but will. Sources must be recognized as being from an authority, not a breeder.
    Interesting that in the history of the Labrador, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labrador_Retriever starting back w/ the St. Johns Water Dog, yellow and chocolate dogs are mentioned (though mostly culled until later) but never was a silver trait brought to light that I ever found. That is until about 1987 when somebody petitioned the AKC to accept silver and the AKC responded http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/labradorakcsilver.htm
    It would be moderately interesting to see whose name or names comes up from the mid 80s push to accept the anomoly. Wonder if those records are available from AKC? Hmm. This might have all been different if genetic testing was more prevalent at the time. Things have changed since then. Too bad.
    Keep in mind that the labrador has been one of if not the top dog in England, Canada, and America for a long time. One more thing to think about as we wonder why it took well over 100 years for a silver to raise its head, and how it happened here and not where rules and breeding seems to be more stringent.
    ARR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast