Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In memory of Mark Hufford

Default In memory of Mark Hufford

I'll try to keep this short but just wanted to say that I had one of the best hunts to date last weekend. As some of you know, I lost my very best friend Mark Hufford last January. He fell out of my bear stand 18 years ago and severed his spinal cord. He was very well known and seen often on the bike trail along the Glenn hwy training for the Midnight Sun race that took place every summer. It is a bike race from Fairbanks to Anchorage. Mark was a true athlete. Well last Nov I helped him apply for the caribou hunt. Even know he was paralyzed from the waist down, he has come with me several times in years past to hunt caribou via snowmachine's. But this year was going to be his year. Well he didn't make it but when his tag came in the mail, his dad went to the state and they let him hunt off of Marks tag. Marks dad Gary, is 70 but while spending time with him this weekend, it seemed like I was hanging with my old buddy Mark. I won't go into some of the moments we shared but will say they were very special to me. It was an honor to help Gary harvest Marks caribou. We seen zero animals on Sat but truely feel Mark was looking down on us Sunday and kicked them caribou in the *** as we seen OVER a hundred and had a beautiful hunt...

More pics..

Pic of my friend Rob and his boy with his son's caribou and Gary's caribou..

Me and Gary..

Great story. Mark lived right down the street from me. I used to watch him hand crank up the hill then haul ***** back down several times a day. Sad to see him go. Congrats on the hunt.

From one Hunter to another, thanks for sharing the story and the great pics, and congrats to all..... the memories of your buddy shall be remembered forever!!!......chuck

Truly inspiring story, thanks for celebrating your friends life and helping his father.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Steve, I'm inspired also. Thank you for sharing your story.

Great story, thanks for sharing........My wife and I sponsored a young man in this years "Alaska Challenge" and I was there for the last leg, from the weigh station on the Glen to the Park in Mountain view. This I beleive is the new trail dedicated to Mark.
    It sure was cool to watch the finish, these guys are incredible athlete's, and it takes a lot of determination to accomplish the ride from Fairbanks to Anchorage.
    Sure puts things in perspective when I complain I cant do something.........
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Thanks for sharing and God bless
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Great story, congrats!
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Great to see you guys Sunday, unfortunately we were not able to find one Saturday and couldn't make it out there Sunday. But I was glad it worked out for you guys.Gary sure was stoked so congratulations.

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

When I ran into you Sunday, Gary was looking pretty happy!

Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend Steve that is never easy. Sure looks like you and Gary were able to get out and celebrate Marks life and finish one last task for him that was very nice of you and I am sure Mark is looking down on you.

I second that couldnt have said it better.

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Truly inspiring story, thanks for celebrating your friends life and helping his father.

I live just up the street from the Huffords, my wife and I exchanged greetings many times over the years with Mark, he seemed to be a friendly and happy man. Although we did not "know" Mark we were saddened by his passing. We found his dedication to his cycling passion very inspirational and looked forward to seeing him out along the roadsides during his training runs, we miss seeing him still.

Congratulations to you and Gary on what was, I am sure, an emotional and most memorable time spent in honor of Mark .

Sincerly, Respectfuly, Lawrence

Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post
    I'll try to keep this short but just wanted to say that I had one of the best hunts to date last weekend. As some of you know, I lost my very best friend Mark Hufford last January. He fell out of my bear stand 18 years ago and severed his spinal cord. He was very well known and seen often on the bike trail along the Glenn hwy training for the Midnight Sun race that took place every summer. It is a bike race from Fairbanks to Anchorage. Mark was a true athlete. Well last Nov I helped him apply for the caribou hunt. Even know he was paralyzed from the waist down, he has come with me several times in years past to hunt caribou via snowmachine's. But this year was going to be his year. Well he didn't make it but when his tag came in the mail, his dad went to the state and they let him hunt off of Marks tag. Marks dad Gary, is 70 but while spending time with him this weekend, it seemed like I was hanging with my old buddy Mark. I won't go into some of the moments we shared but will say they were very special to me. It was an honor to help Gary harvest Marks caribou. We seen zero animals on Sat but truely feel Mark was looking down on us Sunday and kicked them caribou in the *** as we seen OVER a hundred and had a beautiful hunt...
    Sorry to hear about the loss of your great friend. Thank you for sharing your story and honoring him the way you have here - top notch. Love the hunting stories, pictures of hunters with their game...but the best posts of all come from folks like you who memorialize their adventures as they relate to those closest to them. Your friend would be truly proud!
    Karma is like a rubber band; it can only stretch so far before it comes back and smacks you in the face.

Thank You for the inspiring story. Sorry for your loss.

Steve, sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. Thanks for sharing your story!

I didn't know Mark but am reminded of him daily by the sign right near my street commemorating his namesake trail in Eagle River. My sister knew him and spoke highly of the man, as do all that knew him in my experience. How very cool that you were privileged to take part in this bit of his story. Thank you for sharing this, Steve, and thank you for taking the time and effort to make this hunt happen. Hats off to you, sir.

Sorry for your loss, after reading everyones comments it seems like Mark was a great guy and never let his disability get in the way of living life.. cheers to Mark

Very nice tribute - RIP Mark....
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast