Thread: Help Identifying Tundra Wildflower

Default Help Identifying Tundra Wildflower

I'm hoping this is the appropriate forum for this post; it was the only one that seemed fit.

This summer I came across a wildflower that looks very similar to the one posted below. I got this picture from an Alaskan photography site, but they couldn't identify it either. I have one dried and preserved and was debating sending it in to UAA's biology program, but thought a fellow Alaskan may be able to help me.

It stands about a foot tall and grows on wet ground. The stem is thin, straight, and green. About three quarters of the way up the stem before you reach the flower, four leaves come out at a horizontal angle exactly 90 degrees apart from one another. They have a greenish color, but can sometimes have a purplish tint. The flower itself has randomly spaced pink buds that form a sphere. They bloom into individual white flowers usually within 24 hours of one another. Most of the time they will all flower and die at the same time (late June to early July). They seem to be very rare and don't grow in clusters. Sometimes there are two or three in one area, but usually they are not that dense. I find them growing on the outside of alder and willow timbers and sometimes on the side of well-drained tundra hills. Any insight into what exactly this flower could be? I've done tens of hours of researched and found absolutely nothing.
    Lone Alaskan Gypsy
    Lover of arctic fox and northern lights.
    Reader of arctic runes. Alaskan storyteller. Handcrafted trinket trader. Grower of organic plants.
    Find me online at www.lonealaskangypsy.com and at fairs, markets, and festivals around AK.

Sounds like you're describing a valerian species.

Check out this book: isbn 0882403699. It's handy.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Contact Verna Pratt at Alaska Native Plant Society if anyone can tell you what it is she can. Good Luck

Thank you so much to both of you for your help. I will be looking for the book and getting contact information for Ms. Pratt. I will let you know what I can find out.
    Lone Alaskan Gypsy
    Lover of arctic fox and northern lights.
    Reader of arctic runes. Alaskan storyteller. Handcrafted trinket trader. Grower of organic plants.
    Find me online at www.lonealaskangypsy.com and at fairs, markets, and festivals around AK.

Default is it this?

I believe it is a valerian

"early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"