Thread: Bullet difference

Default Bullet difference

Hello all,

I have recently started reloading and am slightly overwhelmed by the choices in bullets. All salesmen seem to agree that the most expensive ones are the best for any situation. I will be hunting moose and brown bear with a .300wsm. My question is this..what do you guys think. Is one as good as another and if not what makes a good bullet. Thanks

Jabba

Default No No No

All bullets are not created equal. Some are designed with thin jackets and are for thin skinned game. Some are match bullets for the shooting range. There a lot of good big game bullets for non-dangerous game and you'll get a lot of suggestions on those. There a fewer still big game bullets for dangerous game (animals that bite back). But the dangerous game bullets( PREMIUM bullets) are more expensive and you'll get a lot of suggestions on those here as well. But, just make sure they shoot accurately in your rifle. My suggestion would be buy a box of 180 gr bullets by Sierra or Hornaday, and get used to your equipment before graduating to the premium type bullets. That way loading mistakes are less expensive , and yes you can pull your bullets out of your mistakes and reuse them.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Also, get your hands on a February 2007 issue of Handloader. John Barsness has an article titled, "Boutique Bullets for Big Game" in which he explains exactly what you want to know about bullets. The article is based on bullet construction of most of the bullets on the market.

It does not tell you what bullet for what game you should use, just how and why bullets are made in relation to weight retention. It's an excellent article if you want to learn about bullets.

Default Bullets

Quote Originally Posted by JabbaPDR View Post
    Hello all,

I will be hunting moose and brown bear with a .300wsm. My question is this..what do you guys think. Is one as good as another and if not what makes a good bullet. Thanks

Jabba

Jabba

No, one bullet is not as good as another. To for moose a serria game king in 180. would do fine, as long as you do not hand load over 3000 fps. But you are wanting a bullet for Moose and Brown Bear. I would go with the Barnes 180 TSX and load it as hot as you want, they will hold together and not come apart, like serria or hornaday will above 3000.

I just did some range comparisons, and sight in with my .300 win mag, and those Barnes MRX's made even my shooting look good. The desighn of this bullet will make it a top choice for the big stuff, like bears and moose. During WWII tungstun was use in AT/AP rounds because of its exelent density. When shooting animals the teriminal performance is very important, for big stuff as a gereral rule you want to go with bullets in the heaver side for you caliber. Like the .300 WSM you should find some good bullets than group well in your rifle that weight as least 180grs. Good one to start with are the barnes MRX, and TSX. Nosler partition, trophy bonded bear claw. The salesman was right the more expensive bullets are the one you want to look for. If you consider how much money you have into your equepment and the hunt is totaly dependend on the bullet meeting the animal in the right place and doing its job, this is where you should WANT to spend money. in bullets you get what you pay for, and you owe it to the animal and the people of alaska to humainly kill you animal. I surely don't want a bear running around with the fragments from a blasstic tip in his guts!!