Thread: A&P program

Default A&P program

Did anyone on this forum get their A&P while working a professional full time job? If so how did you make some of these classes work out? Such as recip engine overhaul is right smack dab in the middle of the day from like 1 to 5 which is an ***** load of vacation for just one class. Im sure there is a way to do it I am just not seeing it.

It is unfortunate they dont have programs for people that are working full time, like classes from 3:30 to 7:30 or something or on weekends. Does AVTEC or some like program like that exist in anchorage?

Ron, You can take the classes or you can challenge the test based on experience and an endorsement from another mechanic that will verify you have worked the required time as a helper and have received the proper instruction during that time. You will still need to complete the oral evaluation and a practical test before you receive your licenses. Based on your propensity to cut corners and find shortcuts to avoid the intent of the rules, I seriously doubt you will find anyone willing to do that. I am not aware of any avation training programs at AvTec at this time.

You are correct, Aviation requires allot more regulations than the automotive industry does, but that is based on the level of safety required in this industry. It's the same in the railroad industry also! Higher safety requirements equal higher levels of regulations. Thats also the reason for required drug testing. Are you aware that drug testing was a requirement?

The costs associated with aviation are not based on the wealthy or being rich, it's based on desire and avaliability. You can buy an F-150 for cheep because there are a bazillion of them out there for sale, however there are only so many C-185's avaliable. Also, your grandmother can still get a drivers license as long as she can still see, not everyone can EARN a pilots license or an A&P license. Our legel system has helped to drive the prices up as well since everyone wants to sue for anything nowdays.

I admire your desire to fly and to do it without spending an arm and a leg, but I think you are an accident waiting to happen in my opinion. I have spent the last 25+ years in the avation industry and I have never seen anyone with your mindset. I just hope that you don't injure/kill anyone else in the process. Please don't take what I am telling you as inflamatory or that I am being mean to you, I am just being honest with you and hopefully help you in the process.

Bottom line? Take the classes and do your best if you want the certificate.
    I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice, remember life is expensive and ammo is cheep!

Quote Originally Posted by Adison View Post
    Ron, You can take the classes or you can challenge the test based on experience and an endorsement from another mechanic that will verify you have worked the required time as a helper and have received the proper instruction during that time. You will still need to complete the oral evaluation and a practical test before you receive your licenses. Based on your propensity to cut corners and find shortcuts to avoid the intent of the rules, I seriously doubt you will find anyone willing to do that. I am not aware of any avation training programs at AvTec at this time.

You are correct, Aviation requires allot more regulations than the automotive industry does, but that is based on the level of safety required in this industry. It's the same in the railroad industry also! Higher safety requirements equal higher levels of regulations. Thats also the reason for required drug testing. Are you aware that drug testing was a requirement?

The costs associated with aviation are not based on the wealthy or being rich, it's based on desire and avaliability. You can buy an F-150 for cheep because there are a bazillion of them out there for sale, however there are only so many C-185's avaliable. Also, your grandmother can still get a drivers license as long as she can still see, not everyone can EARN a pilots license or an A&P license. Our legel system has helped to drive the prices up as well since everyone wants to sue for anything nowdays.

I admire your desire to fly and to do it without spending an arm and a leg, but I think you are an accident waiting to happen in my opinion. I have spent the last 25+ years in the avation industry and I have never seen anyone with your mindset. I just hope that you don't injure/kill anyone else in the process. Please don't take what I am telling you as inflamatory or that I am being mean to you, I am just being honest with you and hopefully help you in the process.

Bottom line? Take the classes and do your best if you want the certificate.
    \

I would love to take the classes but unfortunatly I think that will be impossible due to working full time with the times the classes are offered. I may start looking around for an AI that I can work under that would be willing to get me the requisite requirements and he can make some money on the side instructing me. Thats the only way I can think that it would work.

I dont want to cut corners but I dont want to sell my soul just to fly either. I think when it boils right down to it the only thing we likely disagree on is carrying insurance. If the underwriters did not have a monopoly on the market it may not be that bad but as it stands now insurance for a pitts is cost prohibitive though I will likely take the massive hit for the first year just becasue of the risks of the cross country flight and building up hours but after that I can see no need to pay 8500$ a year just to throw out the window, at that dollar amount the sting of the payments exceed the piece of mind the insurance plan buys.

People sue automakers too and you dont see outragious prices for camaros or outragious insurance for camaros that comes close to 8500$/year.

What is likely going to go down is im going to save for a pitts, fly down with my mentor get it annualed/prebuy, insure it, fly it up, hangar it and fly the heck out of it. When the annual comes due, drop the insurance fly it into the AI and cross my fingers. IF things dont go well then I have to park it until I can afford the repairs. I would love to be able to find a nice grass strip I could buy an inexpensive piece of property on to build a hangar so that im not relying on a rental hangar, kinda like moving back in with parents when your laid off lol, a place I can park it for free and let it sit, I would probably have to take the wings off and store it if worse came to worse since I dont know of any stips that are long enough to land a pitts and good grass that have affordable property. If I could land on 1800 ft I could build a hangar on my dads strip but the surface would need alot of work to land a pitts and the trees cut down on one end to make a better approach. In the mean time maybe I could work with an AI to get my A&P, thats what im hopping anyways, maybe buy a run out AEIO-540 to rebuild under supervision and so forth, heck I may even be able to build up an experemental S-1-11B to complete my A&P and only be short the composites class and aluminum skin.