Thread: Southside Report

Default Southside Report

I went south of Anchorage again today. Sunday had a few flocks and enough guns to keep them moving, but most were high flyers. Today was slower in my area and in all of the adjacent marshes. The ponds are still ice free and there are enough birds in the area to maybe make it worth the drive depending on how bad you want to hunt. I think I'm done for the year, save a quick trip to the ACWR this week.

I sat in the blind this morning hoping for a sky full of mallards but was content listening to the nearby elk bugle and watching trumpeters fly over. Work only allowed me a few precious days out with the dogs this season, but I was able to swing on enough birds flaring over the decoys to keep the spark alive for next year. I finished today with one greenhead and a big OOPS...a merganser. Of all the birds I've shot in this area I've never seen a sawbill before. Lol. Regardless, it provided entertainment for the dogs and another retrieve for my young pup.

Be happy there is one less bear in that area now also, as of a couple weeks ago. Bud
    Wasilla

Elk bugle? How far south WERE you?

Oh right. The game farm LOL.

Thanks for the report.

We went to the same area on Saturday and did some jump shooting. Usually always at least get up a few ducks. We only got up one Pin. He sure was a good sport though. Came back around to give us a second try. Leaving with one duck after two hours of walking is still better than leaving with none.

Is that water level down a little bit this year out there

Water levels are normal for this time of the year. The opener had slightly above normal levels, then there was the big storm in the Gulf a few days later that flooded the area under 2-3 feet of water, now things seem to be back to normal. I have not been back down there since Monday. I'm figuring now ponds are starting to freeze now?

Birdstrike: Ill let you know on Monday.