Thread: banded goldeneye

Default banded goldeneye

I mentioned a banded goldeneye from last week. Here are a couple of pictures:

You'll notice the new band is different from the standard round band. It has a clip like you'd use building a fence.
    IMG_2669.jpg
    IMG_2666.jpg
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Cool I shot one back on 10/04/2008 was banded at MP 45 chena hot springs road I also shot a buffy that same year 09/28/2008 and it was banded at MP 29.4 chena hot springs road, shot on eielson afb. Both bands were the same clip type as yours and were banded that year. Did you get any info on it yet? Both were banded by same individual which I believe is a professor at UAF. What was the numbers on it would like to know how close mine is compaired to yours. My band number is 1577-12628
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

This is the response I got in an email:

Thank you for your recent report of the GOLDENEYE with band 1577-15792.

Unfortunately, we cannot process your report immediately. This is due to one or both of these reasons:

1. There is a discrepancy or potential error in your report that will place it in a hold file until time allows us to work on resolving it.
    2. The bander has not yet submitted the data for this band so we are unable to process your report at this time.

In the case where there is a discrepancy or potential error in your report, we may need to contact you for further details on the encounter.

In the case of the banding data not currently being available, the bander is being notified that a recovery of one of their bands has occurred, along with a request that they submit the banding data as soon as possible. We are not always successful with our first attempt to obtain the banding data, but we do send second and third requests beginning a month after the first request was sent. Occasionally the bander has the band in their possession or has lost the banding data due to extenuating circumstances and we will not be able to process your report. If this is the case, you will be notified. If there are no errors in the encounter report when the banding data is received, it will automatically be processed and your certificate of appreciation will be sent

If some time has passed and you have not received your certificate, please do not report the band again, as this will just slow the process further. Instead, please contact us via email or phone, and we will be happy to provide an update on the progress of your report.

Thank you for reporting this band encounter to us. Please feel free to contact us with any questions or comments.

Please confirm the details that were submitted below and if you notice any errors, please contact us by replying to this email with history.

THE ENCOUNTER INFORMATION YOU SUBMITTED WAS:
    Band Number: 1577-15792
    Species of Bird: GOLDENEYE
    Date bird/band obtained: 10/20/2011
    How bird/band was obtained: Shot.
    Status of band after obtaining bird: REMOVED
    Present condition of bird: DEAD
    Location where bird/band was obtained:
    State/Province: Alaska
    County/Parish: Fairbanks North Star
    Nearest Town/Place: NORTH POLE

Hmmmm that's a little odd. 99% sure its the same individual DR. Taylor. Where you able to identify if it was this years bird? Did you call it in or did you submit via internet. If the numbers hold true he's been fairly busy 3164 ducks have been banded between ours

Quote Originally Posted by 900fusion View Post
    Hmmmm that's a little odd. 99% sure its the same individual DR. Taylor. Where you able to identify if it was this years bird? Did you call it in or did you submit via internet
    I called it in. When they didn't have the location for me on the phone, I figured it was a bird from this year.

Right on paper work probably not processed yet. It took me about 4 months to get my certificates

There is some research going on with goldeneyes, as well as some other sea ducks, here in Alaska in which transmitters are being surgically inserted in the ducks to track them. If you shoot a banded goldeney or other sea duck, you might check it to see if it may be one with a transmitter installed.

Not sure if this is a transmitter, but it's a neat find on an otherwise unremarkable foot...

IMG_2671.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by 900fusion View Post
    Hmmmm that's a little odd. 99% sure its the same individual DR. Taylor. Where you able to identify if it was this years bird? Did you call it in or did you submit via internet. If the numbers hold true he's been fairly busy 3164 ducks have been banded between ours
    He's FWS in Anchorage.. I called him up this morning and learned a ton about goldeneyes. I'll copy and paste an excerpt from our email exchange:

Turns out, your duck was banded as a one-day old duckling on the Chena River Lakes Flood Control Project in North Pole on 5 June 2011 in Box #54. The duckling should have also had a web-tag (#1184). If it did not have this web tag, it's very important for us to know as we are assessing band retention between web-tags and plasticine bands. Please verify the webtag was missing - you may also have noticed a hole in the web. Not sure if you still have the carcass but if so, I would appreciate you checking this out.

The duckling weighed 46.1 g, which is quite large compared to others in the brood (39.3, 37.1, 39.5, 37.7, 37.1, 37.6, 40.4, 37, 40.4). The duckling was one of 10 banded/web tagged with 3 more eggs that had not yet hatched. The three were delayed in incubation and were layed by another hen in the box (parasitism is common in goldeneyes and other cavity nesting waterfowl like wood ducks and buffleheads).

I think that's super cool information. He also attached a couple of very interesting pictures, which I'll also share.
    babygoldeneye.jpgduckbox.jpg

One more, for the baby animal lovers out there...
    goldeneyebrood.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Those are the pictures of your actual bird and it's nest box? That is really cool. It's a great outreach weapon for FWS and hopefully prompts people to submit band recoveries. That webtag is neat too. As he mentioned, checking to see how well toe tags stay on versus leg bands is important for the handling and marking (and reporting) aspect of waterfowl research. Thanks for taking the time to share it with the rest of us.

Did you see the web tag before he asked? My suspicion is yes. Good bird to end the year on.
    Go Big Red!

Quote Originally Posted by PG13 View Post
    Those are the pictures of your actual bird and it's nest box? That is really cool. It's a great outreach weapon for FWS and hopefully prompts people to submit band recoveries. That webtag is neat too. As he mentioned, checking to see how well toe tags stay on versus leg bands is important for the handling and marking (and reporting) aspect of waterfowl research. Thanks for taking the time to share it with the rest of us.

Did you see the web tag before he asked? My suspicion is yes. Good bird to end the year on.
    I think the box on the tree is #34 and mine was hatched in #54. I did not notice the webtag, nor did I even know they existed until he mentioned it this morning. I had to dig the bird out of the trash - a few days after it went in

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post
    I had to dig the bird out of the trash - a few days after it went in
    It was worth it, to me, for you to do that, awesome, birds.
    Go Big Red!

Right on glad to see you got info. Pretty neat to see pics like that

Neat story skinny- Never knew of the web tags before. I did see the 1/4" mesh on the inside of the box/that is used for the hatchlings to climb out of the box on when momma gets outside and calls to them they hopefully are able to get traction by the mesh if the insides of the boxes wood isn't ruff they would get stuck inside= is the story i have heard.

Around here most boxes for mainly woodies (Wood Duck) and sometimes Hoodie (Hooded Merganser) are out over water to deter raccoon from climbing the tree and getting the eggs/sometimes a funnel guard is used on the post to keep critters from climbing above that point even if they swim out and start to climb the boxes post. I used to maintain about 15 boxes a year=emptying shavings and removing egg shells and unhatched eggs during the winter. Luckily 1 time i tapped on the box before i put my hand in the hole as out came a red squirrel so fast it scared the heck out of me/wasn't expecting it to take up house keeping in the box.

I hear that the F&W service is getting cheap=They will not be issuing certificates for band#'s reported anymore. The word is that you can print your own out. Still kinda neat to hear where some of the birds have traveled from though. I used to hand catch banded ducks and geese during the winters about 15+ years ago when they overwinter on local rivers that remained unfrozen.

Would average about 125 ducks to 1 being banded. Some groups had 400 ducks and when they left the water to get upon the ice or shore it was all eyes on the Banded one before he got into the crowd and then it was maybe 30-50 Lbs of cracked corn later before it got close enogh to dive on=from my knees.

Got about 15 certificates that way=even got a Canada goose one time that the front half of me ended up in the water as the goose never came upon the ice. Was well worth it as that Adult Canada goose was born in 1986 or earlier and banded on 7/9/87 and i caught it on 2/6/94 = Band # 798-46627. (I just looked at the certificate) Wonder if its still alive or has been reported again?? Made it through 7 years since the banding.

Yeah I thought they would send me a certificate but instead it was a attatchment sent to me to print for myself.

Fish and Wildlife doesn't issue the certificates. That is all done by the USGS Bird Banding Laboratory. I recommend always contacting the master bander on the project (listed on the certificate as who banded the bird) to find out more about the project. And remember, our fees, on ammunition, gun sales, etc pay for all of the banding work, so be happy the feds are cheaping out -- it's saving you some money!