Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: State of AK wanting more money from Hunting guides

Default State of AK wanting more money from Hunting guides

Guides, the deadline for public comment ends tomorrow at 4:30 pm

Fees will be increased as followed

Registered or Master guide 725.00 ( 1450.00 non resident)
    Class A or assistant guide 420.00 ( 840.00 non resident)
    Transporter 725.00 (1450.00 non resident)

Send comments to Jun Maiquis

email jun.maiquis@alaska.gov

Also cc or contact your state senator/rep.

Thanks

Here is what I wrote.

I was really surprised and disappointed to see that once again the government is wanting more money from me to renew my guide license.

Was it not just raised a couple years ago from $250 to $450, now to $725.

That is way to much for a license that a lot of guys will only make money with a few days out of the year. Why is the government always wanting more?

Just to show how out of touch the Dept of Commerce is with guides, they send the Notice of Changes out when the majority of guides are out in a tent trying to make a living.

The license fees for most of the other professionals in the Notice of Changes is substantially lower. Why is this? Guides have a very limited time to make money 10-90 days per year, the average probably around days 20. The other professional have the entire year to make a income.

DO NOT adopt these new changes.

Israel Payton
    Guide # 1111
    3100 Story Book Cir
    Wasilla, AK
    907-357-5147

With the economy still being poor, many guides seeing decreased business.............would seem not the right time to be raising fees. Probably could make a case to lower them.

Doubt you'll see much sympathy from this crowd tho.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

IMO, it all boils down to greedy politicians ruining the country. The farther they put the government in debt, the more of this we will see. Why should they have to sacrifice anything, when they can make the people sacrifice?
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

It sounds like you make plenty on a few days so as to not have to work the remainder of the year.. so I donít know sympathy I can offer for the proposed fee increase.

In other occupations, the licensing board requires continuing education for re-licensing. Depending on how these credits are earned Ö obtaining CEUís could amount to thousands of dollars.

Just like the other professions, I would think you (your profession) would be savvy enough to pass the costs on to your clients.

you guys are charging around 18k to shoot a bear or moose that belongs to the state/public and your whining about a few hundred dollars. its not a big enough increase in my opinion. i have to pay all sorts of fees to renew my licenses for my job every year. no sympathy here friend.

I'd like to see the rationale for the increase before weighing in with support or dissent. Are the increased fees going to cover agency overhead? Is it going to increase education? Something else of benefit? If so, then the fee increase doesn't seem out of line. As others have mentioned, licensing fees in other occupations are equally or more expensive. My teacher's license doesn't cost as much to renew, but the continuing education credits required for renewal add a significant expense to the process. Likewise, my renewal fees for commercial fishing permits aren't as much, but the initial licensing expense was tens of thousands of dollars and I also pay a percentage of my landings in taxes directly to the state. Guides pay no per-client tax, right? Really the fees don't seem all that exorbitant, but I'm not in favor of the government raising additional fees just because they can. Was there a justification offered?

License fees for about everything needing one are going up not just guides
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    ...I'm not in favor of the government raising additional fees just because they can.
    I agree with you.

... Correct me if I'm mistaken but the State of Alaska doesn't appropriates incomes from specific sources to specific programs. Seems like it all goes into the general fund.... and is then budgeted to the programs thereafter.

To really understand this, you'd have to have followed the proposed Guide Concession Program that APHA and the state are pushing, that is still not quite in statute yet and still being debated. Especially the monetary component that keeps coming up, will guides with more money be able to out-bid guides with less money, to win their own exclusive guide concession area. Will non-resident guides be able to outbid resident guides?

I could be wrong and this proposed increase is just something planned for a long time, or needed to fund BGCSB and guide licensing and testing activities. But it sure seems a coincidence happening right now.

+1 for no sympathy whatsoever. That plea letter ought to get a chuckle... It did from me. And I'll bet guides having to pay a couple hundred more $'s is going to be high on the list for Senator/ Rep.
    Also the non-res guide thing turns my stomach anyway, they couldn't pay too much IMO.

i'll pay it. gotta pay to play. couple of points....

mark, can't recal seeing where the GCP will be placed on a bid system? i haven't heard that word in about 2 years, when i last talked with mr cox they were trying to mirror the federal prospectus they have in place now. not a biddin' war.

i don't know any guides who make enough in 2 months to not have a regular job the rest of the year.

18k for a bear hunt, is not 18k of profit. even though most guides are in the field seasonally, they still work at their business year round.

there is way more open season out there for guides to work for 1-3 months...i guide almost 8 full months...

bottom line, if your in a line of work that makes money, everyone involved will want as much of it as possible...land use fees, permits, insurance, guide licenses, business licenses..ect. ya this will hurt the guide who only does a few hunts or contracts with someone else for 2 hunts a year or something,but for my business, i'll pay it. and never look back.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

A Hunting/fishing/trapping license was 25$ a few years ago, now it 62$ I think.......

Looking "up" all over........." i'll pay it. and never look back." .......seems the best way to go about it........
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

im sorry i realize the 18k is not all profit...some of it is used for fuel for aerial scouting to find a client a specific trophy to take home . just joking a little(except it applies in some cases). i realize there is a lot of overhead but as with all jobs sometime we have to pay to play as was said.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I'd like to see the rationale for the increase before weighing in with support or dissent. Are the increased fees going to cover agency overhead? Is it going to increase education? Something else of benefit? If so, then the fee increase doesn't seem out of line. As others have mentioned, licensing fees in other occupations are equally or more expensive. My teacher's license doesn't cost as much to renew, but the continuing education credits required for renewal add a significant expense to the process. Likewise, my renewal fees for commercial fishing permits aren't as much, but the initial licensing expense was tens of thousands of dollars and I also pay a percentage of my landings in taxes directly to the state. Guides pay no per-client tax, right? Really the fees don't seem all that exorbitant, but I'm not in favor of the government raising additional fees just because they can. Was there a justification offered?
    It is statutory the Div corp, business, and prof licensing has to review fee levels to see if regulatory cost equal the fees collected. The increase covers all guides, assistant guides and class a guides not just outfitters. By the way guide have until 4:30pm tomorrow to say their piece.
    Chuck

Sounds a little steep to me. A lot of us work for a daily wage for just a few weeks out of the year. Perhaps a fee could be added to a contracted hunt so the guide who is actually receiving that $18000. suffers the cost. Brownbear, you are the man- Guiding almost 8 months a year and posting over 3000 times. You must have the energy of a wolverine!

Most of you guys are missing the point. I guess you'll just roll over anytime the Government wants more. The Dept of Comm. is raising the rates of a lot of other working stiffs too. Yes, outfitter/ guides charge 18k for a bear but most guides are like me.

I will good out for 1 or 2 hunts a year working for a outfitter because I love hunting and seeing new country.

When will the government stop balancing their budget on the backs of the working class. If any of you think that is the right thing to do , well I guess you'll be voting for OBAMA next election.

Accordingto statute, its supposeto be revenue neutral, the cost of administering the licensing program is suppose to be paid by the license fees collected, not to the general fund for other operating expenses. IT would be nice if the balance sheet was available to see what the actual situation is. Someone over there has an extremely narow view of the situation with workers in the state and I know in one situation, the proposed increases cannot be justified.

Bill S. You are right, the BGCSG is operating in the red. That is the problem with government , they create a unneeded board or agency and cant control their budget and want more money. How many times have we seen this happen.

Here are their finances.

GUIfeesletter&financialschedule.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by SkwentnaMan View Post
    When will the government stop balancing their budget on the backs of the working class.
    I don't think that we are missing your point. I agree that I don't like the government taking more so what is your plan to keep them out of all of our pockets?

When you speak of government, do you mean state or federal? Are they really balancing the budget on the backs of the working class. For example, with the feds, I wasn't aware that they were balancing their budgets. With the state, I recall the old graphs that track the the price of oil required to offset the state's spending.

While you may be unhappy that they are raising the fee ... others will wonder why the fees were so low in the first place .... or consider that when I go to the grocery store - the prices for milk, cheese, and bread have seemed to gone up.

Quote Originally Posted by SkwentnaMan View Post
    Bill S. You are right, the BGCSG is operating in the red. That is the problem with government , they create a unneeded board or agency and cant control their budget and want more money. How many times have we seen this happen.

Here are their finances.

GUIfeesletter&financialschedule.pdf
    I understand your frustration.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast