Thread: Shipping Guns to Utah

Default Shipping Guns to Utah

I just got transferred from Anchorage to Utah for work and I need to ship my 22 rifle and 9mm handgun. What is the easiest way to do this? Do most gun stores do this shipping and how do I find them? Any help would be appreciated. I did a search but couldn't find a thread with exact info.

Ship to yourself in care o someone where you are going.
    http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unli...rent-purchases
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Go to gunbroker.com and use the FFL finder to find FFLs on both ends for the best price. There are guys that are as cheap as $10 plus postage (even free sometimes for military) out there and they can mail handguns at the post office because they are FFLs. You are likely looking at $30 to $50 or so in FFL fees on 2 guns plus postage if you shop around on gunbroker . . . gun shops will be more like $40 per gun on each end.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Ship to yourself in care o someone where you are going.
    http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unli...rent-purchases
    That will work with the rifle at the post office but you run into a mess with the handgun and UPS/FedEx company policies that make the FFLs cheaper because they cam mail handguns.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Take it on the airplane if your flying down. It's very easy. There are several threads on here about it, maybe even a sticky...

You may want to find out what Utah's residency requirements are before shipping your handgun to a Utah FFL. If they say you have to be there for xx days before being considered a resident for handgun purchase purposes then you have to wait xx days. If there is a requirement more than getting a drivers license, I wouldn't like waiting.

Quote Originally Posted by scottr View Post
    You may want to find out what Utah's residency requirements are before shipping your handgun to a Utah FFL. If they say you have to be there for xx days before being considered a resident for handgun purchase purposes then you have to wait xx days. If there is a requirement more than getting a drivers license, I wouldn't like waiting.
    Good point so I emailed an old high school buddy that is now an FFL down in Logan Utah about residency. The way he describes it sounds very much like Alaska. Being ďdomiciledĒ in Utah makes you a resident and that is validated by having a Utah drivers license, ID card, voter ID etc. No requirement to have ďbeenĒ a resident for a set time or anything . . . you must have ďbeenĒ a resident for 30 days to vote in Utah but if you have a Utah DL you meet the residency requirement to buy a handgun the day you get it.

Here is a link he sent me about Utah residency law.
    http://le.utah.gov/~code/TITLE20A/htm/20A02_010500.htm
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    Take it on the airplane if your flying down. It's very easy. There are several threads on here about it, maybe even a sticky...
    Absolutely the way I'd take the 9mm. A small lockable case will slip easily into your checked luggage and there will be no extra cost or hassle involved. USPS the rifle to yourself at your new address or c/o yourself to a trustworthy soul in UT.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    A small lockable case will slip easily into your checked luggage...
    Last time I flew I purposely picked a large hard case, not a small one. For a single handgun. And I'll do it every time I fly now, even if I don't want or need a gun on the other end.

A small pistol-sized hard case might be secure enough to meet baggage requirements and slip easily into your checked luggage, but is also small enough to slip into a jacket or coveralls. All a thief has to do is 'inspect' your unlocked (or locked with joke TSA locks) luggage and stuff the conveniently small locked hard case into their work clothes. Not that I am suggesting that baggage handlers or TSA monkeys would do anything like that.

So I used my photo hard case (same as a Pelican or Hardigg) that is just smaller than the max size for checked baggage. No oversize or overweight fees, and everything I had in the case with the handgun was locked and secure with non-TSA locks (which because of the handgun the TSApes couldn't cut off).

All the best parts of the deer came back in the same case too.

I fly a lot and have never had a problem carrying a handgun in a small lockable case within my checked bag--YMMV. Can someone steal my handgun out of my bag? Of course they can. Do I worry about such things? Never. I simply have too much to do to worry over what ifs.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    I fly a lot and have never had a problem carrying a handgun in a small lockable case within my checked bag--YMMV. Can someone steal my handgun out of my bag? Of course they can. Do I worry about such things? Never. I simply have too much to do to worry over what ifs.
    Me also, never had a bit of trouble. Iím sure if there was heads would roll as soon as I report my handgun, that TSA checked in and gave me a receipt for, went missing behind the airport security lines someplace! Talk about a mess, they would likely close both airports and be all over the news till it was found.

The problem I see with using a large case with all your other stuff in there is then you canít take ammo because the gun must be locked away from the ammo. Ammo folded in my clothing and a handgun case on top all in my rolling suitcase is the way I do it.

I assumed because he is moving he would be driving through Canada. If flying I'd fly them all with me. I flew back from Arizona after my Dad died with I think 6 long guns and 7 or 8 handguns . . . went down with 2 handguns. Cost me like $300 in bag fees because I never thought to tape cases together making 2 or 3 count as one, you get 50 pounds for the fee. So now I pack a roll of duck tape in there too at the suggestion of a Phoenix TSA guy.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    The problem I see with using a large case with all your other stuff in there is then you canít take ammo because the gun must be locked away from the ammo. Ammo folded in my clothing and a handgun case on top all in my rolling suitcase is the way I do it...I flew back from Arizona after my Dad died with I think 6 long guns and 7 or 8 handguns . . . went down with 2 handguns. Cost me like $300 in bag fees because I never thought to tape cases together making 2 or 3 count as one, you get 50 pounds for the fee. So now I pack a roll of duck tape in there too at the suggestion of a Phoenix TSA guy.
    Another great idea for duct tape. Thanks Andy!

Default traveling

The problem I see with using a large case with all your other stuff in there is then you canít take ammo because the gun must be locked away from the ammo. Ammo folded in my clothing and a handgun case on top all in my rolling suitcase is the way I do it.

Not correct: read the rules of carriage for your airline on line; ammo can be in the case. Oh, did it last week on AA. Amounts do vary with the airlines so print off and have the rules on hand.

Also: Alaska may not allow taping cases together, and may count the taped cases indiviually.
    Yes I have taped cases together before w/no problem, seems to vary with the counter person and time of day..

Mil ID helps a lot in the regard.

TSA cannot seem to make up mind on locks on gun cases: TSA lock, no TSA locks, locking each lock, inspected gapped casess whew...always a crap shoot when I show up with guns.

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by allen-ak View Post
    Not correct: read the rules of carriage for your airline on line; ammo can be in the case. Oh, did it last week on AA. Amounts do vary with the airlines so print off and have the rules on hand.
    They must have changed that ammo rule without my noticing but back in the 90s (pre TSA) I know you couldnít. Always thought it stupid so itís good news.

Also: Alaska may not allow taping cases together, and may count the taped cases indiviually.
    Yes I have taped cases together before w/no problem, seems to vary with the counter person and time of day..
    I've never had an issue with the tape at all, they can't dictate the packaging beyond the Federal rule. Unless itís TOO big or TOO heavy as long as itís a legal item to fly all they can do is charge bag, size, and weight fees and tell you they are not responsible for damage to whatever it is. Iíve never had to fight them on the tape yet but I sure would. Whatís the difference if itís a cooler taped shut, a backpack and sleeping bag tied with rope, 5 fly rod cases with straps, or 2 gun cases taped together . . . if it moves as one thing itĎs one thing.

You should see some of the stuff I have checked over the years, 160 pound Anvil, all kinds of aerospace machining fixtures . . . try checking a prototype Mustang missile housing bolted to a fixture or a bunch of A6 tale hooks at LAX. When my anvil slid off the conveyer onto the turn table at the Anchorage north terminal it made a BANG that sent people ducking and I thought it broke the table . . . embarrassing to go clam it as mine after that!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Mil ID helps a lot in the regard.

TSA cannot seem to make up mind on locks on gun cases: TSA lock, no TSA locks, locking each lock, inspected gapped casess whew...always a crap shoot when I show up with guns.

thanks!
    If you go on the individual Airlines Website they post the requirements for this. Also the Department
    of Homeland buffoonary also lists the requirements.