Thread: Need Info re: November Crescent Lake Trip

Default Need Info re: November Crescent Lake Trip

A buddy and I are considering a mid-November trip to Crescent Lake on the Kenai Peninsula. The plan would be:

Day 1 - Carter Lake Trailhead to Crescent Saddle Cabin (7 miles)
    Day 2 - Crescent Saddle Cabin to Crescent Lake Cabin (4 miles)
    Day 3 - Crescent Lake Cabin to Crescent Creek Trailhead (6.5 miles)

I have a few questions and would appreciate any insight folks could offer:

- Is the Crescent Creek trail open in November?
    - I've read that there is "extreme avalanche danger" along the trail. Anybody know what the scoop is?
    - Does anyone know what the likelihood will be that the trail will be packed? We aren't sure whether snowshoes, skis, or boots would be most appropriate.

Any other information folks might be able to provide would be greatly appreciated.

I have done the hike a few times in the summer, but I thought they left that area open every other year to snowmachines but I could be wrong. I would imagine it would be walkable but snowshoes couldnt hurt, as for avalanches it is very steep and bare ground so i would check snow conditions before you go... I hope i helped a little.

Real steep coming off the highway in spots. Never thought about hiking it in winter. But then again I don't take my boat out in winter either have fun stay safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

The folks at Chugach National Forest, Seward Ranger District have always been real helpful when I have called them on trail reports.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/!ut/p/c4/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gjAwhwtDDw9_AI8zPyhQ oY6BdkOyoCAGixyPg!/?ss=111004&navtype=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&cid=stelprdb504 7050&navid=091000000000000&pnavid=null&position=No t
    Yet Determined.Html&ttype=detail&pname=Chugach National Forest- Home

Forest Trail Updates
    BE SURE TO FOLLOW US ON TWITTER FOR THE LATEST TRAIL UPDATES

I don't do twitter so I am unsure if this still applies.

Do you have the cabins reserved......? I do Crescent Lake about twice a year, in the summer. I would go in the Cooper Landing way & out the Carter Lake way. Not likely that the trail will be packed. One would have to be very skilled to cross country ski that trail (Safely). I would wear good warm boots & carry snowshoes. But would not go in there "Without" snowshoes. Note: Firewood is nearly non-existent near the cabins.