Thread: Need a water storage box to cradle a 55 gallon drum stove? ANY IDEAS?

Default Need a water storage box to cradle a 55 gallon drum stove? ANY IDEAS?

In my mind I want a water box similar to the ak tent & tarp small stove box in the arctic oven. Stainless, Ideas?? 55 gallon drum works the best for my trapper cabin setup. Thanks
    Lynn
    ER, remote cabin ready for winter up north.

Default ANY ideas??

I thought someone would have something, I want to keep it simple, If I could have removed it this year I would do something different, maybe next year.

Are you looking for a woodstove water heater? Something that sits next to the stove to have hot water for morning wash? I am unsure what you want?

George

Hello George, just something that will sit on top of a 55 gallon drum barrel stove. Thanks

It seems simple. Make a saddle to sit on the barrel stove and put whatever container you want on top of it to heat up. You could use it to cook, too. Standard steel drums are 24 or 25" in diameter. Making a couple of saddle pieces with an expanded metal shelf to sit on a barrel should be easy for anyone with a welder. The "legs" could be radiused to fit the barrel shape or straight to run lengthwise on the barrel sides. Come to think of it, I could make the latter very easily without a welder. Just a couple of sticks of angle and a handful of bolts/nuts. A stainless box? I'd go to General Mechanical or Alaska Sheet Metal for that but I'd settle for a big cook pot first. More versatile. Big stainless steel cook pots are available in lots of stores.

In my steam bath on the island I have taken a hammer and flattened out a section of the top of the stove to sit a large pot on it. It takes some time to heat any amount of water for use to bathe with but if you are just looking for warm water to wash with this wouls work fine. Mine, being in the steam bath I don't care how it looks so this works for me. If you wanted to get real creative you could rig a couple fittings, one high one low and get 1/2 inch soft copper pipe and come out of the bottom fitting make loops around the stove pipe and back to the top fitting. Fill with water and let the heating begin once you get the fire going using the heat that escapes up the chimney.

George

I give Mr. Pid idea a try, when I replace the barrel i will do something different. Thanks!